Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalapeno

ESPN+

1 hour ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Talk about a ripoff. Especially for people that already pay for ESPN content through their OTT or cable provider.

I'd wait until the fall/winter months to make that determination after college football and basketball are in full swing.

And Disney hasn't closed on that huge Fox deal where they would get the regional Fox Sports channels that has like at least 20 teams each from the NHL, NBA, and MLB.

On 4/12/2018 at 5:10 PM, Jalapeno said:

Free for how much longer?  Assuming that each school has 20,000 subscribers at $10 per month, that's $30M in the bank for the MWC before dividing up among the members which would be about $2.5M per school which ironically is the same amount that each Pac-12 school gets from the P12N.

The Sun Belt, MLS Out of Market, FCS conferences, etc have inked deals with ESPN which will use the ESPN+ service as well.  It's good to see that ESPN has competition from Stadium and perhaps Stadium will outbid ESPN in this case.  Are Stadium subscribers able to watch re-runs of football games?  I'm going to dive into ESPN+ tonight and see what I find.

It'll be free for quite some time.  We get more viewers to watch games than we would with a subscription based.  The MW decided that having free access to the MWDN is the best way to gain and retain fans.  It has taken some time but now we get some revenue from ads and it would be much more than subs paying a fee.  

Don't assume the MW will have all these fans pay $10/month...they won't just like the PAC fans.   Some of our content as well as the Patriot and WCC will be on Stadium Plus paid platform.  

As to your question about Stadium, yes subscribers are able to watch re-runs of football games, however, 95% of those are already available on VOD via Stadium on the MWDN for free.  You'll just see some ads before it plays.  

After ESPN perfects the service and shows others that sports on demand could be monetized at a reasonable price, it'll be the end of the likes of ESPN3 and Stadium's free streams.  This would be for people whose ISP does not have ESPN3 and I think the contracts for the ISPs to carry ESPN3 for free are nearing an end so ESPN3 basically gets folded into ESPN+.

11 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Don't assume the MW will have all these fans pay $10/month...they won't just like the PAC fans.   Some of our content as well as the Patriot and WCC will be on Stadium Plus paid platform.  

As to your question about Stadium, yes subscribers are able to watch re-runs of football games, however, 95% of those are already available on VOD via Stadium on the MWDN for free.  You'll just see some ads before it plays.  

Honestly PAC and MWC fans aren't really that much different outside that G5-P5 schism.

And thanks for the tip...I'm a huge fan of triple option based teams so that means I get to watch AFA & UNM football games.

On 4/12/2018 at 12:34 PM, Bruininthebay said:

Link? The contracts and business relationships certainly aren't structured that way.

No one ever expected the Pac 12 Network to make significant profits but fan boys, as any quick google search will demonstrate

Uhh....seriously?

You can LOL at me but I watched CU's women's lacrosse beat Stanford in sudden death OT to take the lead in the Pac-12 standings.  I wasn't expecting to be that entertained by a women's lacrosse game but I was.  I'm definitely going to watch more lacrosse men or women but it hit me about ESPN+ that it is a platform for live niche sports.  Now I want to watch more lacrosse and since lacrosse is still niche, this would be a good platform of choice.

I want to make a clairification on the MLB.tv and NHL.tv feature.  There will be one free MLB/NHL game stream every day but you still get the replays for a better price.  If you want live streams of those games, that would be like $30.00 per month per sport.  MLS probably cost closer to $20.00 but now their game streams are on ESPN+.  $80.00 per month if you wanted live sports if my math is correct which also included the replays but you are getting the replays for $5 in this case...what a deal.

Rugby and soccer probably will be big on this platform.  I'm getting more into those niche sports that will most likely have their media rights online and if you are like me, this would be worth checking out especially the 30 day free trail.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:36 AM, RSF said:

The problem with both Pac 12 and MWC networks was not in their existence, but in how ownership was determined, because in both cases the ownership structure affected distribution.

Problem for both is fan base and interest. There just isn’t enough interest to demand the distribution needed to generate the huge revenues.  The PAC is really a distant 5th amongst P5’s in this department and the MWC isn’t even worth commenting on.  The west in general just doesn’t care about college sports like other areas of the country.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

Problem for both is fan base and interest. There just isn’t enough interest to demand the distribution needed to generate the huge revenues.  The PAC is really a distant 5th amongst P5’s in this department and the MWC isn’t even worth commenting on.  The west in general just doesn’t care about college sports like other areas of the country.

I think there might be a little truth to your last statement but mostly,  it's all about population density and time zones. 

The reported Fox/ESPN joint bid for UFC rights would include a dozen events a year streaming on ESPN+.  So clearly Disney does not intent the new service to be for 'leftovers'.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

10 hours ago, RSF said:

The reported Fox/ESPN joint bid for UFC rights would include a dozen events a year streaming on ESPN+.  So clearly Disney does not intent the new service to be for 'leftovers'.

If they fold UFC fight pass in to ESPN+ and do 12 events a year I will pay for it. Otherwise, hell no.

