Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Spring Football Reports

On 4/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, kingpotato said:

The high profile transfer is always the best playing in the league... until the get on the field.

Certainly, but his presence gives CSU a chance.  I expect Boise to be the best team in the MTN.  CSU with an easier conference schedule will surprise for second.

CSU concluded their spring practice today.  Coaching matters and CSUs defense will be much improved.  Depending how fast Carta Samuels acclimates will determine the first five games.  Is is clear the current QB play is substandard.

Two wins out of the first five is the minimum.  Anything above that portends a good season for CSU

6 minutes ago, Castle Ram said:

CSU concluded their spring practice today.  Coaching matters and CSUs defense will be much improved.  Depending how fast Carta Samuels acclimates will determine the first five games.  Is is clear the current QB play is substandard.

Two wins out of the first five is the minimum.  Anything above that portends a good season for CSU

We looked awful on O.  Lots of moments that made me say "maybe" though.  Definitely need KJCS to be ready or McCoy to get on a better page with his receivers.  Outside of that it looks like we can be pretty good on O with some work, and the D is definitely improved.

10 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

We looked awful on O.  Lots of moments that made me say "maybe" though.  Definitely need KJCS to be ready or McCoy to get on a better page with his receivers.  Outside of that it looks like we can be pretty good on O with some work, and the D is definitely improved.

McCoy is not the preferred option. The running game could be good

Just now, Castle Ram said:

McCoy is not the preferred option. The running game could be good

At this time he is.  Hopefully KJCS can change that.  I expect he will, but McCoy was definitely the better of the three out there today.

8 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

At this time he is.  Hopefully KJCS can change that.  I expect he will, but McCoy was definitely the better of the three out there today.

Agreed, he was the best of the three today but he is not the answer.

Just now, Castle Ram said:

Agreed, he was the best of the three today but he is not the answer.

Nope, not the answer.  I expected worse from a RS Frosh though.  I think he's got a future somewhere, we'll see how it works with Nick and C.J.'s development.

13 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Nope, not the answer.  I expected worse from a RS Frosh though.  I think he's got a future somewhere, we'll see how it works with Nick and C.J.'s development.

Does not instill confidence when Bobo says in presser: "We can't throw and catch." Robles looked... well. Bad. Sad the RSf beats him out. 

And, though I was overly optimistic last year and going into March about Hill and him leading the team, two ACLs and I figure the first hard hit and he'll be done for the year if he plays at all. My fingers are crossed that KJCS doesn't turn into another Bauta, because we don't have a so-so Stevens to come back off the bench. 

I'm impressed with the defense in that the unit looked quicker, but really, this is mostly the same group of guys that played last year and were wretchedly horrid. I'm hoping for a few playmakers to show up, but to say our Defense beat the Offense is not much of a rousing statement of success, rather an indictment on the quality of our current offense.

Cautiously optimistic about 6-6/7-5 for a defense learning new schemes with the same old players and a quarterback situation that is less than endearing.

On 4/21/2018 at 4:12 PM, Castle Ram said:

Certainly, but his presence gives CSU a chance.  I expect Boise to be the best team in the MTN.  CSU with an easier conference schedule will surprise for second.

That would be surprising. They look like the 4th best team right now.

3 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

That would be surprising. They look like the 4th best team right now.

Bobo thinks he has the best overall talent in 2018 since coming to CSU.  They're excited about the grad transfers and the incoming class.  Plenty of moving parts with no previous experience together so it can go wrong.  

After the first four games; Hawaii, CU, Ark @ Fl, we will know

Conclusion to draw from this thread: The 2018 season will be all about Boise State and Fresno State in that order.

It's gonna be there world and the rest of us will just live in it.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, Castle Ram said:

Bobo thinks he has the best overall talent in 2018 since coming to CSU.  They're excited about the grad transfers and the incoming class.  Plenty of moving parts with no previous experience together so it can go wrong.  

