Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Spring Football Reports

Have you started?  When’s your spring game.  How are things looking heading into the summer?   Should we all prepare our collective anuses?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

14 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Verizon has better coverage in my area.

Damn it. :facepalm: 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Spring Practice - Fort Collins, Colorado

Who knows. 

Practices closed to most public and all media.  Most of the returning starters are out with one injury or another.  All the reports are just non-commital blurbs from the state run media.  So far we know that the O-line and D are learning a whole new system and starting to pick it up.  Coach is liking the effort.  It sounds like our depth is getting a lot of work though.  Much more than in a typical spring.  The silence is deafening and maybe worriesome though.  Hopefully the starters are learning the system from the sideline.  Carta-Samuels was in attendance yesterday, but just as an observer with some ex-players.  Good to hear he's found the campus.

Closed scrimmage Saturday.  I'm hoping to glean something from the stats, although I doubt they'll really mean much.

Spring game is 4/21.  I expect it to be sloppy all things considered.  I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, although I don't think it will actually have much bearing on predicting the season based on which players will be available on 4/21.

Yes Pokes, 4/21.  We are all busy on 4/20.

UH football spring practice notes posted by beat writer Stephen Tsai on his Honolulu Star-Advertiser blog:

Tuesday 4/3

The defense won the day, Nick Rolovich said following today’s fourth practice of spring training. 

The Warriors returned to the practice field after a one-week hiatus because of UH’s spring break. 

UH’s secondary looked sharp. Second-year freshmen Damario Mclean and Donovan Dalton made athletic breakups. Manu Hudson-Rasmussen also played well at nickel.

In team drills, Cole McDonald led two drives at quarterback. Jeremy Moussa, Kyle Gallup and Justin Uahinui each directed one. 

“There’s not a ton of separation right now,” Rolovich said of the quarterback competition. “That could be a good thing. That could be a bad thing.”

But Rolovich praised the quarterbacks’ development in understanding coverages and making decisions during the installation of the run-and-shoot offense. 

“I appreciate their effort in learning it and trying to learn it,” Rolovich said.

Thursday 4/5

Once again, the defense looked good — really good — during today’s fifth practice of spring training. 

In team drills, Donovan Dalton had a pick-6, Damario Mclean almost had an interception covering a slant route, and Penei Pavihi had a mouthpiece-loosening hit. 

But the offense did get the last word: Jason-Matthew Sharsh caught a 44-yard scoring pass from Cole McDonald. 

The folks on the sideline are impressed with: 

> Quarterback Jeremy Moussa’s arm strength. 

> Wideout Isaia Leeth’s size (6-4, 190), strength and route-running. He has wideout’s speed but tight end’s toughness. 

> Safeties Jay Dominique and Kalen Hicks.

Half the team is injured.  No QB.  Lots of position changes.  :unsure:

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

USU is having their spring game tomorrow on what is projected to be a really wet day. 

Others would know how things have been going thus far better than I, but we mainly keep hearing the defense is several steps ahead of the offense right now. I really like our D-line, but it remains to be seen how our LBs and secondary will be since we lost a couple of big time contributors. 

SB Nation did the best spring write-up on the Aggies that I've seen: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/4/5/17183924/utah-state-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

USU Defense: 

Return 9 of 11 starters on defense including all starters from the front seven and most of the two deep. Big question marks are corner and safety as we lost an all American corner and a decent safety. I think the defense will be stout and may even be elite, depending on coaching.

USU Offense:

Returns 8 of 11 starters including the entire OL plus most of the two deep and the QB. RB is the biggest ?. We haven't had a good offense or RB in years, so who the hell knows.

Going to spring game tomorrow and should have more to report.  

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

13 hours ago, Fowl said:

SDSU has been done for a month.

And the consensus of those who managed to attend is that if Chapman gets hurt, opposing defensive coordinators will continually put 11 in the box.

Boom goes the dynamite.

27 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

And the consensus of those who managed to attend is that if Chapman gets hurt, opposing defensive coordinators will continually put 11 in the box.

They already do that against Chapman...

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

OK, then 11 in the box all of whom have a hand on the ground.

Is Chapman still your starting QB? SDSU can surely find better QBs in their own back yard. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.