On 4/14/2018 at 6:46 AM, renoskier said:

I think there might be a little truth to your last statement but mostly,  it's all about population density and time zones. 

Part of it really is just a different culture out West.  Back East, especially in the SEC country, Texas, and parts of the B1G, football is just viewed differently.  People plan their day around it. My experience out West is less people plan their day around games and more do their activities and then watch the game if they don't have other things going on.  In some places back East there isn't a lot else going on so football is the main attraction, especially in the colder climates.  Just a different mentality.  

On 4/18/2018 at 6:39 PM, Wyobraska said:

Part of it really is just a different culture out West.  Back East, especially in the SEC country, Texas, and parts of the B1G, football is just viewed differently.  People plan their day around it. My experience out West is less people plan their day around games and more do their activities and then watch the game if they don't have other things going on.  In some places back East there isn't a lot else going on so football is the main attraction, especially in the colder climates.  Just a different mentality.  

That is true and at the same time, the lack of administrative support for those western teams is noticed by the fans.  If you were a long time CU fan like me, you would notice the day and night difference of the Big 8/12 and Pac-12.  Big 8/12 was about football & basketball while the Pac-12 is about the olympic sports even if they happen to field football & basketball teams.  CU's administration has adopted this mentality and has had that since the later Hawkins days...almost like CU knew it was going to leave the Big 12 anyway.  

46 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

And no one knows what Stadium is or where to find it.  

Only time I heard about it was from this forum.

MWC's next media rights deal ought to be with ESPN and no special deal for Boise State or Gonzaga. ;)

On 4/14/2018 at 5:45 AM, NorCalCoug said:

I’ll have to disagree with the P12 being a distant 5th among P5 conferences. Look no further than primary tv contracts. We are only behind the SEC and B10 in tv revenue. Our deal was inked in 2011 so any other conference with newer deals might pass us but last I checked, we were ahead of the ACC and about par with the B12. Once we get a new deal, the scale should stay the same based on market conditions.

There is simply too much research that goes into these contracts to be off as far as dollar figures, so clearly there is more interest than what you are suggesting. I do agree that the western culture is different from back east simply because there is more other activites in the west. We will never match B10 or SEC numbers but the rest is very comparable.

To the other posters throwing around revenue numbers for the P12 network, the correct amount is 2.5 million per team in 2017. Where it needs to be? No but growing. And certainly not comparable to the old MTN network in the MWC as some here have suggested. Last I checked, there was zero profit from that and had to be shut down when Utah and BYU left.

28 minutes ago, utenation said:

I’ll have to disagree with the P12 being a distant 5th among P5 conferences. Look no further than primary tv contracts. We are only behind the SEC and B10 in tv revenue. Our deal was inked in 2011 so any other conference with newer deals might pass us but last I checked, we were ahead of the ACC and about par with the B12. Once we get a new deal, the scale should stay the same based on market conditions.

There is simply too much research that goes into these contracts to be off as far as dollar figures, so clearly there is more interest than what you are suggesting. I do agree that the western culture is different from back east simply because there is more other activites in the west. We will never match B10 or SEC numbers but the rest is very comparable.

To the other posters throwing around revenue numbers for the P12 network, the correct amount is 2.5 million per team in 2017. Where it needs to be? No but growing. And certainly not comparable to the old MTN network in the MWC as some here have suggested. Last I checked, there was zero profit from that and had to be shut down when Utah and BYU left.

I believe the Pac-12 is now in fourth behind the Big 12.  A lot of the Big 12 and Pac-12 comparsions have used just the Big 12's tier 1 & 2 payments compared to the full Pac-12 payments where it would appear both schools are even.  The individual third tier rights of the Big 12 schools would get the Big 12 past the Pac-12 at this point.

http://awfulannouncing.com/league-networks/athletic-directors-worried-pac-12-networks-payments-distribution-compared-sec-big-ten-nets.html

I'm giving the P12N two more college sports seasons before a decision is made on its future.

Larry Scott better be working on how he is going to sell the continuance of the P12N to USC & UCLA.

4 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

I believe the Pac-12 is now in fourth behind the Big 12.  A lot of the Big 12 and Pac-12 comparsions have used just the Big 12's tier 1 & 2 payments compared to the full Pac-12 payments where it would appear both schools are even.  The individual third tier rights of the Big 12 schools would get the Big 12 past the Pac-12 at this point.

http://awfulannouncing.com/league-networks/athletic-directors-worried-pac-12-networks-payments-distribution-compared-sec-big-ten-nets.html

I'm giving the P12N two more college sports seasons before a decision is made on its future.

Larry Scott better be working on how he is going to sell the continuance of the P12N to USC & UCLA.

Yup - The Big 12 Tier 3 numbers vary wildly - from a little less than 1 mil a yr (TCU, which intentionally gave up money for other benefits) to Texas (15) and OU/WV (around 8 to 9).  Meanwhile the P12 schools are getting 1 mil each from P12N.  And the B12 schools benefit from being fewer in number - so that the per-school difference is about 4 mil a year (plus Tier 3) in the B12's favor.  And its widening, thanks in part to the addition of the B12 CCG.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.