Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada6077

Big Dance

I have been thinking of coaching and being in a mid major conference. Is it better to be a big fish in MWC? Or just  another coach in the PAC12?  Lets take Washington state or Oregon state for example since 2000 and compare to Few or Muss (so far). Why would you want to go to a larger conference?  Since 2000 many of the mid majors have made more appearances then the teams these coaches would go to!  See Fox at Georgia! Who are the coaches that went from mid major that did well and how many struggled? My guess is many more struggled!

Sometimes the grass isn't greener and the water bill is more!

thoughts

But what if you’re already rich?  I mean I can see a bump from 1 mill to 4 being tough to pass up, but the PAC 12, besides AZ, doesn’t pay 4+ mill. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/arizonas-sean-miller-tops-list-of-pac-12-coaching-salaries-at-4m-a-year/

Personally I don’t see Muss leaving for the money, if he leaves (imo) it will be because he thinks he can win a national championship there.  Although I could also see him leaving for a place that provides a much bigger basketball budget.  Who knows?  It’s the off season so this is kind of a fun thought experiment, but at the end of the day there isn’t much I can do besides support the program.

43 minutes ago, Nevada6077 said:

would you rather make 1.5 million in new mexico, Nevada, or eastern washington or say 2.5 mill in bay area or northern mexico i.e.southern cal?

Is this a trick question? You take the 2.5 million. 

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

It is a little skewed though. Nobody in th MWC makes $1.5 million. On the face of it, the extra million is worth 525k after taxes. Throw in the median house in Berkeley is $1.3 vs $330k in Reno. Attractiveness narrows from an economic perspective. I prefer Reno to Berkeley from a lifestyle perspective though, all things being equal. I can't say the same about Albuquerque or Cheney(I've never been there.)

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

A lot of that extra mil will be eaten up by housing costs and taxes. And then you factor in uprooting your 8 y/o daughter who is thriving in her current environment. He has said more than once that he doesn't want to put Mariah though all the moves he put his sons through. 

Muss can wait for his dream job to open up. Or he could take a high paying P5 job that doesn't have much of a bb tradition and be tasked with building a program. Or he could stick around and see what he can build in Reno.  

He pursued the NV job partly because he wanted to raise his daughter here.  And he already turned down Cal.  It's not like he's chomping at the bit to move on. 

I think he's gone after next season. But if he stays after next year, we may have him for awhile. 

I'm a little encouraged that he's actively recruiting for 2019/20, but I'm not reading a whole lot into that. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

53 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

A lot of that extra mil will be eaten up by housing costs and taxes. And then you factor in uprooting your 8 y/o daughter who is thriving in her current environment. He has said more than once that he doesn't want to put Mariah though all the moves he put his sons through. 

Muss can wait for his dream job to open up. Or he could take a high paying P5 job that doesn't have much of a bb tradition and be tasked with building a program. Or he could stick around and see what he can build in Reno.  

He pursued the NV job partly because he wanted to raise his daughter here.  And he already turned down Cal.  It's not like he's chomping at the bit to move on. 

I think he's gone after next season. But if he stays after next year, we may have him for awhile. 

I'm a little encouraged that he's actively recruiting for 2019/20, but I'm not reading a whole lot into that. 

He recruiting high school kids for his next stop.

5 hours ago, Nevada6077 said:

would you rather make 1.5 million in new mexico, Nevada, or eastern washington or say 2.5 mill in bay area or northern mexico i.e.southern cal?

It’s deeper than just salary though. It’s about program resources. Recruiting budget, assistants salary pool, charter flights, money for home games, facilities. All those things make a big impact as well.

I just can't understand why anybody would live anywhere besides Reno. I mean, it's just a great value.  You couldn't pay me 3 times my salary to live anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Mad_Hatter said:

It’s deeper than just salary though. It’s about program resources. Recruiting budget, assistants salary pool, charter flights, money for home games, facilities. All those things make a big impact as well.

The admin is going to have to step up if they want to keep this going. 

It will take pressure from the community and some donations to make that happen. 

Barack Obama

57 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I just can't understand why anybody would live anywhere besides Reno. I mean, it's just a great value.  You couldn't pay me 3 times my salary to live anywhere else.

Toonkee might be growing a brain. Or maybe @Joe from WY hooked him up with some of the good stuff. 

Either way, we haven't seen this kind  of sound reasoning from him until today. 

Barack Obama

7 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

It is a little skewed though. Nobody in th MWC makes $1.5 million. On the face of it, the extra million is worth 525k after taxes. Throw in the median house in Berkeley is $1.3 vs $330k in Reno. Attractiveness narrows from an economic perspective. I prefer Reno to Berkeley from a lifestyle perspective though, all things being equal. I can't say the same about Albuquerque or Cheney(I've never been there.)

6 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Sorry guys, I want Muss to stay forever but even with housing expense and taxes, it doesn't cost a million more a year to live in the Bay area or SoCal. And although I don't think I'd want to live there, give me a million more a year than I'm already making and I'll suffer.

8 hours ago, renoskier said:

You must like the Bay Area because 2.5 mil in the Bay Area isn't chit. A 750k house in a nice Reno neighborhood will cost you 2.5 mil in a good Bay Area neighborhood. And you'll spend half your life in your car trying to get anywhere. Massive time wasted in traffic has a monetary value for most people. 

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

Come on. You getting to live in the Bay Area is like Muslims going home to Mecca. You would probably pay good money just for the opportunity to live in left wing bliss. 😀

kat.jpg

23 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Sorry guys, I want Muss to stay forever but even with housing expense and taxes, it doesn't cost a million more a year to live in the Bay area or SoCal. And although I don't think I'd want to live there, give me a million more a year than I'm already making and I'll suffer.

True, but it doesn't account for whatever raise we can offer. 

It's unlikely Muss stays after next year, but that doesn't mean there is no hope.  

Muss wouldn't be the first coach to pass on better jobs because he likes it where he is. They are rare, but they're out there.  Maybe a nice raise would keep him for a couple more years. 

News of an extension would be nice, but also no guarantee. 

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

The Reno median home price is nearly double that of Vegas. It isn't such a good value anymore...

Coaches move “up” for a lot of reasons. One plus for Nevada is Muss has already seen the big time and it may not be his cup of tea. If he thinks he can recruit well enough to have a shot at a NC and Nevada is willing to pony up $1.5-2.0M, I think he stays for a long time. He sure as hell enjoyed this past season and that happiness doesn’t happen at very many places even in the big time. 

I hope he stays around awhile. I’ve even grown fond of his nonsense on the sidelines.