Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

It’s official, Gonzaga staying put

North             South

zags.              Suds

bsu.                New mex

af.                   Joser

wyo                 Unlv

utah st.            Fresno

reno.                Colo st

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

33 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Maybe invite Pacific in, so that Fresno has another Ghetto school in the conference?

Hello?  Reno

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, boisewitha-s said:

North             South

zags.              Suds

bsu.                New mex

af.                   Joser

wyo                 Unlv

utah st.            Fresno

reno.                Colo st

Switch NV and CSU and it could work.

I actually have a source to spread gossip!  Well, no one significant in any decision making power, and this isn't necessarily new information but...

Gonzaga and BYU are not locked at the hip.  The thought is that BYU is gone from the WCC eventually anyway.
Maybe not tomorrow but 3, 5 or 10 years.  They will get a better offer eventually and will take it--it's not
like they are going to insist Gonzaga come with them to the Big 12 if an offer came tomorrow.  That said,
BYU is aware of the "plan" (to get the best non P5 basketball schools under the same banner) so it's not
like they're in the dark either.  (My note: With BYU's ESPN contract expiring the same time as the MWC's,
if they ever are going to return in any capacity, the time is now)

Money's already been calculated, they would get more under the MWC even with it's current revenue sharing plan. 

Not necessarily a money move, but relationship with the WCC is fraying and there is a feeling they need  a change.  Comparing situation to Creighton, Butler, Wichita State, etc.   Decline of BYU in almost every sport since joining the WCC is being blamed on the WCC being a dead end.

St. Mary's is another school mentioned as part of "the plan".  But also not part of a package deal.

1 minute ago, WAC_FAN said:

I actually have a source to spread gossip!  Well, no one significant in any decision making power, and this isn't necessarily new information but...

Gonzaga and BYU are not locked at the hip.  The thought is that BYU is gone from the WCC eventually anyway.
Maybe not tomorrow but 3, 5 or 10 years.  They will get a better offer eventually and will take it--it's not
like they are going to insist Gonzaga come with them to the Big 12 if an offer came tomorrow.  That said,
BYU is aware of the "plan" (to get the best non P5 basketball schools under the same banner) so it's not
like they're in the dark either.  (My note: With BYU's ESPN contract expiring the same time as the MWC's,

Money's already been calculated, they would get more under the MWC even with it's current revenue sharing plan. 

Not necessarily a money move, but relationship with the WCC is fraying and there is a feeling they need  a change.  Comparing situation to Creighton, Butler, Wichita State, etc.   Decline of BYU in almost every sport since joining the WCC is being blamed on the WCC being a dead end.

St. Mary's is another school mentioned as part of "the plan".  But also not part of a package deal.

This is why I brought it up. I heard the same thing. If Gonzaga wants to bring along St. Mary's, I say go for it. Otherwise, leave them in the WCC. 

If I were SMC I'd want to use the momentum they've gained and stay in the WCC and become the "next Gonzaga" and the flagship program of the league, increasing their chances of an auto-bid every year.

I think, therefore I'm.

11 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

I wouldn't say BYU has declined in every sport.   They've declined in men's bball.  I have no idea on the money stuff you're talking about.

5 minutes ago, ClevelandBrown said:

If I were SMC I'd want to use the momentum they've gained and stay in the WCC and become the "next Gonzaga" and the flagship program of the league, increasing their chances of an auto-bid every year.

They don't do much to stretch themselves.  Their preseason is basically 10 home games against crap teams and then they play league.  I could see them just sticking around.  That's the way they've done things.

4 minutes ago, ClevelandBrown said:

Can we get one BYU fan to admit they'd do anything not to be left out of this move? Come on, we're dying to see it.

I want it to happen.  Which means it won't.  I hate the WCC for men's hoops.  The rest of the sports are fine there.  There were things I hated about Hair and stuff when we were here, but not the disdain I feel for WCC bball.   Imagine not giving one crap about 80% of the bball teams you play in league.  That's the WCC.

If BYU stays in the WCC without Gonzaga, that just shows me they're not interested in their college sports and they'll probably taper it down over the next several years and discontinue it like they've done at BYU-Idaho and BYU-Hawaii.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 minute ago, Jack Bauer said:

I wouldn't say BYU has declined in every sport.   They've declined in men's bball.  I have no idea on the money stuff you're talking about.

They don't do much to stretch themselves.  Their preseason is basically 10 home games against crap teams and then they play league.  I could see them just sticking around.  That's the way they've done things.

I want it to happen.  Which means it won't.  I hate the WCC for men's hoops.  The rest of the sports are fine there.  There were things I hated about Hair and stuff when we were here, but not the disdain I feel for WCC bball.   Imagine not giving one crap about 80% of the bball teams you play in league.  That's the WCC.

If BYU stays in the WCC without Gonzaga, that just shows me they're not interested in their college sports and they'll probably taper it down over the next several years and discontinue it like they've done at BYU-Idaho and BYU-Hawaii.

You could always join us.  We need a 12th member with a pulse who is outside CA...

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, ClevelandBrown said:

Can we get one BYU fan to admit they'd do anything not to be left out of this move? Come on, we're dying to see it.

As a BYU fan, we've seen so many of these expansion threads.... i'll believe it when I see it.

If we get left out of Gonzaga joining the MWC, then it will be more fun...  I think BYU would be working with @RebelRobert and SDSU to do a "Project 2.0".    It all depends on what Wyoming offers BYU at this point.

Whatever the hell happens, I'd like to get back to travel partners and do Thurs - Sat games each week.  Makes travel much easier for not only teams but fans.

SDSU & SM

Fresno & SJSU

Boise & Gonzaga

Wyo & CSU

AFA and NM

UNLV and Nevada

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Just now, #1Stunner said:

As a BYU fan, we've seen so many of these expansion threads.... i'll believe it when I see it.

If we get left out of Gonzaga joining the MWC, then it will be more fun...  I think BYU would be working with @RebelRobert and SDSU to do a "Project 2.0".    It all depends on what Wyoming offers BYU at this point.

What would a funnel cake get us?

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, pokebball said:

What would a funnel cake get us?

Hell, if you offer a funnel cake, and some green jello, then we are least talking. 

Mr. Burman.... tear down this wall!!!

23 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it hilarious that BYU is in this position after "The Project" - only to be trucked by something called "The Plan"?

I truly hope that is how they refer to it. 

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Hell, if you offer a funnel cake, and some green jello, then we are least talking. 

Mr. Burman.... tear down this wall!!!

So much of me wantsTom Burman to be the mastermind behind snatching the Zags and Gaels from the WCC.