After the first four games; Hawaii, CU, Ark @ Fl, we will know

It's good to be excited about the incoming class... but if they are relying on significant contributions by the incoming class, that is generally a bad sign.  While they have recruited pretty well recently, it is only marginally better than the middle schools. Heck, this year they are bringing in the 4th rated class. They just lose too much off of a team that wasn't that great last year.

The Broncos should be as good as they've been in Harsin's tenure.  This D should resemble the best that the previous coach had and that's a big jump from anything Harsin's had since he took over.  If that's the case, lube up.  The O won't have to be great. 

4 minutes ago, roughrider said:

The Broncos should be as good as they've been in Harsin's tenure.  This D should resemble the best that the previous coach had and that's a big jump from anything Harsin's had since he took over.  If that's the case, lube up.  The O won't have to be great. 

Yeah, this should easily be Harsin's best team. I don't see this being Boise's best teams overall, but it should be up there with some of those "best" teams. It looks like a very balanced team that will be strong in all three phases.

12 hours ago, roughrider said:

12 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, this should easily be Harsin's best team. I don't see this being Boise's best teams overall, but it should be up there with some of those "best" teams. It looks like a very balanced team that will be strong in all three phases.

IF the defense plays up to its potential, the o-line enables a balanced run and pass attack, and Rypien avoids his typical 2 or 3 catastrophic melt downs per year, this could be a promising season. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

IF the defense plays up to its potential, the o-line enables a balanced run and pass attack, and Rypien avoids his typical 2 or 3 catastrophic melt downs per year, this could be a promising season. 

As long as Rypien is under center we can lose. I hope he's figured it out but I'm not counting on it. Just look at the end of the first half of the Las Vegas Bowl. He gifted Oregon back into that game almost all by himself. I've never seen a QB with so many bone headed turnovers. I'm hopeful but cautious.   

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

On 4/22/2018 at 7:30 AM, AKram said:

Does not instill confidence when Bobo says in presser: "We can't throw and catch." Robles looked... well. Bad. Sad the RSf beats him out. 

And, though I was overly optimistic last year and going into March about Hill and him leading the team, two ACLs and I figure the first hard hit and he'll be done for the year if he plays at all. My fingers are crossed that KJCS doesn't turn into another Bauta, because we don't have a so-so Stevens to come back off the bench. 

I'm impressed with the defense in that the unit looked quicker, but really, this is mostly the same group of guys that played last year and were wretchedly horrid. I'm hoping for a few playmakers to show up, but to say our Defense beat the Offense is not much of a rousing statement of success, rather an indictment on the quality of our current offense.

Cautiously optimistic about 6-6/7-5 for a defense learning new schemes with the same old players and a quarterback situation that is less than endearing.

Both Robles and McCoy were struggling with some reads, but Robles more so than McCoy.  McCoy certainly showed promise for a RS FR, but like others here... I think we learned the starting QB will be KJCS.  McCoy could use a season as #2 learning to read defenses.  D was a big step up, and more aggressive than I remember in years past.  Lots of energy there.  That's a good sign that things are looking up.  Running game is definitely the strength on O, but it is also fair to say we haven't seen the WR weapons yet... I believe at least 3 of the top 6 were held out of the game (including the likely top WR Preston Williams).  For that matter, several were held out of the game on both O and D.  I think we were largely seeing mostly 2s out there trying to prove themselves.

Lots of questions remain, but overall athletic ability looked good compared to previous years IMO... especially on D.

51 minutes ago, teappotts said:

As long as Rypien is under center we can lose. I hope he's figured it out but I'm not counting on it. Just look at the end of the first half of the Las Vegas Bowl. He gifted Oregon back into that game almost all by himself. I've never seen a QB with so many bone headed turnovers. I'm hopeful but cautious.   

The talent is there with Ryp. He just needs to stay within himself and manage the game rather than trying to be Brett Favre. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg