Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Spring Football Reports

57 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I'll be surprised if Boise doesn't run the conference table this year, even in Laramie.  They're loaded.

I think he was throwing that out there as a hypothetical because we’re 8.5 pt underdogs against Boise in his 2018 Outlook.

If the defense sustains, and we see a marginal improvement in offense (mainly YPC), we could be looking at a team that’s better overall than the ones we saw in 2016 and 2017. 

That said, the way Boise was looking in the Las Vegas Bowl...I think we’re gonna need a miracle to beat them even in Laramie with a solid Wyoming team. They should be a favorite for NY6 going into the season.

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

On 4/5/2018 at 10:37 PM, Love the Knight Life said:

The general consensus on SJS's Homer board was that the offense won the Spring Game.

If we cld only get the rest of the mw defenses to suck as bad as ours does, we might not get run off the field by the end of the first qtr.

It's not a good sign when the Offense wins the Spring game.

21 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I think he was throwing that out there as a hypothetical because we’re 8.5 pt underdogs against Boise in his 2018 Outlook.

If the defense sustains, and we see a marginal improvement in offense (mainly YPC), we could be looking at a team that’s better overall than the ones we saw in 2016 and 2017. 

That said, the way Boise was looking in the Las Vegas Bowl...I think we’re gonna need a miracle to beat them even in Laramie with a solid Wyoming team. They should be a favorite for NY6 going into the season.

I won't discount Wyoming at Laramie.  The last two years Wyoming just has "it".  On paper this should be penciled in as a win for Boise but I could see your defense holding is somewhat in check and a few big plays break in Wyoming's favor.  Seems to be your MO.

On 4/6/2018 at 10:05 AM, madmartigan said:

USU Defense: 

Return 9 of 11 starters on defense including all starters from the front seven and most of the two deep. Big question marks are corner and safety as we lost an all American corner and a decent safety. I think the defense will be stout and may even be elite, depending on coaching.

USU Offense:

Returns 8 of 11 starters including the entire OL plus most of the two deep and the QB. RB is the biggest ?. We haven't had a good offense or RB in years, so who the hell knows.

Going to spring game tomorrow and should have more to report.  

I think the baggies could be very good this year. They could be 2nd best in the SEC Mountain. Their defense should be almost as good as Wyoming's, but their offense should be quite a bit better.

On 4/6/2018 at 4:05 PM, easybronc said:

We have ten starters back on defense?  Woo Hoo!  Oh baby!

We're gonna warm up with Troy, drop the hammer on UConn and Ok St, then give BYU an ass beating ... should be fun.

Not only that, but 20 of the 22 in the two deep, plus they get Blake Whitlock (LB) and Evan Tyler (S) back from injury. The defense will be much improved. Looking at who returns, there were 9 FR in the two-deep and 15 of the 20 were FR or SO. They were insanely young last year. Should be a big year for the defense.

31 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I think the baggies could be very good this year. They could be 2nd best in the SEC Mountain. Their defense should be almost as good as Wyoming's, but their offense should be quite a bit better.

I agree. This is a year where the Aggies should win 8 games or more. 2 likely losses (Michigan state, Boise) a few toss ups (Wyo, BYU, CSU,AFA), and some games we should win. The defense could be very good depending on the LB. This Front seven looks to be the best we’ve had since 2014. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 4/7/2018 at 11:37 AM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Fify

Btw, since we're on the topic, is any MW QB going to be anywhere near as good as Brett Rypien? Rypien clearly has the best arm of anybody who will be playing and as a senior, it should be expected he will make a lot less throws into coverage.

Marcus Maryion seems to be the next best but it's a dropoff from there and I'd say Chapman will probably as good as anybody else in a season when the league could have some really bad QB play at every school which doesn't run the option.

Possible sleeper: Sean Chambers, Wyoming. It's just a guess but one would assume that Nick Smith will be named the starter entering the season and that because he's shown nothing except that he isn't an FBS quarterback, Chambers will eventually take over the starting spot. Looking at film, Chambers doesn't have a particularly strong arm but he's very big for his age and runs very well for his size. Smith's potential: virtual 0. Chambers' potential: considerable.

I think that McMaryion with his ability to run and Rypien losing Ced and Roh make these two pretty close. 

