Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Nevada basketball incoming transfers

2 hours ago, Lobonado said:

Not a bad group you've got there, but UNM's incoming transfers are better. 

Definitely looking forward to watching UNM next season. Weir as followed Muss' plan to a T, hopefully you guys have similar results.

5 hours ago, Lobonado said:

It will be interesting to see if Weir can get the transfers to produce. Muss has brought in high performing mid major transfers with chips on their shoulders. UNM has disenchanted high level players that didn't perform to their hype (Lyle excluded) looking for a new start. Muss has done it with both probably due to his NBA experience. Not all coaches have been able to get high rated tranfers to produce. Lyle will be a stud though.

30 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

It will be interesting to see if Weir can get the transfers to produce. Muss has brought in high performing mid major transfers with chips on their shoulders. UNM has disenchanted high level players that didn't perform to their hype (Lyle excluded) looking for a new start. Muss has done it with both probably due to his NBA experience. Not all coaches have been able to get high rated tranfers to produce. Lyle will be a stud though.

Next years transfers are definitely high performing low/mid major players, but this years sweet 16 squad was nearly all high major players. Twins, Stephens, Hallice were all power 5 and Caroline was MVC so similar league to MWC. Marcus Marshall year before was MVC too so similar league to MWC.

This is why I’m in a bit of wait and see mode with the 4 transfers sitting out, all are from bad leagues. The best league is WCC with Jazz Johnson. Thus will see how the transfer model works with low major guys.

2 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Rumor is Hutson is bringing McDaniels with him to Fresno. 

I would think that would be unlikely... a player who declares for the draft seems more likely to return to his original school or go G-League rather than sit out a year.

8 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

I would think that would be unlikely... a player who declares for the draft seems more likely to return to his original school or go G-League rather than sit out a year.

Two years right? Since it would be within conference. 

8 hours ago, Lobonado said:

I would agree but our incomings, besides Thurman, won’t be asked to do much...unless of course the big three depart.  Looking forward to watching Nevada compete at the PIT.

3 hours ago, Jaredcg said:

Next years transfers are definitely high performing low/mid major players, but this years sweet 16 squad was nearly all high major players. Twins, Stephens, Hallice were all power 5 and Caroline was MVC so similar league to MWC. Marcus Marshall year before was MVC too so similar league to MWC.

This is why I’m in a bit of wait and see mode with the 4 transfers sitting out, all are from bad leagues. The best league is WCC with Jazz Johnson. Thus will see how the transfer model works with low major guys.

I would consider MVC guys mid majors. Marshall, Caroline and Criswell (JC). Borderline 2-3* guys. I think our complement of transfers would be considered good if not for the success of the Martins. It's a high bar, not to mention they are coming back (hopefully). Not a lot of playing time to show what they can do next year. Good problem to have. Thurman impresses in that clip. I guess you play the one hot hand of the three scoring guards if you need a spark off the bench.

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

I would consider MVC guys mid majors. Marshall, Caroline and Criswell (JC). Borderline 2-3* guys. I think our complement of transfers would be considered good if not for the success of the Martins. It's a high bar, not to mention they are coming back (hopefully). Not a lot of playing time to show what they can do next year. Good problem to have. Thurman impresses in that clip. I guess you play the one hot hand of the three scoring guards if you need a spark off the bench.

Reason I said “nearly” all power 5 guys. Criswell wasn’t a Muss guy. The reason I mentioned Marshall and Caroline is they are mid major guys but similar league to MWC. Will see how the low majors guys work out, as you said besides Thurman the guards might not get much run if Drew, Martins and Caroline all are back.

6 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Reason I said “nearly” all power 5 guys. Criswell wasn’t a Muss guy. The reason I mentioned Marshall and Caroline is they are mid major guys but similar league to MWC. Will see how the low majors guys work out, as you said besides Thurman the guards might not get much run if Drew, Martins and Caroline all are back.

Just splitting hairs here. I was more looking at the productive 2-3* players that we have coming in versus the 4-5 star guys that Lobonado says are better. 

2 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Just splitting hairs here. I was more looking at the productive 2-3* players that we have coming in versus the 4-5 star guys that Lobonado says are better. 

I think you can throw star ratings out the window when you're  looking at transfers. 

If a guy has proven he can play at the D1 level and has the attitude you're looking for, it doesn't matter how many stars he had coming out of HS. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

AND DID YOU HEAR OF THE NEW TRANSFERS AIR FORCE JUST ANNOUNCED AND THE NEW FOREIGN PLAYER? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......is it still April Fools day and did the Easter Bunny bring me something good?  

Enjoy the transfers guys, tough for AF to play day in and day out and face that quality of transfers especially in a league as good as our MWC is (and that is what makes good wins in conference so special for the Falcons).  But you can count on the fact that AF WILL bring in 7-8 freshmen next year to the basketball program!

..GO FALCONS..

4 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think you can throw star ratings out the window when you're  looking at transfers. 

If a guy has proven he can play at the D1 level and has the attitude you're looking for, it doesn't matter how many stars he had coming out of HS. 

I agree and I think you articulated that point to our Lobo cousins much better than I did.

17 hours ago, bigd said:

Definitely looking forward to watching UNM next season. Weir as followed Muss' plan to a T, hopefully you guys have similar results.

Of course Muss has a big advantage of having been an NBA coach, and can even sell that he was runner up for the (IIRC) 2002 NBA coach of the year. 

kat.jpg