Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CullenBohanon

Thompson: "We’re going to continue to grow our league.”

10 hours ago, WilliamHicks said:

Well, the only school I see making us better from the West Coast is Gonzaga. Oregon and Stanford probably are not interested, lol. 

So while we start tossing up names who wont really help us, might as well include Idaho. 

The other schools mentioned are 1000 times better than the vandals.  And they still aren't worth adding 

The MW would be extremely stupid to add NMSU. Conference expansion needs to make sense in terms of $$$. NMSU brings almost  nothing to the table, sure they have a decent bball team but UNM controls the market in NM. If you want to add teams for revenue and tv markets, stay far away from NMSU. 

14 hours ago, Spot50B said:

They would be Utah State 2.0.  Able to dominate in a middling conference but average in the MWC.  Their football program is an embarrassment. Adding them, or having a scheduling agreement with them, would be the worst idea ever.  This is a team that just got dumped by the f-ing Sun Belt.  

Cool. No formal scheduling agreement then.  But we do have this:

2018 - Wyoming, USU, UNM

2019 - UNM, Fresno

2020 - Hawaii, Fresno, UNM, SJSU

2021 - SDSU, USU, UNM, SJSU, Hawaii

Seems to me the trend moving forward is for more MWC games, with 5 schools on tap for 2021 as of today.  You don't have to call it a scheduling agreement, but i like it.  And if you are already scheduling as a conference 4 or 5 NMSU games, then it isn't a far leap to snag the basketball program which had a top RPI of 35 and leave the football program independent.  Collectively enough MWC schools have already signed up for football for it to make sense.

As far as USU 2.0, probably not a good comparison.  We got our RPI up and came close to top 25, getting up to 26 this year, by winning in OOC and knocking off P5 schools.  Dominating a WAC doesn't help our RPI.  USU isn't kicking butt in OOC then all of a sudden losing tough games in MWC.  They are losing games OOC as well, therefore entering the conference play as an average team already with an RPI that doesn't help the top teams.  

22 hours ago, CullenBohanon said:

But this all started when Thompson said this:

"“Since August,” Thompson said, “I have spoken to six university presidents and/or athletic directors that have called inquiring about whether we are going to expand, and the Zags are one of them."

This is part of Thompson's job. 

The World Needs More Cowboys!

31 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

The MW would be extremely stupid to add NMSU. Conference expansion needs to make sense in terms of $$$. NMSU brings almost  nothing to the table, sure they have a decent bball team but UNM controls the market in NM. If you want to add teams for revenue and tv markets, stay far away from NMSU. 

I hear SJSU resides in a huge tv market, you know for revenue purposes.

16 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Are you kidding me?  How much incompetence must this guy display before he is canned?   

It's almost a tie between Benson in his WAC Commissioner days and secret expansion plot and MWC Commissioner Thompson. Benson has recovered a bit as the Sun Belt Commissioner while Thompson continues his downward spiral.

:lol::lol::lol: 

Everyone's jumping to conclusions about Gonzaga not coming next season...I wouldn't believe those reports until either the MWC or WCC makes it official when it comes to Gonzaga...it's called leverage in negotiations.  Larry Scott did report similar news about CU not coming to the Pac-12 until 2012 when it ended up being 2011.  CU was able to reduce their Big 12 exit fees in about half by leaving "a year earlier than expected".

Don't be surprised if Gonzaga comes next season after all.

3 hours ago, alum93 said:

Cool. No formal scheduling agreement then.  But we do have this:

2018 - Wyoming, USU, UNM

2019 - UNM, Fresno

2020 - Hawaii, Fresno, UNM, SJSU

2021 - SDSU, USU, UNM, SJSU, Hawaii

Seems to me the trend moving forward is for more MWC games, with 5 schools on tap for 2021 as of today.  You don't have to call it a scheduling agreement, but i like it.  And if you are already scheduling as a conference 4 or 5 NMSU games, then it isn't a far leap to snag the basketball program which had a top RPI of 35 and leave the football program independent.  Collectively enough MWC schools have already signed up for football for it to make sense.

As far as USU 2.0, probably not a good comparison.  We got our RPI up and came close to top 25, getting up to 26 this year, by winning in OOC and knocking off P5 schools.  Dominating a WAC doesn't help our RPI.  USU isn't kicking butt in OOC then all of a sudden losing tough games in MWC.  They are losing games OOC as well, therefore entering the conference play as an average team already with an RPI that doesn't help the top teams.  

Patience is a virtue which should be rewarded and your school's will. Just like the WAC eventually became sufficiently desperate to take NMSU, so too will the MWC take NMSU since it has the worst commissioner and/or the most clueless board of directors known to man.

In the meantime, kindly desist from saying how good your football program has become. You finally got to a bowl game in 2017, which you managed to win, after a 56-year drought. BFD. The reasons had virtually nothing to do with a quantum improvement in your product but rather because (1) there is now an absurd glut of bowls and whatever game you played in had difficulty finding anybody else with six wins and (2) you played an opponent which also has a horrible football history and won mainly because its kicker missed four FG attempts after having missed only two during the regular season.

Boom goes the dynamite.

16 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Patience is a virtue which should be rewarded and your school's will. Just like the WAC eventually became sufficiently desperate to take NMSU, so too will the MWC take NMSU since it has the worst commissioner and/or the most clueless board of directors known to man.

In the meantime, kindly desist from saying how good your football program has become. You finally got to a bowl game in 2017, which you managed to win, after a 56-year drought. BFD. The reasons had virtually nothing to do with a quantum improvement in your product but rather because (1) there is now an absurd glut of bowls and whatever game you played in had difficulty finding anybody else with six wins and (2) you played an opponent which also has a horrible football history and won mainly because its kicker missed four FG attempts after having missed only two during the regular season.

Well,  USU was no Army, i'll give you that.  And i am 100% positive i have never used the words quantum improvement and NMSU football together for obvious reasons.  It was nice to go 2-0 vs MWC though, not going to lie.  Same for 3-0 in basketball, including sweeping the third place team.  2017-18 season is in the books and looking forward to football season.

I hope you are right that we will eventually be rewarded, even if it means the conference has to make a USU/SJSU type decision after losing multiple teams down the road.  And i recognize even then it might be CUSA or Sun Belt, depending on who falls where.  If the B12 implodes, i think we have a decent shot at MWC.  We just have to hold on until 2024 to FBS and courtesy of this conference primarily, schedules are filling out way better than this fan expected.  Now if we can just keep the momentum going...

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

Well,  USU was no Army, i'll give you that. 

Rocky Long did a terrible job of preparing his team for Army.

If you're a gambling man, here's a tip. If Rocky tells the media during the preparation weeks that bowl games are meant to give the players a vacation for their hard work before and during the regular season and to allow the coaching staff to see what returning players not in the two-deep can do during practice, you can bet (literally) that SDSU won't beat the spread and may lose outright. In December, I seriously contemplated laying some big money on the Aztecs at -7 since virtually every reliable metric suggested we would easily cover. However, once I heard him dig up that old fossil of an inane approach to the game which I thought had been permanently buried, I kept the money in my pocket.

And BTW, I was told by a pretty reliable source that a couple years before former AD Jim Sterk left for the same gig at Mizzou, Sterk told Rocky that although Rocky's top priority in playing in bowl games might not be winning them, winning them was the university's top priority. Sterk's successor is a great guy but he's such a milquetoast that I doubt he was that blunt with Rocky last year.

Boom goes the dynamite.

22 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

What does NMSU bring to the MW?

Specifically for UNM, it's one of your biggest draw in football.  This year it was the largest right?  It frees up 2 basketball games and a football game for OOC for you guys.

For basketball and MWC, it's simple.  We bring another top 100 RPI team to strengthen the league.  This year we finished 35, and that's in spite of WAC, not because of it obviously.  Had SDSU not upset Nevada, it would have been a 1 bid for what, 3 years in a row?  I might be wrong.  NMSU will draw well also against old rivals like USU, Nevada, UNLV, and of course UNM.  More importantly though, it won't be a 250-350 RPI program and can offset those schools with seeding in the tourney due to a better RPI.

As far as football, NMSU has got more competitive the last few years.  Of course we beat Locks like everyone else did for 4 years, but we have also beat UNM 2 years in a row and the game have been evenly matched going back 4 years.  We wouldn't make the league stronger, but i think we could avoid being a disaster as well, similar to UNM - no sarcasm at all intended.  I don't think football is where MWC is going to move up in the coming years anyway.  Boise will be Boise and another team will have a good/great year, but then move back.  It will be in basketball if it happens to break through.  I think Thompson is starting to see that as well, hence the Gonzaga saga that just unfolded.

Short answer to your question, we add another quality basketball program.  And our fans just put about 25k in a stadium for a bowl game.  It might seem insignificant, but look at attendance of other schools in similar size bowl games.  

This might be too far in the future to think about, but if B12 does implode and the remaining teams in that conference pull let's say Boise, BYU, and SDSU, or some combo of 3-4 teams, whoever they might be from MWC, NMSU also leaves MWC with a quality basketball program to build back up with.  2024 isn't that far off.  

I gladly concede there is no tv market.  Not going to pretend there is, so if that's what Thompson is chasing so be it.  But SJSU has millions and millions for a tv market, and how does that help.  Do they travel to your games?  Do your  fans travel to their place?  Your own fans vote when NMSU comes to Albuquerque, and vice versa when UNM plays in Las Cruces.  Numbers don't lie.  Fans love those game, talking specifically about UNM.  

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Thompson: "I'm going to continue to grow my hair."

Supercuts could use a new spokesman. 

5 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Specifically for UNM, it's one of your biggest draw in football.  This year it was the largest right?  It frees up 2 basketball games and a football game for OOC for you guys.

For basketball and MWC, it's simple.  We bring another top 100 RPI team to strengthen the league.  This year we finished 35, and that's in spite of WAC, not because of it obviously.  Had SDSU not upset Nevada, it would have been a 1 bid for what, 3 years in a row?  I might be wrong.  NMSU will draw well also against old rivals like USU, Nevada, UNLV, and of course UNM.  More importantly though, it won't be a 250-350 RPI program and can offset those schools with seeding in the tourney due to a better RPI.

As far as football, NMSU has got more competitive the last few years.  Of course we beat Locks like everyone else did for 4 years, but we have also beat UNM 2 years in a row and the game have been evenly matched going back 4 years.  We wouldn't make the league stronger, but i think we could avoid being a disaster as well, similar to UNM - no sarcasm at all intended.  I don't think football is where MWC is going to move up in the coming years anyway.  It will be in basketball if it happens to break through.  I think Thompson is starting to see that as well, hence the Gonzaga saga that just unfolded.

Short answer to your question, we add another quality basketball program.  And our fans just put about 25k in a stadium for a bowl game.  It might seem insignificant, but look at attendance of other schools in similar size bowl games.

Fair enough. I'd take NMSU only for bball. As a UNM fan I would like to free up two OOC games. 

5 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

Fair enough. I'd take NMSU only for bball. As a UNM fan I would like to free up two OOC games. 

I guess we'll see where Thompson tries to take the league.  The only conference he can poach from for football is CUSA if that is needed.  I think UTEP would fit in great with their basketball history and member of the old WAC, but i know that is not a popular idea.  Gonzaga would have been huge for basketball.  I still think they might make the jump in a year.  UTSA is always out there as a travel destination and i think has the money to be a player if they were to join.  But there aren't a lot of options, hence the USU and SJSU invites several years ago.

9 minutes ago, alum93 said:

As far as football, NMSU has got more competitive the last few years.  Of course we beat Locks like everyone else did for 4 years, but we have also beat UNM 2 years in a row and the game have been evenly matched going back 4 years.  We wouldn't make the league stronger, but i think we could avoid being a disaster as well, similar to UNM - no sarcasm at all intended.  I don't think football is where MWC is going to move up in the coming years anyway.  Boise will be Boise and another team will have a good/great year, but then move back.  It will be in basketball if it happens to break through.  I think Thompson is starting to see that as well, hence the Gonzaga saga that just unfolded.

This might be too far in the future to think about, but if B12 does implode and the remaining teams in that conference pull let's say Boise, BYU, and SDSU, or some combo of 3-4 teams, whoever they might be from MWC, NMSU also leaves MWC with a quality basketball program to build back up with.  2024 isn't that far off.  

I gladly concede there is no tv market.  Not going to pretend there is, so if that's what Thompson is chasing so be it.  But SJSU has millions and millions for a tv market, and how does that help.  Do they travel to your games?  Do your  fans travel to their place?  Your own fans vote when NMSU comes to Albuquerque, and vice versa when UNM plays in Las Cruces.  Numbers don't lie.  Fans love those game, talking specifically about UNM.  

UNM fans don't come to see nmsu in football.  That game is well attended because of the aggie fans that live in the metro area.  Why do you refer to nmsu as a quality basketball program?  I don't want to hear about the RPI of 35.  The RPI is a flawed metric. They rack up wins vs the WAC.  NMSU has a losing record vs the MWC.  NMSU has only 7 wins in NCAA tourney history( two of those wins were in meaningless NCAA consolation games)  Off topic, but why does your Men's Basketball page at NM State Sports refer to the aggies having played in 4 "Sweet 16's?  The term "Sweet 16" is only relevant to games played from 1985 on.  Since the aggies haven't won a tourney game that wasn't vacated since 1970, how can the aggies have played in four "Sweet 16's"?

5 minutes ago, stchas said:

UNM fans don't come to see nmsu in football.  That game is well attended because of the aggie fans that live in the metro area.  Why do you refer to nmsu as a quality basketball program?  I don't want to hear about the RPI of 35.  The RPI is a flawed metric. They rack up wins vs the WAC.  NMSU has a losing record vs the MWC.  NMSU has only 7 wins in NCAA tourney history( two of those wins were in meaningless NCAA consolation games)  Off topic, but why does your Men's Basketball page at NM State Sports refer to the aggies having played in 4 "Sweet 16's?  The term "Sweet 16" is only relevant to games played from 1985 on.  Since the aggies haven't won a tourney game that wasn't vacated since 1970, how can the aggies have played in four "Sweet 16's"?

Obviously you don't know how RPI works.  Being in the WAC actually hurts our RPI.  We had to beat quality programs including P5 in OOC (that means not the WAC) to get the RPI up. Yes the sweet sixteen was vacated, but UNM fans know it happened because it was played in the Pit.  And do you really care who fills your stadium?  Fans come out for NMSU, not CSU or UNLV as could be seen on the broadcasts.