On 4/9/2018 at 3:52 PM, Headbutt said:

I'll be surprised if Boise doesn't run the conference table this year, even in Laramie.  They're loaded.

True, but until Harsin shows that he can keep the team focused for 12/13 straight games, I'd assume they will have their annual one or two games where the team collectively doesn't show up and loses... probably to Air Force.

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

I agree. This is a year where the Aggies should win 8 games or more. 2 likely losses (Michigan state, Boise) a few toss ups (Wyo, BYU, CSU,AFA), and some games we should win. The defense could be very good depending on the LB. This Front seven looks to be the best we’ve had since 2014. 

Yeah, defensively USU's ypp yield was pretty close to the top four teams (Boise, Fresno, SDSU, and Wyo), and that was with an atrocious run defense. Wells teams have typically been good defensively and with all 7 in the front 7 back (5 of which were FR or SO) that should be a much improved unit. One of the best in the conference. They rushed the ball well last year and get their entire front unit back along with some good WR's. Their season sits squarely on Love. If he can improve his accuracy and cut down on mistakes, they could have a pretty special year. 

The Boise Spring game if any one was interested, was fairly hush/hush. But what did come out.

-Defense was dominant (and it should be). The secondary is monumentally deep and caused 8 TO's (Avery Williams took one back for a Pick-6). The MW top recruit in '17, 4**** CB Jermani Brown also had an impressive INT. He'll join that deep secondary.

-WR is the biggest question mark heading into the season. The player most likely to pick up the void left by Ced Wilson is having a fantastic spring. Octavius Evans, who had an NFL body-type as a trFR last, was said by Harsin as being one of the best practice players they've had since he's been here. He continues to make plays and will hopefully turn into that #1 target kind of guy.

-Defensively the one that keeps getting mentioned by both players and coaches is STUD Jabril Frazier. The former 4**** recruit had a good year last year (6 sacks), but seems poised to have a breakout SR year. With former 1st team DT David Moa and FR-AA Curtis Weaver, the line should be putting a ton of pressure on opposing QB's.

-TE is another question mark, but 6'6" 250# John Bates is poised to take over there. He had 3 catches in the last two games. Pistone is getting a lot of mention, as well, and they get former 4**** Chase Blakely back from injury, also.

-QB, backup Chase Cord apparently looked good. He's more mobile than Rypien and I wouldn't be surprised if they have some packages to get him on the field.

-RB's were mostly injured, but they will be adding Drake Beasely who came very close to playing last year. The staff had plays designed for him during the season, but eventually chose to keep him on RS. They also add 4**** Andrew VanBuren. With Mattison back, this will be a very deep and talented group.

-OL is the only other "concern." They do lose 2 starters, but get 7 of the 10 in the two-deep back, including 5 players who started multiple games last year. OL was, by far, the weakest part of the team last year, but improved greatly by seasons end. It is a much more experienced unit, but it is yet to be seen how they'll do. It would be shocking if they were as bad as last year, though.

Just now, kingpotato said:

The Boise Spring game if any one was interested, was fairly hush/hush. But what did come out.

-Defense was dominant (and it should be). The secondary is monumentally deep and caused 8 TO's (Avery Williams took one back for a Pick-6). The MW top recruit in '17, 4**** CB Jermani Brown also had an impressive INT. He'll join that deep secondary.

-WR is the biggest question mark heading into the season. The player most likely to pick up the void left by Ced Wilson is having a fantastic spring. Octavius Evans, who had an NFL body-type as a trFR last, was said by Harsin as being one of the best practice players they've had since he's been here. He continues to make plays and will hopefully turn into that #1 target kind of guy.

-Defensively the one that keeps getting mentioned by both players and coaches is STUD Jabril Frazier. The former 4**** recruit had a good year last year (6 sacks), but seems poised to have a breakout SR year. With former 1st team DT David Moa and FR-AA Curtis Weaver, the line should be putting a ton of pressure on opposing QB's.

-TE is another question mark, but 6'6" 250# John Bates is poised to take over there. He had 3 catches in the last two games. Pistone is getting a lot of mention, as well, and they get former 4**** Chase Blakely back from injury, also.

-QB, backup Chase Cord apparently looked good. He's more mobile than Rypien and I wouldn't be surprised if they have some packages to get him on the field.

-RB's were mostly injured, but they will be adding Drake Beasely who came very close to playing last year. The staff had plays designed for him during the season, but eventually chose to keep him on RS. They also add 4**** Andrew VanBuren. With Mattison back, this will be a very deep and talented group.

-OL is the only other "concern." They do lose 2 starters, but get 7 of the 10 in the two-deep back, including 5 players who started multiple games last year. OL was, by far, the weakest part of the team last year, but improved greatly by seasons end. It is a much more experienced unit, but it is yet to be seen how they'll do. It would be shocking if they were as bad as last year, though.

Good write up.  Just a few things.  We have not played our spring game yet, that is set for this Saturday.  What you are citing are reports from the second spring scrimmage that was closed to the public.  Further the 8 TO's was not from the scrimmage Saturday but rather from practice the day before, Friday.

Our pass rush should be very, very good.  We have two future NFL players rushing the edge in Frazier and Weaver (Weaver being a likely 1st or second rounder), Moa at DT who lead the conference in sacks two years ago and bunch of depth loaded with players with P5 offers. 

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Good write up.  Just a few things.  We have not played our spring game yet, that is set for this Saturday.  What you are citing are reports from the second spring scrimmage that was closed to the public.  Further the 8 TO's was not from the scrimmage Saturday but rather from practice the day before, Friday.

Our pass rush should be very, very good.  We have two future NFL players rushing the edge in Frazier and Weaver (Weaver being a likely 1st or second rounder), Moa at DT who lead the conference in sacks two years ago and bunch of depth loaded with players with P5 offers. 

Thanks for the correction. The DL and the Secondary are both incredibly talented and deep. The LB's look deep and serviceable, but they don't have a playmaker like they did in LVE. Although, Kaniho could have a big year next season after a stellar trFR year. I think Avalos will essentially run a 4-2-5/3-3-5 with Kaniho and Des Williams both being, essentially, another secondary player.

2 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Thanks for the correction. The DL and the Secondary are both incredibly talented and deep. The LB's look deep and serviceable, but they don't have a playmaker like they did in LVE. Although, Kaniho could have a big year next season after a stellar trFR year. I think Avalos will essentially run a 4-2-5/3-3-5 with Kaniho and Des Williams both being, essentially, another secondary player.

That is a whole lot of speed on the field at the same time.  Undersized a bit.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That is a whole lot of speed on the field at the same time.  Undersized a bit.

I've always preferred speed over size at the college level. Plus, both Kaniho and Des showed an ability to both get to the QB and also create TO's. My guess is Kaniho, Maeva, and Whitlock as the starters. I feel pretty good about those three and all the back-ups are the same as last year, only they are SOs instead of FR.

9 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I've always preferred speed over size at the college level. Plus, both Kaniho and Des showed an ability to both get to the QB and also create TO's. My guess is Kaniho, Maeva, and Whitlock as the starters. I feel pretty good about those three and all the back-ups are the same as last year, only they are SOs instead of FR.

Maeva's father said that Noa was better than Maeva when Noa signed, said Maeva had to get a lot better to keep him of the field.  We know how good Maeva is, Noa winning the weak side spot or at least getting a lot of time would not surprise me at all.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

What do you expect out of Rypien? He was inconsistent last year. I don’t have the stats to back it up but he seemed to take a step back in a few parts of his game. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

8 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

What do you expect out of Rypien? He was inconsistent last year. I don’t have the stats to back it up but he seemed to take a step back in a few parts of his game. 

I expect him to be the same as he has been. Maybe a little better being that he's a SR. I expected a big improvement from his FR to SO year, but when that didn't happen, you just take him for what he is. A very good QB, but not great/special QB. 

I was not one of the ones that jumped down his throat last year... because I had eyeballs. Boise had 4 OL that had never started and 2 had never played a college game to start the season. Couple that with the first two games going against the 3rd and 10th best teams in the country in TFL. He was getting blown up every time he dropped back. Of course it shook him, knowing he was gunna get blasted. Once the OL got healthy/experienced he looked more like himself. I'd bet that his conference stats would look fairly similar to his FR and SO seasons. 

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

What do you expect out of Rypien? He was inconsistent last year.

Might be one of the most over hyped MW players of all time.  Should of lost his job last year.  Might lose it next year.  Hot seat.