thelawlorfaithful

HOT TAKE! Will argue for free.

48 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I hate science fiction soooo much after reading this thread.

It's space opera

• Confused 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, CPslograd said:

Second-best quarterback in Jets history.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, nomascows said:

You sound depressed.  Take some Hell On Wheels and Longmire and call me in the morning.  The fat and stupid part is hard to debate but damn.

Those aren't network television. Those are cable television. Network tv is ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS(at least that how I consider it). I general I agree that network shows are awful compared to cable. I guess I watch a few good comedies on them like Brooklyn 99 and the good place but not many network shows. Cable has some great shows(even though I am not much of a  fan of the ones you mentioned).

In fact here is my hot take...."Atlanta" is the best show on television and Donald Glover is the most talented entertainer today and a national treasure.

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

Star wars is space opera.  Like Flash Gordon (great movie in its day btw).

i think star trek is usually considered sci fi, isn't it?

Trekkies pretend it is. It's space opera too. It's always operated as "let's make up something we want to do and handwavium our way into being able to do it", their handwavium just incorporates some physics instead of gobbledygook. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Black Mirror is the only good thing sci-fi has going for it right now.  Excellent show.

The Expanse? 

Also, novel wise or show wise? novel wise sci fi is undergoing a little bit of a quality renaissance IMO.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Really?  That is awesome.  Give me some reading suggestions please.

The Fifth Season and sequels, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and sequels by NK Jemsin (last one is fantasy)

Altered Carbon - It's been out a while but I just learned of it. 

Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos - military sci fi. Dystopian in a "way too many people" way that current population trends seem to indicate isn't likely but still a very interesting read. You can substitute "overpopulation" with "obsolete due to automation" and the book's themes work just about exactly as well. 

Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi. His other books are good, but this one is excellent. 

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. Interesting scenario and it plays with gender norms by explicitly not stating the gender of anybody with pronouns. That works a lot better than it sounds, it makes you think a lot more about the characters when you read it. 

Comedy wise, it came out a few years ago, Redshirts is great. A take on how living in a Star Trek universe would be for the characters and I'll leave it at that. 

56 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Trekkies pretend it is. It's space opera too. It's always operated as "let's make up something we want to do and handwavium our way into being able to do it", their handwavium just incorporates some physics instead of gobbledygook. 

You mean you can't just push a button and get artificial gravity?

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Dragon Ball Z>Star Trek.

Dragon Ball Z is garbage made for the intellectually incapable. 

• Like 1
On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I do not disagree, making my statement all the more potent.

I’m disgusted, and willing to duel. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Dragon Ball Z>Star Trek.

Dragon Ball > Simpsons

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

My balls > Dragon Balls.

You have 8+ balls?!

• Haha 1