Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Spring Football Reports

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

next year I'm going to the last scrimmage prior to the Spring game and skipping the Spring game.  The Spring game is a fluff performance for fans

Unless you're a Wyo fan.  Bohl kept all of ours' super duper secret.  The spring game was all we got!

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 hours ago, teappotts said:

As long as Rypien is under center we can lose. I hope he's figured it out but I'm not counting on it. Just look at the end of the first half of the Las Vegas Bowl. He gifted Oregon back into that game almost all by himself. I've never seen a QB with so many bone headed turnovers. I'm hopeful but cautious.   

You started watching Boise after the Zabransky years then? 

18 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, this should easily be Harsin's best team. I don't see this being Boise's best teams overall, but it should be up there with some of those "best" teams. It looks like a very balanced team that will be strong in all three phases.

The best Petersen teams, even the Koetter/Hawkins teams to a lessor degree were defense dominated.  I see a similar depth on D as back then.  We'll see if they rise to it.  And if the offense takes a forward step with Rypien to try and match it.  Petersen's offensive teams were very good, not sure we're going to be that good on O this year. 

4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Both Robles and McCoy were struggling with some reads, but Robles more so than McCoy.  McCoy certainly showed promise for a RS FR, but like others here... I think we learned the starting QB will be KJCS.  McCoy could use a season as #2 learning to read defenses.  D was a big step up, and more aggressive than I remember in years past.  Lots of energy there.  That's a good sign that things are looking up.  Running game is definitely the strength on O, but it is also fair to say we haven't seen the WR weapons yet... I believe at least 3 of the top 6 were held out of the game (including the likely top WR Preston Williams).  For that matter, several were held out of the game on both O and D.  I think we were largely seeing mostly 2s out there trying to prove themselves.

Lots of questions remain, but overall athletic ability looked good compared to previous years IMO... especially on D.

I agree with you on the energy and I really liked seeing it. I'll admit I wasn't a Jancek hire fan, but I'll give him time to prove me wrong; the energy and pace from the defense is a step in the right direction. CSU has a pretty deep walking wounded list right now which, I think, is why we didn't see as many "starters" playing. I didn't comment on the running game because that's a given. We are stacked and strong there; I just hope that the O-line gels and we can open some holes. If the passing game doesn't improve, it won't be hard to stop CSU's one, though very good, dimension. Fall ball will show us what team we may have in the season, but I'm standing by my 7-5 prediction. I can't imagine if it comes to fruition what the more adamant and vocal crowd will do with Bobo. I hope a little leniency since it is an entirely new coaching staff.

2 hours ago, roughrider said:

The best Petersen teams, even the Koetter/Hawkins teams to a lessor degree were defense dominated.  I see a similar depth on D as back then.  We'll see if they rise to it.  And if the offense takes a forward step with Rypien to try and match it.  Petersen's offensive teams were very good, not sure we're going to be that good on O this year. 

Yeah, the offenses always got much of the credit, but the defenses were generally very strong... sometimes close to the best in the country in some areas. Most of those teams would hold opponents between 12-18 ppg. Harsin's have all been 20+ ppg, but this should be a sub 20 ppg defense.

3 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, the offenses always got much of the credit, but the defenses were generally very strong... sometimes close to the best in the country in some areas. Most of those teams would hold opponents between 12-18 ppg. Harsin's have all been 20+ ppg, but this should be a sub 20 ppg defense.

How did Pete have the offense operate? Seems like passing, higher tempo, no-huddle offenses (like Harsin seems to run at times) naturally give up some more points on the other side of the ball due to the defenses being on the field more often or starting in bad spots due to a high-risk offense that makes a mistake.

I think the Wyoming defense is (in part) a product of having a slow-paced, clock-eating offense at times.

6 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

The talent is there with Ryp. He just needs to stay within himself and manage the game rather than trying to be Brett Favre. 

Rypien takes a lot of undeserved heat for this. Despite being thrown in too early as a trFR he has never had more than 8 ints in a season and it's made out like he's some massive TO machine. There are certianly some areas he could improve on, but when he gets time he has been very effective. The OL is going to determine the ultimate success of this years team. If they can open some holes and protect Ryp the rest of the team looks set.

10 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

How did Pete have the offense operate? Seems like passing, higher tempo, no-huddle offenses (like Harsin seems to run at times) naturally give up some more points on the other side of the ball due to the defenses being on the field more often or starting in bad spots due to a high-risk offense that makes a mistake.

I think the Wyoming defense is (in part) a product of having a slow-paced, clock-eating offense at times.

Neither Hars nor Pete did a lot of up-tempo,no huddle. At times they both would, but most of the time it is a lot of pre-snap shifts in an effort to try and create a mismatch somewhere. Both liked to run the ball more than throw, but like balance. They are both about efficiency and less getting in as many plays as they can. If that means 90 snaps, they'll hike it 90 times, if that means 60 snaps, they'll snap it 60 times. The flow and opponent is going to determine the pace more than anything. They averaged 70 plays per game last year which was 6th in the conference and middle of the road nationally, as well.

