Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NVGiant

ESPN’s Too Early Top 25

Just now, Nevada Convert said:

We've actually been more 4 star guys than 3. I wouldn't stereotype all 5's as overly demanding and tough to work into a team concept. It's just a case by case basis for Muss. Certainly there are 5 star cancers out there being either way overrated or way into themselves too much. In the end the stars don't really matter, it's the realistic potential and proven performance that matters. Vegas is a classic example of lots of big stars with nothing to show for it. That's why successful coaches are paid so much. They see the real talent, know how they're going to fit, and know how to coach them up and develop. 

I just used the ESPN ratings which is generally one less star than other rating agencies to be consistent. For instance, Brown is a 4 star guy as was Zach Collins for Gonzaga. Deonte Burton was the only 4 star guy at Nevada this decade. So you can use Scout or Rivals and just add a star to everyone for grade inflation. Interestingly the last ESPN scouting report isn't as high on Brown as everyone else is.

4 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I just used the ESPN ratings which is generally one less star than other rating agencies to be consistent. For instance, Brown is a 4 star guy as was Zach Collins for Gonzaga. Deonte Burton was the only 4 star guy at Nevada this decade. So you can use Scout or Rivals and just add a star to everyone for grade inflation. Interestingly the last ESPN scouting report isn't as high on Brown as everyone else is.

I universally think the star system’s a joke but out of curiosity why is espn the gospel? IMO it’s just as stupid as the others. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

I universally think the star system’s a joke but out of curiosity why is espn the gospel? IMO it’s just as stupid as the others. 

I agree with you and ESPN is probably worse than others especially with mid majors. My perspective is actually down your line of reasoning where having a one and done 4 or 5 star guy isn't the panacea for Nevada that it's cracked up to be to in order keep Muss. He's doing just fine. If he really leaves because getting 4-5 star guys is that important then he'll be gone with the next blue blood program opening. And thank you very much for leaving the program in a much better place.

I think it’s safe to say that Muss is fine with the process he uses to fill his roster. Fans can pontificate all they want but IMO having 2-3 years of tape on a college player takes precedent to Muss over the unknowns of high school-aged players.

I think you’ll see the transfer model continue to shape and evolve college basketball and I think there will be programs who leverage the model and those who are impacted by it. Now a player like Brown is a different deal because he’s from Nevada’s/Musselman’s backyard, and he fills a need on the team. Landing this kid continues to lend credibility to what he is building. I still don’t think Nevada gets him but I like the job the staff has done recruiting him. 

7 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

To a coach like Muss, the star system doesn't matter at all. But as long as fans know about the major shortcomings of the star system, I still think it's better to have than not to have for pure entertainment purposes and rough player grading. If I see a 4 star kid, I know the chances are he's pretty good. It's just an OK starting point before you've had a chance to see them play and rate yourself. 

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

To a coach like Muss, the star system doesn't matter at all. But as long as fans know about the major shortcomings of the star system, I still think it's better to have than not to have for pure entertainment purposes and rough player grading. If I see a 4 star kid, I know the chances are he's pretty good. It's just an OK starting point before you've had a chance to see them play and rate yourself. 

I think our most recent grad transfer, Porter, was a 2* coming out of HS.  But as a transfer he was wanted by AZ, G Town, Okie St and others. 

IMO, stars don't matter as much as who else is recruiting the kid. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama