Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

It’s official, Gonzaga staying put

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Well according to Kalua Gonzaga and BYU are going to the Big West which makes absolutely 0 sense for both schools. 

@kalua pig used to hate on Boise State until we sent him one of these:

1406170100520124.jpg

If the rest of you would just learn to appease Kalua, he'd be more likely to support and send good juju the way of the MWC. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?62958-New-poll-WCC-or-MWC/page9

Start reading at Page 9. Some guy claims that the only way Gonzaga comes to the MW is if the MW and Gonzaga negotiate a new TV deal with ESPN. He then thanks ESPN for Gonzaga becoming Gonzaga. So this genius thinks that the MW is going to negotiate a deal with ESPN about two years before the current deal with CBS expires, losing all leverage, and probably committing ourselves to the one thing nobody wants........late night start times. Shit is genius. 

Looking forward to the Zags being added, or not come next week. As I have said, the Zags don't need us, and we don't need them. Both mutually benefit though.

16 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

The precedent is already set.  Especially if you bring Gonzaga on with their own special deal.

I think that it's likely that the MWC did learn a lesson when they sweetened the deal for Boise State.  If Gonzaga comes, I think the "sweetheart deal" (keeping a higher % of tourney credits more than likely) will be for ALL MWC programs.  Obviously, it's built to specifically benefit Gonzaga from past perfromance, but it's not unfair to any other MWC program - like the deal for Boise State most definitely was/is.  And with Gonzaga's past performance being the model, which basketball program in the MWC is going to whine about getting as low as 50% of the revenue associated with Gonzaga's frequent, deep runs?

They sure aren't going to build a football sweetheart deal for BYU - not that they'd come back anyway.    

12 hours ago, Aztec1984 said:

Can someone tell me why this thread entitled "Gonzaga" is now more about BYU? From what I can gather, only Gonzaga has been invited to join the conference.

When Nevada and GU lost, it officially became The Offseason and until May there are three allowable topics:

• BYU sucks and will suck for a long time but please come back
  • Realingment-why my school will be in the SEC and yours will be obliterated by a meteor
  • Next year predictions - why my team's juniors will become NFL/NBA level talent whereas yours will become fat - well, fatter

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

17 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

C'mon man. This year NMSU has to play not so mighty Liberty twice and it's a good thing their schedule maker included the nicknames of all opponents or even this college football nut wouldn't have known half of them.

Cool.  Since you are interested enough in NMSU football to comment on the schedule, let me respond with a couple points.

First, you mention playing Liberty twice and are correct.  NMSU found out about the Sun Belt's decision prior to 2016 season.  Naturally, the most difficult season to schedule as an indy was going to be 2018 as there was only 2 years to have it ready.  In a short time, we were able to get for 2018 - and i would expect a football nut to recognize these schools especially the 3 from MWC - Wyoming, Minnesota, BYU, USU, UNM, UTEP, Louisiana Lafayette, and Georgia Southern.  Moving to 2019 and beyond, scheduling is easier with more time to prepare and 2 games against Liberty will not be needed again.  The other options versus going indy was to play FCS and join Big Sky.  Yuck, and i'll spare the time to show Idaho's 2018 schedule as proof.

Second, my initial thought when indy was announced was we would be playing majority Sun Belt and CUSA with MWC sprinkled in.  To my surprise, the MWC is by far the most games moving forward.  You may not invite us in near future, but next best thing is playing us regularly.  Moving out to 2021, again with more time to plan, we already have SDSU, USU, UNM, SJSU, UTEP, Hawaii, UMASS.  We will add 2 P5 teams and an FCS team more than likely.  I guarantee you won't find a fan that prefers Big Sky FCS over MWC and CUSA opponents, not to mention at FCS we would not have FBS teams and our regional rivals UNM and UTEP playing at our home stadium.