8 hours ago, teappotts said:

As long as Rypien is under center we can lose. I hope he's figured it out but I'm not counting on it. Just look at the end of the first half of the Las Vegas Bowl. He gifted Oregon back into that game almost all by himself. I've never seen a QB with so many bone headed turnovers. I'm hopeful but cautious.   

Rypien isn’t the problem. Its that terrible HC you have at the helm! Boise deserves better! #firemediocreharsin

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

18 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

17 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Neither Hars nor Pete did a lot of up-tempo,no huddle. At times they both would, but most of the time it is a lot of pre-snap shifts in an effort to try and create a mismatch somewhere. Both liked to run the ball more than throw, but like balance. They are both about efficiency and less getting in as many plays as they can. If that means 90 snaps, they'll hike it 90 times, if that means 60 snaps, they'll snap it 60 times. The flow and opponent is going to determine the pace more than anything. They averaged 70 plays per game last year which was 6th in the conference and middle of the road nationally, as well.

King answered this well but I have to add the thing I loved the most about "Pete's Poison" which was the packages that would get sent in all the time. EVERY player on Offense had plays they knew where going to be called just for the packages they were in, so they could really hone in on their jobs.

You used to see 3-4-5 guys just sub in on any given play and they executed ridiculously well.

Lots of Full Back use as well back in those days.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

1 minute ago, RogueStout said:

King answered this well but I have to add the thing I loved the most about "Pete's Poison" which was the packages that would get sent in all the time. EVERY player on Offense had plays they knew where going to be called just for the packages they were in, so they could really hone in on their jobs.

You used to see 3-4-5 guys just sub in on any given play and they executed ridiculously well.

Brad Lau and Dan Paul were two of my favorite players during those years.

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Yeah, those Pete/Hawk years they were so great at giving players roles. Every active player had their plays. It was great for team unity because every player felt themselves involved in the teams success, but it was also how they could just reload year after year. Because even the 3rd string WR was getting real gametime experince in big games/moments. They routinely would go seven or eight recievers deep and use multiple RBs. 

That is really one of the biggest differences in Hars offense vs Pete's offense. Hars seems to favor the "Feed the Studs" type of substitutions. Find ways to get your playmakers the ball as often as possible and let them make plays. Both work well, but Pete's way did seem to have better year-to-year continuity. It just never seemed to matter who graduated, there was an experienced player right behind him. 

Yeah, Pete loved that two TE/HB/FB combo. It was the best group to disguise your intention. It was very easy to shift from a power formation to one that had five wide. I did feel that the offense last year seemed to resemble those old offenses more (once the OL settled in a bit). That Bowl game looked like vintage Boise State football. A lot of motions, a lot of shifts, a lot of misdirection, a lot of creativity. This will be the first year Harsin has ever returned his OC, so hopefully that is more commonplace this year.

4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, those Pete/Hawk years they were so great at giving players roles. Every active player had their plays. It was great for team unity because every player felt themselves involved in the teams success, but it was also how they could just reload year after year. Because even the 3rd string WR was getting real gametime experince in big games/moments. They routinely would go seven or eight recievers deep and use multiple RBs. 

That is really one of the biggest differences in Hars offense vs Pete's offense. Hars seems to favor the "Feed the Studs" type of substitutions. Find ways to get your playmakers the ball as often as possible and let them make plays. Both work well, but Pete's way did seem to have better year-to-year continuity. It just never seemed to matter who graduated, there was an experienced player right behind him. 

Yeah, Pete loved that two TE/HB/FB combo. It was the best group to disguise your intention. It was very easy to shift from a power formation to one that had five wide. I did feel that the offense last year seemed to resemble those old offenses more (once the OL settled in a bit). That Bowl game looked like vintage Boise State football. A lot of motions, a lot of shifts, a lot of misdirection, a lot of creativity. This will be the first year Harsin has ever returned his OC, so hopefully that is more commonplace this year.

That brings up another point regarding Harsin.  I have heard that he drives assistants away.  IMHO that is unfair.  Every assistant that left, left for a substantial pay raise.  The fact he has two top 25 finishes in 4 years, two conference championships, a Fiesta bowl trophy and a 42-12 record while having new coordinators every year is somewhat impressive.

On 4/23/2018 at 4:54 PM, madmartigan said:

Rypien isn’t the problem. Its that terrible HC you have at the helm! Boise deserves better! #firemediocreharsin

Do you have any suggestions on who we should replace him with?

down in a hole.jpg

14 hours ago, Broncomare said:

Do you have any suggestions on who we should replace him with?

He likes to take little jabs at the "Fire Harsin" Boise fans. It's pretty funny, actually. 

And as far as replacement, I'd suggest Gary Anderson with Matt Wells as his OC. That would work.