Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

It’s official, Gonzaga staying put

4 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

They hired a consulant last year to help them for their interest in possibly moving to a new conference. Really the only two bits of information that is new is Thompson saying "The answer is, 'Yes,'" Thompson told CBS Sports. "We would need to have some serious, detailed conversations which have not happened to date. We're interested because they're a tremendous basketball program. They're Western-based."

And the second was saying Gonzaga would come without BYU. 

However the quote by Thompson to me could raise a few eyebrows. 

You hire consultants to tell you to do something (in a PowerPoint slide format).  If they tell you to do nothing and maintain the status quo, you get pissed that you wasted all that money on a consultant.  Consultants understand this.  Rest assured, the consultant will tell them to join the MWC.

9 hours ago, bignasty said:

You hire consultants to tell you to do something (in a PowerPoint slide format).  If they tell you to do nothing and maintain the status quo, you get pissed that you wasted all that money on a consultant.  Consultants understand this.  Rest assured, the consultant will tell them to join the MWC.

Isn't that the truth.  Our saying was that you give the consultant your watch so they can tell you what time it is.  

15 hours ago, NWRebel said:

Such a move would seemingly have little to do with revenue, at least for Gonzaga. The Mountain West TV contract is worth approximately $18 million (about $1.5 million per school). Gonzaga's current league, the West Coast Conference, gets a tiny fraction compared to that amount. 

Based on an industry standard that basketball is worth only 25 percent of any media rights contract, jumping to the MWC would net Gonzaga only $375,000 per season.

CBSSports clearly doesn’t read the MWCBoard...  You’d think Gonzaga was walking into a gold-mine by some of the posts here.

v0icAvfW.jpg

3 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Such a move would seemingly have little to do with revenue, at least for Gonzaga. The Mountain West TV contract is worth approximately $18 million (about $1.5 million per school). Gonzaga's current league, the West Coast Conference, gets a tiny fraction compared to that amount. 

Based on an industry standard that basketball is worth only 25 percent of any media rights contract, jumping to the MWC would net Gonzaga only $375,000 per season.

CBSSports clearly doesn’t read the MWCBoard...  You’d think Gonzaga was walking into a gold-mine by some of the posts here.

I haven't jumped into that discussion but, one point repeatedly brought up is that our current TV/broadcast contract will be expiring soon and that it will obviously be renegotiated.  The MWC with Gonzaga position is much better to bargain from than where we are right now.  If it would be better for us then it certainly will be better for Gonzaga as well.  The WCC conference from what I'm hearing get's peanuts now.  I haven't been able to find a dollar amount for that tv contract.  That being said, I do believe money is not GU's primary concern.  Playing in high school sized gyms where you walk in the court using the same entrances as the fans, lack of reinvestment towards basketball in various WCC programs,  better competition, etc.  

21 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

I haven't jumped into that discussion but, one point repeatedly brought up is that our current TV/broadcast contract will be expiring soon and that it will obviously be renegotiated.  The MWC with Gonzaga position is much better to bargain from than where we are right now.  If it would be better for us then it certainly will be better for Gonzaga as well.  The WCC conference from what I'm hearing get's peanuts now.  I haven't been able to find a dollar amount for that tv contract.  That being said, I do believe money is not GU's primary concern.  Playing in high school sized gyms where you walk in the court using the same entrances as the fans, lack of reinvestment towards basketball in various WCC programs,  better competition, etc.  

The pain in Provo is palpable right now.

44 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Nobody knows what Gonzaga will be paid because the TV contract hasn’t been negotiated yet. Even if it’s “only” 25%, we don’t know what it would be 25% of. 

Best Basketball Conference in the country.

New Conference Now

UNLV

SDSU

BYU

New Mexico

Boise

Hawaii (Football Only)

Gonzaga (All Sports but Football)

Houston

SMU

Memphis

Cincinnati

Colorado State

Air Force (Football Only)

Wichita State (All Sports but Football)

23 minutes ago, ClevelandBrown said:

I, for one, welcome our new basketball over lords.

hopefully that will make BYU desperate enough to take an AAC all-sports invite.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

37 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Best Basketball Conference in the country.

New Conference Now

UNLV

SDSU

BYU

New Mexico

Boise

Hawaii (Football Only)

Gonzaga (All Sports but Football)

Houston

SMU

Memphis

Cincinnati

Colorado State

Air Force (Football Only)

Wichita State (All Sports but Football)

Ive thought about the idea of the AAC and MWC merging to form a better conference top to bottom. Maybe Xavier, Creighton, Marquette, and Butler could be coaxed into the equation from the Big East. Maybe Loyola Chicago now too, lol. Obviously this is a pipe dream.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

You fellas are a funny bunch.

Is there not some concern on your end if Gonzaga bolts? I'm not trolling it's an honest question. Your league schedule would be 2 games against St. Mary's and that's it

36 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Is there not some concern on your end if Gonzaga bolts? I'm not trolling it's an honest question. Your league schedule would be 2 games against St. Mary's and that's it

Concern about what?  It's a 1 or 2 bid league max to start with.  I think they got three in one year since BYU has been there.

The league schedule is 4 games against St Marys and Gonzaga currently.  It would go down to two.  Both scenarios suck and the WCC sucks either way.

I mean, it's seriously boring to begin with once league seasons starts, and Gonzaga leaving doesn't change that.  It's been fun to beat them a few times in the Kennel but ultimately it hasn't mattered because they still win the league.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
14 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Concern about what?  It's a 1 or 2 bid league max to start with.  I think they got three in one year since BYU has been there.

The league schedule is 4 games against St Marys and Gonzaga currently.  It would go down to two.  Both scenarios suck and the WCC sucks either way.

I mean, it's seriously boring to begin with once league seasons starts, and Gonzaga leaving doesn't change that.  It's been fun to beat them a few times in the Kennel but ultimately it hasn't mattered because they still win the league.

Well said.  We only play Gonzaga 2 games a year...not like it changes the overall feel of the league if Gonzaga leaves (I'll be surprised if the do actually leave...we'll soon see).

I know you might disagree, but I'm more interested and intrigued in the WCC adding Denver and Grand Canyon.  Both schools have significant upside in my opinion, with money and fans.  I'd like the league to expand outside of California.  Phoenix and Denver would be great.

Hopefully the WCC expands to 12 teams with or without Gonzaga.