Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

It’s official, Gonzaga staying put

This no doubt has already been posted but the thread is so long I probably missed it multiple times. :shrug:The site called Mountain West Wire named the schools that probably have contacted Thompson to gauge expansion interest.#1. Gonzaga which all know to be accurate, the rest could just be media speculation  St Mary's,Grand Canyon,UTEP ,NMSU and Rice. Both BYU and Thompson deny contact with each other regarding expansion. the site says Grand Canyon and NMSU are nervous about the stability of the WAC. I was surprised that St Mary's was on the list, but other than playing in a tiny gym, they play decent basketball. 

33 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Maybe so. However, (1) if Gonzaga joins the MW as virtually everybody here says will happen and (2) BYU football continues to flounder as I believe is inevitable as long as Holmoe and Sitake remain in charge and (3) ESPN's significantly declining revenue means BYU gets offered only 60% or so of the TV $$ it has been receiving, with each passing year BYU will have less leverage in negotiating with the MW or the AAC. I really think that two years from now, BYU could be desperate to return to the MW.

I think if BYU makes a move it will be more than two years from now. When the TV contracts for the big boys come up, that is when we could see everything really implode

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

It would be nice to find out who the other schools were.  Maybe when this concludes we'll know

They talked to Gonzaga, according to the NMSU AD he talked to Thompson, I would also imagine they talked to UTEP. I wouldn't be surprised if they talked to Texas St and/or UTSA either

7 minutes ago, westfan said:

This no doubt has already been posted but the thread is so long I probably missed it multiple times. :shrug:The site called Mountain West Wire named the schools that probably have contacted Thompson to gauge expansion interest.#1. Gonzaga which all know to be accurate, the rest could just be media speculation  St Mary's,Grand Canyon,UTEP ,NMSU and Rice. Both BYU and Thompson deny contact with each other regarding expansion. the site says Grand Canyon and NMSU are nervous about the stability of the WAC. I was surprised that St Mary's was on the list, but other than playing in a tiny gym, they play decent basketball. 

the NMSU AD also confirmed that he contacted Thompson about moving to the MWC. UTEP's name keeps getting mentioned with MWC because of their past with many of the schools currently in the conference. The others I think there are many different question marks which all of them raise. Really the most logical choice would be Gonzaga because you add their Oly sports to even things out for basketball along with baseball and don't have to worry about football at the same time.

6 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:
6 hours ago, NWRebel said:

I haven't jumped into that discussion but, one point repeatedly brought up is that our current TV/broadcast contract will be expiring soon and that it will obviously be renegotiated.  The MWC with Gonzaga position is much better to bargain from than where we are right now.  If it would be better for us then it certainly will be better for Gonzaga as well.  The WCC conference from what I'm hearing get's peanuts now.  I haven't been able to find a dollar amount for that tv contract.  That being said, I do believe money is not GU's primary concern.  Playing in high school sized gyms where you walk in the court using the same entrances as the fans, lack of reinvestment towards basketball in various WCC programs,  better competition, etc.  

CBSSports clearly doesn’t read the MWCBoard...  You’d think Gonzaga was walking into a gold-mine by some of the posts here.

CBS doesn't have incentive to drum up hype (or even mention) TV negotiations from their own medium. Doing so is literally like handing us money beforehand.

The worst part are these useless blogs and local beat writers that parrot the same figures mindlessly while citing their material.

CBS is only in the sports business to draw away from ESPN. They are notoriously cheap and don't enrich their properties...they mearly create them to draw eyeballs away while slapping a CBS logo on things to feign credibility.

Aside from SEC football and the NCAA tourney (which they even cut up with Turner), they exist to water down markets.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Nine different Tournament reps from the BW within the last 10 years.  Even lowly Northridge improved themselves by hiring Mark Gottfried as their head coach.   UCR had nothing to lose with their coaching hire either.

I like the WCC.  We play them all the time in all sports, they're like family. But what are the bottom teams doing to raise the bar?  Pacific has disappeared since moving back.  We're not seeing Portland, LMU, Pepperdine or USF light the world on fire. 

Zero recent bids from anyone outside the top three save for USD in 2008.  That's not what BYU needs.

If Gonzaga, BYU, and St. Mary’s weren’t there then the WCC would have that same parity. Likewise, if BYU joined the BW the only parity would be involving which team gets the number two seed in the BW tournament. 

Like I said, the two conferences are the same except the WCC has a few consistently top 100 programs and the BW doesn’t. 

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Nine different members have an NCAA appearance within the last 10 years.  More competitive, isn't that what you want?

The fans wouldn't care about playing any of those teams.  They play Gonzaga, a top program in the nation, and they barely care about it.  They have more disdain for St Mary's than anyone else in that league.  BYU fans largely cheer for Gonzaga when they aren't playing BYU.  The lack of interest in a league like the Big West would be the same.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Just now, MWC Tex said:

Isn't it? 

Just stating the Zags havevno desire to join a 14 or 16 team football conference and BYU has no where to go.

They can go independent.  Never underestimate the power of butt hurt.  

1 hour ago, sebasour said:

I guess it's a matter of perspective, personally I'd view losing 2 (possibly 3) massive games on your schedule ever year as a  really big deal, especially when the schedule doesn't have a ton of meat to begin with. If you don't view it as a big deal that's fine though.

There's also the concern on tourney spots. You've made the tournament 3 times since joining The WCC but 2 of those were through the First Four and both seasons you had a win over Gonzaga which leads me to believe you wouldn't have gotten in without them on the schedule. I guess you can still win the league tourney which will be easier without Gonzaga, but it seems like that's going to be your only path to the dance most years. I wouldn't be content with that if I was a program like BYU.

The MWC being a one bid league the past few years was extremely boring, but I could at least take solace in the fact that that's usually not going to be the case going forward and if we turn our program around we can usually be playing meaningful games in January and February.

I guess I feel like what can you do about it?  My point is, the WCC is overall uninteresting even with a top program like Gonzaga, and whether they're here or not, it will continue to be so. Even the Gonzaga fans feel this way.  There's literally 14 games a year against bad teams, and BYU actually manages to not show up for some of those and lose.  BYU has played in the WCC final several times as a member, so it'll just boil down to a game against a team like St Mary's most years.  You don't deserve to go if you can't beat those guys anyways.

You guys act like the MWC has been tearing it up in recent years, and they haven't.  It's basically been 5 bids a few years ago and downhill from there, with a couple runs by SUDS and the recent run by Nevada.  All the runs have stopped in the round of 16, and bball hasn't been anything special here for a while.

I think if you add Gonzaga it's a three bid league at most, and two most years.  The talk of 5 bid years here is ridiculous.  Times have changed.  The midmajor bball leagues are not getting the respect from the committee that they did in yesteryear.  St Mary's wouldn't have been left out five years ago.  Neither would Middle Tenn.  Instead they've put scrubby teams like ASU, Syracuse, and UCLA instead of taking more teams from smaller leagues.

The main reason Gonzaga wants to come is I think they're likely having a more difficult time getting good games so they know the league schedule has to improve.  I think they can get whatever scheduling or money out of the WCC they would like.  The MWC is an overall better league, not at the top, but at the middle and bottom and that will help their decreasing OOC scheduling opportunities going forward and overall SoS.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, westfan said:

Jeremy Mauss is a longtime Boise State honk so that should be kept in mind. I suppose, of course, that Kustra could be telling Hairball what to do.

UTEP: It's known that Hairball has spoken with UTEP before so Mauss or anybody else who's been paying attention the last six years could guess that school is one of the six.

St. Mary's: Another no-brainer guess as a bookend for Gonzaga.

NMSU: Since we have our own "Gee, NMSU got to a bowl game in 2017 so that school has obviously turned around more than half a century of football misery" crowd, I'll buy that guess. However, even Thompson's not dumb enough to seriously consider those Aggies, who it can therefore be assumed called him.

Rice: The MW benefited from adding TCU in that having a member in the best football recruiting state in the Union bumps up that sport. When it was announced SDSU football would be going to the Big East, I heard from a reputable source that our faculty senate was giddy about having a connection to academically oriented schools like Navy, Tulane and SMU. Personally, I don't give a rat's behind about that but it might be a reason Rice could have a leg up on other state of Texas mediocrities the MW might consider.

GCU: Really? Their website says the school has been in existence for 65 years but despite having family just outside Phoenix and visiting the area every other year or so on business, I never heard of it until about 5 years ago. And has anybody besides me actually seen the campus? I've only driven around it rather than walking the campus but I didn't see a single building that looked like it was more than a decade old. And last I heard it was a FOR-profit school. Is it a Christian offshoot of the University of Phoenix? Whatever the case is, they should rename it Smoke and Mirrors University. Since Hairball was persuaded by SJSU administrators to urge his bosses to add that hot mess, it's clear that anybody can talk him into anything but no way, no how should the MW stoop so low as to consider THIS SMU.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Not sure if it was noted already but according to cbssports the deadline is April 6th for Gonzaga to decide so they can be included to the conference for 2018-2019. Of course they could be included at a later date as long as everything is finalized before July 1st. 

