Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Spring Football Reports

Not much news on Boise State football.  Coaches are very optimistic. Haven't heard of any major injuries during spring (although RB Mattison is out for spring after surgery).  Nobody arrested yet, so that is always a good thing.  

Spring game is Saturday April 14th.  

I'm pretty certain that CSU out Spring practiced all of your teams.  Confirmed to be a fact by several Borg Fans who are attending/tracking each of our Spring Games.

Always thinking ahead.... that's the Borg!!      :)

3 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Is Chapman still your starting QB? SDSU can surely find better QBs in their own back yard. 

From terrible two years ago, our receiving corps managed to improve to mediocre last year and I'm hopeful it could actually improve to a level of good this season. Certainly the quality of our recruits has improved greatly since Hunky Cooper replaced the retired on the job LeCharls McDaniel. (Not to knock Charles. He was a key member of the staff for almost a decade but you could tell that with age, he just didn't have his former energy and should have retired a couple years earlier.)

We haven't been able to recruit a stud QB solely because we run the ball 70% of the time. It's also because our WRs have been so bad. But no longer.

Watch for this kid: http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ethan_dedeaux_1052943.html He's short with average speed, that's the downside. However, film from spring practice shows he's very quick and has - dare I say it? - amazing hands. Think Julian Edelman. Dedeaux is that same kind of player and we're bringing in David Justice's highly regarded son plus another guy who turned down several P5 offers.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

Last year at this time suds fans were saying he's the best qb in the league. 

KJ Carta Samuels is the best QB in the league.

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

3 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

KJ Carta Samuels is the best QB in the league.

Ty "stik" Gangi is the best QB in the MWC.

2 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Was that in the same thread as the one titled “Long may they reign” discussing SDSUs inevitable dominance of this conference? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

6 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Agree. Csu is good for 8 wins this year. Great year for you guys. 

LOL!  If we get 6 it'll be a hell of a coaching job.

18 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Last year at this time a suds fans were was saying he's the best qb in the league. 

Fify

Btw, since we're on the topic, is any MW QB going to be anywhere near as good as Brett Rypien? Rypien clearly has the best arm of anybody who will be playing and as a senior, it should be expected he will make a lot less throws into coverage.

Marcus Maryion seems to be the next best but it's a dropoff from there and I'd say Chapman will probably as good as anybody else in a season when the league could have some really bad QB play at every school which doesn't run the option.

Possible sleeper: Sean Chambers, Wyoming. It's just a guess but one would assume that Nick Smith will be named the starter entering the season and that because he's shown nothing except that he isn't an FBS quarterback, Chambers will eventually take over the starting spot. Looking at film, Chambers doesn't have a particularly strong arm but he's very big for his age and runs very well for his size. Smith's potential: virtual 0. Chambers' potential: considerable.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Fify

Btw, since we're on the topic, is any MW QB going to be anywhere near as good as Brett Rypien? Rypien clearly has the best arm of anybody who will be playing and as a senior, it should be expected he will make a lot less throws into coverage.

Marcus Maryion seems to be the next best but it's a dropoff from there and I'd say Chapman will probably as good as anybody else in a season when the league could have some really bad QB play at every school which doesn't run the option.

Possible sleeper: Sean Chambers, Wyoming. It's just a guess but one would assume that Nick Smith will be named the starter entering the season and that because he's shown nothing except that he isn't an FBS quarterback, Chambers will eventually take over the starting spot. Looking at film, Chambers doesn't have a particularly strong arm but he's very big for his age and runs very well for his size. Smith's potential: virtual 0. Chambers' potential: considerable.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not sure what your point is in linking that. I scrolled through the thread just to see what I might have said and notice I didn't comment even once. The OP used to be one of the primary posters here but hardly shows up anymore and my guess is that by going out on a limb as he did and seeing that limb crack during the season, he's decided to lay low for a while. But I'll defend SU somewhat by reiterating that aside from Rypien and maybe McMaryion, at least right now Chapman looks to be as good as any QB in the conference entering the season. (I'm not at all convinced McMaryion is better than Chapman just because he won at SD since Fresno had both a better pass blocking line and better receivers than SDSU. Let's see how the two compare THIS year when those SDSU deficiencies should be largely remedied and when it will be Fresno rather than SDSU which will be coming off a game against Boise.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Fify

For Wyoming, I think Tyler Vander Waal will be the starter.  Redshirt Freshman and ran the scout team last year.  Fairly mobile, solid arm.  His delivery is kind of funky so I'm interested to see if that has been corrected.  Nick Smith is not a D1 QB.  If he starts, it will be hard to get excited about this upcoming season.  

I'll take a young guy with upside who will make some mistakes over a 5th senior with zero upside and still makes plenty of his own mistakes.  

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Not sure what your point is in linking that. I scrolled through the thread just to see what I might have said and notice I didn't comment even once. The OP used to be one of the primary posters here but hardly shows up anymore and my guess is that by going out on a limb as he did and seeing that limb crack during the season, he's decided to lay low for a while. But I'll defend SU somewhat by reiterating that aside from Rypien and maybe McMaryion, at least right now Chapman looks to be as good as any QB in the conference entering the season. (I'm not at all convinced McMaryion is better than Chapman just because he won at SD since Fresno had both a better pass blocking line and better receivers than SDSU. Let's see how the two compare THIS year when those SDSU deficiencies should be largely remedied and when it will be Fresno rather than SDSU which will be coming off a game against Boise.)

The point is, in that entire thread, not one SDSU fan said Chapman was not the best QB in the conference.  Lol.

18 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

For Wyoming, I think Tyler Vander Waal will be the starter.  Redshirt Freshman and ran the scout team last year.  Fairly mobile, solid arm.  His delivery is kind of funky so I'm interested to see if that has been corrected.  Nick Smith is not a D1 QB.  If he starts, it will be hard to get excited about this upcoming season.  

I'll take a young guy with upside who will make some mistakes over a 5th senior with zero upside and still makes plenty of his own mistakes.  

Back to a 2 win season if Smith starts.