Indy isn't ideal by any means for us for a multitude of reasons.  We aren't BYU and don't have those resources.  It is light years better than FCS though and looks like it will work for the foreseeable future.  Leaving the Sun Belt with a bowl win over USU, where our fans dwarfed a MWC school in Tucson, was icing on the cake in a year we went 5-0 vs MWC in basketball and football, broke the longest streak in FBS for a college bowl game, and finished basketball with a top 40 RPI (would have been second highest in MWC).  Really looking forward to the Wyoming game at home to open 2018 season.  I hope they travel better than USU fans did to Tucson.  More importantly, thanks to the MWC for filling out our indy schedules the next 5 years.  This conference already has made indy scheduling way easier than i anticipated.   

if BYU is offered to rejoin the MWC, but only on the condition that they bring football, I fully expect Tom Holmoe to jump on the piano and break out in song. 

I'm confident he already has this costume in his closet:

20 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Paranoid over slipping further into obscurity.  Paranoid over not having any good conference options.  Paranoid over losing the ESPN deal or having it reduced. 

BYU, like many other programs,  over value their worth.  BYU may be coming around to the notion that they really aren't all that much. 

Honestly, what does BYU bring to the table?  They have a good fan base, but other than that, it doesn't seem they bring much of anything.   

Is this the song you were looking for, Aslowhiteguy?

BYU’s Holmoe on the impending Gonzaga move to MWC, 

“On the lonely road I'm travelling on
The road that leads nowhere
As the ground and the sky wondering why
I'm alone so alone

I kept rolling on from tears for years
Sun is my only friend
With the wind on the bend and my pack in my hand
I'm alone so alone

I'm alone so alone
I'm alone so alone
I'm alone so alone

With my money spent, my clothes all torn
My spirit can't grow
I ain't got no friend where the power ends
I'm alone so alone

I'm alone so alone
I'm alone so alone
I'm alone so alone
And I feel like going home”

3 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

They sure aren't going to build a football sweetheart deal for BYU - not that they'd come back anyway.    

It wouldn't be a sweetheart deal, but they could do something like give each school their own T3 rights.  All the schools in the conference who own their own market could end up being for it.

3 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

It wouldn't be a sweetheart deal, but they could do something like give each school their own T3 rights.  All the schools in the conference who own their own market could end up being for it.

CSU is screwed

The World Needs More Cowboys!

14 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Well according to Kalua Gonzaga and BYU are going to the Big West which makes absolutely 0 sense for both schools. 

I think your mistake is in taking kalua seriously

4 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

I think that it's likely that the MWC did learn a lesson when they sweetened the deal for Boise State.  If Gonzaga comes, I think the "sweetheart deal" (keeping a higher % of tourney credits more than likely) will be for ALL MWC programs.  Obviously, it's built to specifically benefit Gonzaga from past perfromance, but it's not unfair to any other MWC program - like the deal for Boise State most definitely was/is.  And with Gonzaga's past performance being the model, which basketball program in the MWC is going to whine about getting as low as 50% of the revenue associated with Gonzaga's frequent, deep runs?

Well, it'll benefit them because you guys rarely earn any credits.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

When Nevada and GU lost, it officially became The Offseason and until May there are three allowable topics:

• BYU sucks and will suck for a long time but please come back
  • Realingment-why my school will be in the SEC and yours will be obliterated by a meteor
  • Next year predictions - why my team's juniors will become NFL/NBA level talent whereas yours will become fat - well, fatter

Hi guys.  How are things going?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

15 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Dick Harmon of the Deseret News ( @ole blu dude, @jackmormon ) weighs in on the MWC feverishly trying to add Gonzaga, and if it is worth it to the Zags:

Best Quote: "Finally, has Mark Few ever been to Laramie in January?"

Last time I checked Gonzaga charters to all away games, and basketball is played indoors in Laramie. Perhaps Dick thinks Gonzaga play's football. I would rather live in Laramie than Provo, but that's just me.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900014381/has-the-wcc-done-enough-to-convince-gonzaga-to-stay.html

21 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Dick Harmon of the Deseret News ( @ole blu dude, @jackmormon ) weighs in on the MWC feverishly trying to add Gonzaga, and if it is worth it to the Zags:

Best Quote: "Finally, has Mark Few ever been to Laramie in January?"

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900014381/has-the-wcc-done-enough-to-convince-gonzaga-to-stay.html

Laramie > Provo and it's not even close

The World Needs More Cowboys!