Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

FIRE THOMPSON!!!!

6 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Why would I blame the people passing along the information?

Because it might have been inaccurate. g All we know is that the 2 sides were talking, we don't know what each side wanted.

I'd guess either Gonzaga never wanted to join the league and just used this as leverage to get more from The WCC, or they wanted the MWC to give them a sweetheart deal and the university presidents wouldn't vote for that. Either way, I don't see how it's Hair's fault. He's just a figurehead. 

This wasn't negotiating a nuclear non-proliferation treaty. There was nothing secret about it and if you don't think that GU was talking with the WCC the entire time then you are foolish. They were looking for their best possible opportunity to improve their position in the dance along with money money money. The WCC did what they had to do to keep them and far more than would have or should have been offered by the MWC. If Thompson would have offered that deal then that would have been inexcusable. The article posted a page back sounds pretty straight forward to me on how things went. Just because the deal didn't go through doesn't make the MWC look bad in any way. All of the hype on this board does look rather pathetic though.

They move on and so do we without another piss poor carve out that would have definitely been a bad deal.

35 minutes ago, mugtang said:

It made Thompson look like a fool.  

That's because he is, he just can't keep his mouth shut when he should, :secret:even if the deal with Gonzaga happened he should keep quiet until it did.Time for a new Commish.

10 minutes ago, JohnAdams said:

I feel sorry for anyone that thought this was anything more than Gonzaga using the mountain west for leverage in the WCC. I called it from the beginning. 

They don't play football.  Kind of a non starter for me. Glad the MW didn't bend over for them.  Some here are clueless.  

7 minutes ago, slappy said:

They don't play football.  Kind of a non starter for me. Glad the MW didn't bend over for them.  Some here are clueless.  

Plus the basketball facility is sub par to mountain west standards. 

28 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

This wasn't negotiating a nuclear non-proliferation treaty. There was nothing secret about it and if you don't think that GU was talking with the WCC the entire time then you are foolish. They were looking for their best possible opportunity to improve their position in the dance along with money money money. The WCC did what they had to do to keep them and far more than would have or should have been offered by the MWC. If Thompson would have offered that deal then that would have been inexcusable. The article posted a page back sounds pretty straight forward to me on how things went. Just because the deal didn't go through doesn't make the MWC look bad in any way. All of the hype on this board does look rather pathetic though.

They move on and so do we without another piss poor carve out that would have definitely been a bad deal.

After thinking about it, I think you're right.  I'm guessing the financial concessions were too good for Gonzaga to pass up and we weren't going to give them anything close to that.  And we shouldn't have.  And, if that's true, I think that hurts the WCC (except BYU) in the long term.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

This is telling from the SDUT article:

The Mountain West ranked ninth nationally this season in RPI, and the WCC was 13th. But add Gonzaga to the Mountain West and its conference RPI would have climbed to eighth. Subtract Gonzaga from the WCC, and it falls to 15th, below the Western Athletic Conference. Four WCC teams finished with individual RPIs of 250 or worse (out of 351 Division I schools).

The WCC had way more to lose than the MWC to gain - If the MWC can just improve itself, it could make up any difference that Gonzaga would bring............still it would have been a nice boost to the MWC to gain Gonzaga, but it's not like the MWC can't improve without adding Gonzaga 

Point being the MWC can get to 8th or higher on it's own merit while the WCC is still going to be a 80% low RPI league with or without Gonzaga 

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Last year with Wichita and this year with Gonzaga? You know the answer to this. Have your talks, but certainly don’t go public with it unless you want to look like a fool. 

Well, there’s that..

He just took a different negotiating tactic than you would have.  Perhaps his talking about a it was a calculated move. The talks had been going on for months and the deadline to get them in for next season was approaching.  Hair spoke out, the WCC responded and now, if we really want them, and they really want to step up, we have almost another year to get them a better deal.  And it is quite possible the MW has a great year and becomes even more attractive. 

I'm no apologist for Hair or even a fan, but I don't blame him for the Zags not coming next season.

As mentioned  earlier, this is probably signals the Zags will be making a move and probably fairly soon.  They've outgrown that league. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

While I'm all in favor of the MWC shoving Thompson out the door, I do think it's important to point out that this decision is just for right now.  Gonzaga is not moving to the MWC for the coming season.  But that doesn't necessarily mean they won't make a change the following season, or the season after that.

That said, I think it will be somewhat difficult for Gonzaga to turn their backs on all the NCAA tournament credits that they've earned for the WCC over the last few years - especially now that they'll get to keep a larger chunk of them.

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

He just took a different negotiating tactic than you would have.  Perhaps his talking about was a calculated move. The talks had been going on for months and the deadline to get them in for next season was approaching.  Hair spoke out, the WCC responded and now, if we really want them, and they really want to step up, we have almost another year to get them a better deal.  And it is quite possible the MW has a great year and becomes even more attractive. 

I'm no apologist for Hair or even a fan, but I don't blame him for the Zags not coming next season.

As mentioned  earlier, this is probably signals the Zags will be making a move and probably fairly soon.  They've outgrown that league. 

Good thing you mentioned this, I was beginning to think you were Craig Thompson.

17 minutes ago, mugtang said:

After thinking about it, I think you're right.  I'm guessing the financial concessions were too good for Gonzaga to pass up and we weren't going to give them anything close to that.  And we shouldn't have.  And, if that's true, I think that hurts the WCC (except BYU) in the long term.  

“You look at what the West Coast Conference did to accommodate them,” Thompson said. “Congratulations, that’s a good deal for them. There are just some things in there that I don’t think our membership would have accepted.

“They’re offering some things that probably don’t make sense for our league. Most conferences are adding games. They’re going to fewer games. We’ve increased our (NCAA Tournament) unit bonus, but what I’m hearing they’re doing, we’re not going to do that.”

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-gonzaga-mountain-west-wcc-20180331-story.html

1 minute ago, Bruininthebay said:

“You look at what the West Coast Conference did to accommodate them,” Thompson said. “Congratulations, that’s a good deal for them. There are just some things in there that I don’t think our membership would have accepted.

“They’re offering some things that probably don’t make sense for our league. Most conferences are adding games. They’re going to fewer games. We’ve increased our (NCAA Tournament) unit bonus, but what I’m hearing they’re doing, we’re not going to do that.”

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-gonzaga-mountain-west-wcc-20180331-story.html

Yeah everyone needs to step away from the cliff.  

Just now, slappy said:

Yeah everyone needs to step away from the cliff.  

Not sure the TV concessions would have been that bad - Unlike FB in BB there are more conference games and so let GU keep their ESPN home TV deal.....just means MWC teams get additional ESPN exposure in conference.

Unless there was some other behind the scenes things GU wanted - then that might not have been palatable to the overall MWC members

Still if NV keeps their track, SDSU sticks around........and if UNM & UNLV can get going the MWC will be fine without GU - the MWC can be a pretty good BB conference if all things fall into place 

Not seeing how Thompson can be blamed for the president's not giving Gonzaga a sweetheart deal. It's bad enough we have one with boise. Last thing we need is one with Gonzaga too.

They aren't worth a special +++++ing deal. They're a dry spell away from being USF (without the titles and HOFers and San Francisco).

+++++ it dude. Lets go bowling

Nothing has been made official yet. I'll wait until they say they're not coming. Gonzaga's AD pointed out that they would get more money 375K just for being in the MWC conference for BB than what they make on tourney credits in the wcc. Gonzaga is looking for more revenue to upgrade their facilities, staying in the wcc isn't going to cut it even with the new concessions.