Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

FIRE THOMPSON!!!!

4 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

But what if the only way to get the Zags were very large concessions?  Do you still want them?  It's not like Gonzaga came in with zero leverage.  Sounds like they got a sweet deal from the WCC.  I blame Thompson for not just shutting his mouth and stating no comment.  Although if he would have maybe pitched a WSU and Gonzaga league at the same time, something would have happened.  Bottom line though, I am amazed that the Presidents have been so slow to replace Hair.  

The last thing we need is another Boise type of deal. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

5 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

But what if the only way to get the Zags were very large concessions?  Do you still want them?  It's not like Gonzaga came in with zero leverage.  Sounds like they got a sweet deal from the WCC.  I blame Thompson for not just shutting his mouth and stating no comment.  Although if he would have maybe pitched a WSU and Gonzaga league at the same time, something would have happened.  Bottom line though, I am amazed that the Presidents have been so slow to replace Hair.  

Yeah I don’t think we should’ve given large concessions to get Gonzaga but still disappointing. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Hair putting it out there was a good thing. It put pressure on the Zags to make a decision. 

Holmie is a fool  who has taken BYU from being a P5 contender to sports irrelevancy. He's the last guy who should be taking pot shots at anyone. 

NO.  It wasn't a good thing.  It didn't change the outcome one bit.  It just served to once again make the MWC look small time.  Thompson specializes in that.

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Gonzaga adds 2 additional OOC games, enabling them to increase their SOS by playing 2 additional challenging games---probably against a P5 or the Big East.  And they keep their long association with the WCC Catholic schools.  So they likely have taken a "step up", and without having to leave ESPN exposure.

Maybe the MWC will also adopt a 16 game conference schedule?

Also, remember, Hair said he's been speaking with a total of 6 schools, not just Gonzaga.  Maybe the MWC pursues them now?  Not sure who those schools are though.

Two more good RPI games?  They'd get much more than that just by joining the MW. 

The Zags made the right choice. They improve their position without taking on additional risk. They made a wise business decision.  But there is no denying they walked away from the chance to play in a better league.  

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

We can thank Mugtang's It's Happening Thread complete with Ron Paul.  You don't play with Ron Paul like that.  

Fire Mugtang!!

I did also start the original fire Thompson thread.   I received info from multiple people it was going to happen.   Egg is on my face I suppose. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

NO.  It wasn't a good thing.  It didn't change the outcome one bit.  It just served to once again make the MWC look small time. Thompson specializes in that.

No it didn't.  It just let everyone know we are trying to get better and playing FB isn't necessarily a requirement for membership. 

If Thompson kept his mouth shut, the outcome wouldn't have been any different. 

Barack Obama

Well, as has been said many times, Gonzaga likes being the big fish. They didn’t want the challenge of playing the MW road games, their record wouldn’t be half as good as it has been. Good for them, they get to stay in the church league and the 2500 seat arenas. 

3 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

No it didn't.  It just let everyone know we are trying to get better and playing FB isn't necessarily a requirement for membership. 

If Thompson kept his mouth shut, the outcome wouldn't have been any different. 

From an outsider's POV, my biggest issue with Thompson wouldn't be how he handled Gonzaga, but rather one year earlier with Wichita.  The way he dismissed them from possible membership was not very diplomatic.  I know he was much more open to Gonzaga, but he made a public scene.  Not good

“For next season, it doesn’t look promising,” Thompson said shortly before Loyola Chicago and Michigan tipped off in the first semifinal at the Alamodome. “I’d put it like this: Today is today, none of us can predict tomorrow.

“We’re going to continue to grow our league. We’ll keep improving ourselves and see what happens.”

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

From an outsider's POV, my biggest issue with Thompson wouldn't be how he handled Gonzaga, but rather one year earlier with Wichita.  The way he dismissed them from possible membership was not very diplomatic.  I know he was much more open to Gonzaga, but he made a public scene.  Not good

“If they’re looking for a place to park their basketball program, it ain’t going to be us.”

Just now, 4UNLV said:

“If they’re looking for a place to park their basketball program, it ain’t going to be us.”

Bingo.  Telling a prospective member to pound sand like that is poor communication and reflects badly. 

Gonzaga is the ONLY non-football school I would consider.

It would be stupid to add anyone else. I mean a case could be made for Wichita State but that ship has sailed. It would be stupid to be stuck with a non elite program just so we can have 12 basketball schools. 

The ONLY reason I see taking anyone else at this point is if you fear college football with go extinct OR you fear the top half the of the MW is gonna create a new conference with the top half of the American. That would help protect your college basketball standing. However in either case I think the MW will be able to get all the schools (New Mexico State, ect) they are looking at now.   

Never understood the Boise deal.  Where else were they gonna go after the Big East mess?  Thompson blew it with Wichita State.  After BYU he was still thinking without FB you can't play with us.  To save face & maybe his job he can't keep his mouth shut putting GU in a bad position.  This guy has to go.

3 minutes ago, wolfan8431 said:

Never understood the Boise deal.  Where else were they gonna go after the Big East mess?  Thompson blew it with Wichita State.  After BYU he was still thinking without FB you can't play with us.  To save face & maybe his job he can't keep his mouth shut putting GU in a bad position.  This guy has to go.

Boise and SDSU would have stayed with the AAC for a few years at least.