Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

FIRE THOMPSON!!!!

2 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

It weakens the conference because the only teams the lower WCC teams will get are Big Sky, Southland and MEAC type schoos. 

But with an unbalanced schedule we now only have to play the worst teams in the WCC once and that is offset by the ooc games vs high majors. We're already scheduled at Creighton and Chapel Hill next season. 

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Do high majors want to play Pepperdine or Loyola and take a hit on their RPI. The weak just will get to play Fresno Pacific or Incarnate Word more often without 2 more conference games.

Sure.  If Pepperdine or LMU go on the road, they can play any high major they want.  They simply have to play it as an away game.  And most of the schools in the MWC that want to play "high majors" will have to do the same.

Guest #1Stunner
15 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I don’t think Thompson or the MWC looks bad in this situation. I personally think it shows that the conference is in a position of strength that they weren’t willing to give Gonzaga a sweetheart deal. It shows that the WCC is desperate and knows that Gonzaga is their overlord like Texas is to the Big 12. It does show that Gonzaga and Few are disingenuous about being tired of the other programs in the WCC not trying to improve themselves. All they are doing is weakening the conference. As has been said before, neither the MWC nor the Zags need each other but it would be a nice merger, possibly landscape changing for the conference. 

There are still 5 other schools that badly want in the MWC, per Hair Thompson.  I'm guessing one is NM State.

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Sure.  If Pepperdine or LMU go on the road, they can play any high major they want.  They simply have to play it as an away game.  And most of the schools in the MWC that want to play "high majors" will have to do the same.

That’s the point. Those teams have to do it two more times. It’s pretty hard to find new games late when the power conferences are scheduling less OOC games.

Guest #1Stunner
8 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

But with an unbalanced schedule we now only have to play the worst teams in the WCC once and that is offset by the ooc games vs high majors. We're already scheduled at Creighton and Chapel Hill next season. 

In some years, you might play BYU or Saint Mary's once.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, NMpackalum said:

That’s the point. Those teams have to do it two more times. It’s pretty hard to find new games late when the power conferences are scheduling less OOC games.

It is going to be the same scheding situation for most if the MWC, as well.  USU, Wyoming, AFA, SJSU, ....maybe also CSU and Fresno.  They aren't going to be able to get home and home games with High Majors either.

The WCC bottom feeders are simply going to schedule more games versus the WAC...they want to try and win 2 more games.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Why do you say that? 

The 16 game schedule means that Gonzaga, and every other WCC school, will play 2 schools only 1 time during the regular season.  And that will rotate among all the schools.  So every few years, Gonzaga and BYU will play 1 time during the regular season.  Same with Gonzaga and Saint Mary's.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

It is going to be the same scheding situation for most if the MWC, as well.  USU, Wyoming, AFA, SJSU, ....maybe also CSU and Fresno.  They aren't going to be able to get home and home games with High Majors either.

The WCC bottom feeders are simply going to schedule more games versus the WAC...they want to try and win 2 more games.

No doubt, but spy says that they aren’t weakening the conference. Take more money away and make them play low RPI games is weakening from my perspective. I don’t blame them but let’s not rationalize things.

1 minute ago, NMpackalum said:

No doubt, but spy says that they aren’t weakening the conference. Take more money away and make them play low RPI games is weakening from my perspective. I don’t blame them but let’s not rationalize things.

The conference already is weak. We're a major program in a scrub conference. It would be akin to Villanova in the Patriot League. We're holding out for a Big East Western Division, but that may never come. 

GU already had a pretty good OOC schedule. They played 3 ranked teams although they only beat Creighton that had a pretty poor season overall. The sole problem that GU has is the weakness of their conference schedule. Just eliminating 2 of those games won't change to overall impact of being in the WCC and they still need to win those 2 games even if they actually do use them and are able to schedule well respected teams. 

Few can continue to be the king of the conference and he is obviously being paid enough to be content. GU negotiating for a better deal was what was available at this time. Actually risking the status quo wasn't worth the potential downside of being #2 or #3 in the MWC I would guess. They have a near guaranteed path to the dance every year and they can keep chalking up those credits for a regular paycheck year in and out. Other than making a move to a top conference that sounds like a pretty sweet deal. 

It’s probably already been covered, but all Gonzaga did was further weaken an already weak conference. It appears they really don’t care. The WCC would be wise to go after Denver, GCU, and NMSU like they would have if Gonzaga left. Except that would just add more conference games when they just reduced conference games. 

2 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

The conference already is weak. We're a major program in a scrub conference. It would be akin to Villanova in the Patriot League. We're holding out for a Big East Western Division, but that may never come. 

Out of curiosity, what’s in it for the Big East to add Gonzaga. They seem to be doing ok without taking a geographic outlier for all their sports. I don’t see any options for Gonzaga other than the MW.

Taking more of the money from NCAA distributions means less money for other programs to improve their lot.

The bye for the basketball tourney is a good move for Gonzaga though because it avoids a game against a bad RPI team.

But taking more money away from your fellow schools does weaken them.

It's Boise States fault.  GU wanted a special carve out most likely.

"They’re much more favorable to ESPN,” Thompson said of Gonzaga. “They can carve out a portion of their own (TV) package. People in our conference are still questioning why Boise State has a carve-out in football (with ESPN), so I know that doesn’t fly.”

Just now, ole blu dude said:

To make a effort to get Gonzaga was fine, but to announce it to the world is just dumb, as Tom Holme of the Y said he was shocked when Hair went public with this. He got played.

Everything always goes public or did you not pay attention to all the discussion during the great P5 realignment and the Big 12 "expansion" even by commissioners.