Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boise fan

YouTube Under Fire (Literally) Female perp shoots 3, kills self

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Frankly I am surprised that this hasn't happened sooner. I sincerely doubt that this will be the last time it happens to big tech. Youtube, Google, and Facebook made platforms for people to make money and then as their own in-house ads became profitable, they essentially eliminated lots of people's livelihoods. When you do that, you piss a lot of people off. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen at Facebook after the Cambridge Analytica shit and everything else that's coming out about them giving data away.

26 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Frankly I am surprised that this hasn't happened sooner. I sincerely doubt that this will be the last time it happens to big tech. Youtube, Google, and Facebook made platforms for people to make money and then as their own in-house ads became profitable, they essentially eliminated lots of people's livelihoods. When you do that, you piss a lot of people off. 

I'm saddened with the extreme degree of reaction and response.  When I was her age and got pissed the worst thought entering my mind was to poke someone in the nose.  I tried that a couple of times but getting poked back wasn't what I wanted either.  Killing others and myself never entered my mind and I still struggle with trying to understand such extreme.

Society's value of human life continues to diminish.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Another situation that could have been avoided. Those that choose to rely on the authorities for protection are fooling themselves.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nasim-aghdam-youtube-shooter-father-told-police-she-was-angry-2018-4

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STRAW MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

————

Lefties: please let me know if the above is the proper way to respond to Akkula’s post. Thanks! 

I was making fun of the "good guy with a gun" narrative that you guys will be trotting out soon.  The only way to be safe in a group is for everyone to pack lethal heat on them at every moment like we are in the wild west, right?  Those stupid liberals should have known better than to go to work without their heater. All of this situation is simply caused by the lack of enough firearms out there...not too many!  

Posted Image

1 minute ago, Akkula said:

I was making fun of the "good guy with a gun" narrative that you guys will be trotting out soon.  The only way to be safe in a group is for everyone to pack lethal heat on them at every moment like we are in the wild west, right?  Those stupid liberals should have known better than to go to work without their heater. All of this situation is simply caused by the lack of enough firearms out there...not to many!  

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STRAW MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen at Facebook after the Cambridge Analytica shit and everything else that's coming out about them giving data away.

I'm worried about it happening at Boise State as a result of the Term Sheet Deal. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Akkula said:

Actually...the point is proven again that it is too easy to get guns and there are too many of them in society.   All Those teachers with guns certainly would have helped though:rolleyes:

California has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

25 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Another situation that could have been avoided. Those that choose to rely on the authorities for protection are fooling themselves.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nasim-aghdam-youtube-shooter-father-told-police-she-was-angry-2018-4

Wait, law enforcement failed to protect people again?  But it’s the guns!  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

20 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Wait, law enforcement failed to protect people again?  But it’s the guns!  

What should law enforcement have done?  Do LEO in CA have the ability to place individual on 72 hour mental holds?  

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

What should law enforcement have done?  Do LEO in CA have the ability to place individual on 72 hour mental holds?  

They had a credible threat against YouTube by the family.  They could’ve stationed somebody outside their headquarters.  I don’t know if California has the ability to hold an individual like that but I’d imagine they do.  

Edit:  yes they do http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=WIC&sectionNum=5150

When a person, as a result of a mental health disorder, is a danger to others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled, a peace officer, professional person in charge of a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment, member of the attending staff, as defined by regulation, of a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment, designated members of a mobile crisis team, or professional person designated by the county may, upon probable cause, take, or cause to be taken, the person into custody for a period of up to 72 hours for assessment, evaluation, and crisis intervention, or placement for evaluation and treatment in a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment and approved by the State Department of Health Care Services. At a minimum, assessment, as defined in Section 5150.4, and evaluation, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 5008, shall be conducted and provided on an ongoing basis. Crisis intervention, as defined in subdivision (e) of Section 5008, may be provided concurrently with assessment, evaluation, or any other service.

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

They had a credible threat against YouTube by the family.  They could’ve stationed somebody outside their headquarters.  I don’t know if California has the ability to hold an individual like that but I’d imagine they do.  

Edit:  yes they do http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=WIC&sectionNum=5150

When a person, as a result of a mental health disorder, is a danger to others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled, a peace officer, professional person in charge of a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment, member of the attending staff, as defined by regulation, of a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment, designated members of a mobile crisis team, or professional person designated by the county may, upon probable cause, take, or cause to be taken, the person into custody for a period of up to 72 hours for assessment, evaluation, and crisis intervention, or placement for evaluation and treatment in a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment and approved by the State Department of Health Care Services. At a minimum, assessment, as defined in Section 5150.4, and evaluation, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 5008, shall be conducted and provided on an ongoing basis. Crisis intervention, as defined in subdivision (e) of Section 5008, may be provided concurrently with assessment, evaluation, or any other service.

Whelp seems like a no brainer to me.  She should have been placed on a mental hold and evaluated at the very least.

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Whelp seems like a no brainer to me.  She should have been placed on a mental hold and evaluated at the very least.

But how does that sit with her rights?  She made statements - does that mean she should have her freedom involuntarily revoked?  How long does a "mental hold" take?  Is it 12hours?  4 days? Can she sign a consent?  Can family members sign a consent on her behalf?  Or is this simply a police matter of restricting her freedoms for the "greater good"?

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

10 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

They do, but apparently she was calm and cooperative when contacted by police the night before the shooting. The family claims they warned the police that she may be heading for YouTube, but the police deny it.

Apparently she had many thousands of followers on social media, especially in Iran.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

13 hours ago, happycamper said:

Interesting.

I know people get paid royalties or an equivalent by YouTube/Alphabet.  What has changed?

57 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

They do, but apparently she was calm and cooperative when contacted by police the night before the shooting. The family claims they warned the police that she may be heading for YouTube, but the police deny it.

Apparently she had many thousands of followers on social media, especially in Iran.

Well then, I am not sure what they could have done differently.  Just sad.

33 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Interesting.

I know people get paid royalties or an equivalent by YouTube/Alphabet.  What has changed?

The way they pay out has changed.  I have a couple of friends who have YouTube channels who have gone from making a few thousand a month to less than 500 because o YouTube's policies.  They demonitize almost everything.  At least "controversial" stuff. 

36 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The way they pay out has changed.  I have a couple of friends who have YouTube channels who have gone from making a few thousand a month to less than 500 because o YouTube's policies.  They demonitize almost everything.  At least "controversial" stuff. 

"demonitze" is just another way of saying - "we'll take that revenue for your content, thank you very much!  Love, Google."

Just a big moneygrab from those who don't make a ton but add up quickly for Google profits.

People should be angry.   Not go Toolsy postal angry, but angry.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

1 minute ago, Boise fan said:

"demonitze" is just another way of saying - "we'll take that revenue for your content, thank you very much!  Love, Google."

Just a big moneygrab from those who don't make a ton but add up quickly for Google profits.

People should be angry.   Not go Toolsy postal angry, but angry.

Unfortunately the little guy has very little recourse.