Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

OT: Boxing Thread

6 hours ago, masterfrog said:

Apollo Creed had a January 1 date to fill on the bicentennial when his opponent was injured. The tomato can he picked gave him the first knockdown of his career and almost won the fight. 

Tragic story, Mrs. Tomato Can ended up being the archetype for the wet blanket spouse, doing nothing but telling the Tomato Can he was never good enough.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 hours ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Much rather see Andrade get a shot and if they keep it PPV it will be a much better option than O Sullivan.  Although O Sullivan's stache is sweet.

Also don't really care about clen so I think they should just fight. Lots of uneducated people think Canelo is going to be some huge massive monster from some clen. 

Andrade would be way better than Spike, don’t see them picking a lefty on short notice though. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Jaime Munguia (28-0, 24 KOs) is going to be the replacement opponent for middleweight champion Gennady ‘GGG’ Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) to fight on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada on HBO PPV, according to Dan Rafael.

Makes sense being its on Cinco.

Wow, that kid is nowhere near ready for this massive step up in competition.  The only recognizable name on his record is his last win over Johnny Navarrete, and his name is only recognizable because of who he's lost to, which is Canelo's brother Ramon, Carlos Ocampo (who's fighting Errol Spence Jr. in June), Jose Lopez who Navarrete is 1-1 against (and who beat an aged former world champ Cesar Soto), Samuel Vargas (who was KO'd by Danny Garcia and Spence Jr., but did beat Ali Funeka), and Kevin Bizier (who just got KO'd by Kell Brook).  

Munguia is a very good prospect and a good puncher, but this is like playing one on one bball with Sister Jean everyday and then stepping straight up to Kevin Durant. I don't see this ending well for the young Mexican, unless GGG carries him to make a name.

Saturday on Showtime

Erislandy Lara vs Jarrett Hurd IBF/WBA unifier 154

Caleb Truax vs James DeGale II IBF 168

I think Father Time catches up with Lara and DeGale avenges his loss

40 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Saturday on Showtime

I was pretty surprised DeGale lost the first fight, I didn't think Truax had much of a chance in that one, so I agree that he'll get revenge.

In the other bout, I see Lara doing to Hurd what he does to everybody else, frustrate the sh*t out of him and win a decision.

3 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Saturday on Showtime

Hurd doesn't have the skill to hang with Lara obviously.  But I can't stand watching Lara so hope he catches him.

22 minutes ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Gary Russell Jr vs Joseph Diaz jr signed today should be solid 

Should be a really good fight.  Lots of really good fights coming out of the featherweight division in the next couple months.

Decent fights last night. Not surprised DeGale won, but the other fight was close. I had Lara slightly ahead going into the 12th, but the knockdown sealed it for Hurd. I couldn't get over how much bigger he was than Lara, Hurd is gonna cause problems for the folks at 154, as long as he's there anyway.

On the GGG front, I've actually heard whispers that one Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.'s name has been tossed around a bit, seems highly unlikely, but it would definitely outsell any other fight they've listed.

Hurd Lara was awesome.  Lara finally stood in the pocket more and threw.  The knockdown to win it late was great.  Like you said Hurd looks twice the size of Lara kind of reminds me of when Paul Williams was at welter.  Honestly thought Truax maybe won. It was close could have gone either way but Degale will get crushed again soon

Canelo suspended 6 months by Nevada Commission, clearing the way for a Mexican Indenpendence day fight with GGG in September.

Golovkin to fight Vanes Martirosian on regular HBO May 5.

IBF threatening to strip Golovkin for not fighting mandatory challenger Derevchynko. Would have been a way better fight, but the Golovkin camp thought it was too good a fight to promote on such short notice.

GGG will destroy Martirosian, but what could they do with such short notice.  More of a name than some they have looked at, but he is way to small for GGG and has underachieved.  Looking forward to the Broner, Davis, Charlo card this Saturday.  I like Davis quite a bit,exciting fighter although they should keep him away from Loma.