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Jeremy Mauss is a longtime Boise State honk so that should be kept in mind. I suppose, of course, that Kustra could be telling Hairball what to do.

UTEP: It's known that Hairball has spoken with UTEP before so Mauss or anybody else who's been paying attention the last six years could guess that school is one of the six.

St. Mary's: Another no-brainer guess as a bookend for Gonzaga.

NMSU: Since we have our own "Gee, NMSU got to a bowl game in 2017 so that school has obviously turned around more than half a century of football misery" crowd, I'll buy that guess. However, even Thompson's not dumb enough to seriously consider those Aggies, who it can therefore be assumed called him.

Rice: The MW benefited from adding TCU in that having a member in the best football recruiting state in the Union bumps up that sport. When it was announced SDSU football would be going to the Big East, I heard from a reputable source that our faculty senate was giddy about having a connection to academically oriented schools like Navy, Tulane and SMU. Personally, I don't give a rat's behind about that but it might be a reason Rice could have a leg up on other state of Texas mediocrities the MW might consider.

GCU: Really? Their website says the school has been in existence for 65 years but despite having family just outside Phoenix and visiting the area every other year or so on business, I never heard of it until about 5 years ago. And has anybody besides me actually seen the campus? I've only driven around it rather than walking the campus but I didn't see a single building that looked like it was more than a decade old. And last I heard it was a FOR-profit school. Is it a Christian offshoot of the University of Phoenix? Whatever the case is, they should rename it Smoke and Mirrors University. Since Hairball was persuaded by SJSU administrators to urge his bosses to add that hot mess, it's clear that anybody can talk him into anything but no way, no how should the MW stoop so low as to consider THIS SMU.

I get the impression the other schools mentioned all contacted Thompson, not the other way around. IMO, Grand Canyon looks like a possible WCC replacement for Gonzaga should they actually leave.

4 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I guess I feel like what can you do about it?  My point is, the WCC is overall uninteresting even with a top program like Gonzaga, and whether they're here or not, it will continue to be so. Even the Gonzaga fans feel this way.  There's literally 14 games a year against bad teams, and BYU actually manages to not show up for some of those and lose.  BYU has played in the WCC final several times as a member, so it'll just boil down to a game against a team like St Mary's most years.  You don't deserve to go if you can't beat those guys anyways.

You guys act like the MWC has been tearing it up in recent years, and they haven't.  It's basically been 5 bids a few years ago and downhill from there, with a couple runs by SUDS and the recent run by Nevada.  All the runs have stopped in the round of 16, and bball hasn't been anything special here for a while.

I think if you add Gonzaga it's a three bid league at most, and two most years.  The talk of 5 bid years here is ridiculous.  Times have changed.  The midmajor bball leagues are not getting the respect from the committee that they did in yesteryear.  St Mary's wouldn't have been left out five years ago.  Neither would Middle Tenn.  Instead they've put scrubby teams like ASU, Syracuse, and UCLA instead of taking more teams from smaller leagues.

The main reason Gonzaga wants to come is I think they're likely having a more difficult time getting good games so they know the league schedule has to improve.  I think they can get whatever scheduling or money out of the WCC they would like.  The MWC is an overall better league, not at the top, but at the middle and bottom and that will help their decreasing OOC scheduling opportunities going forward and overall SoS.

Which would still be a huge upgrade.  That would put us with the Big-East and AAC as the only non "power five" conferences consistently getting multiple bids. And yes I know the Big East is a step above the AAC/MW (even with Gonzaga). 

56 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Which would still be a huge upgrade.  That would put us with the Big-East and AAC as the only non "power five" conferences consistently getting multiple bids. And yes I know the Big East is a step above the AAC/MW (even with Gonzaga). 

You forgot the A10.

Zagdawg at the GUboard posted this article there.  I didn’t see it posted over here.  Just more news to aggravate our bywho fans.  B)

https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/While-the-Mountain-West-Conference-may-not-be-the-most-elite-of-moves-it-would-be-a-step-in-the-right-direction-for-Gonzaga-basketball-116692473

My strong view is that the WCC is bad, getting worse, and in danger of falling deep into anonymity.”

Well SGF, I know former Angels outfielder Tim Salmon is a Grand Canyon alum.  Otherwise, there's not much else :shrug:

http://www.gculopes.com/hof.aspx?hof=34&path=&kiosk=

GCU has one NCAA national championship, men's soccer in 1996 while they were Division 2 (and non-profit).  They're a D1 newbie.