Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SJSUMFA2013

OT: Herm Edwards

This espn story on herm "you play to win the game" Edwards reads like a key and peele sketch. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22850239/arizona-state-sun-devils-herm-edwards-unconventional-hire-bold-experiment

some choice cuts:

1. He spends several minutes of valuable, limited practice time explaining the dimensions of the field.

2. He says that he knew jameis Winston and Amari cooper were going to be first round picks as though he (and his pal Steve mariucci) was the only one. 

3. He makes all his players - division 1 athletes mind you - get into a stance at the start of every practice. This isn't so bad except he talks about it like the 3-point stance is some well-guarded secret that only chuck noll understood. He also spends a ton of time explaining it. 

4. He repeats the phrase "bend your freaking knees" 3 times.

5. 9 sentences on the difference between talent and fundamentals.

6. Claims to remember the old sparky logo...just like everyone else, I guess?

7. Ends on the magic of the word "ok." Ok.

i think asu might be in trouble. Think about this next time you complain about your coach. 

He is a hell of a coach, and no he has not forgot how to coach.

Passion and the time investment will tell if he is  worth a damn in D-1. We know they will run a 3-3-5 and we play them in September.

Good guy, hope he does well until we kick their Azz!

21 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I can’t wait for the 30-for-30 on this.

“What if told you that playing to win just wasn’t enough? Bedeviled: Herm’s 14 Months in the Sun.”

Same here. I once really liked Herm, him being an Aztec and all. However, he's slowly evolved into a buffoon in my eyes.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

I think the coaching staff is/was from before,

Herm is a "figure-head".

ASU football has been stuck in 2nd gear for years, why not do something different?

That little plan blew up on them.  That was the plan because they really liked the OC/DC under Graham.  After Herm was hired they both left.

I remember telling my dad that Herman Edwards was hired. Now mind you, my Dad played high school football with Herm at Monterey High, so he obviously is always rooting for him to succeed. But when I first told him ASU hired him to be their HC he just had this really puzzled look and after a few seconds said, “why the hell did they do that?”. Of course after a moment he started justifying it and saying that he might be able to do good there, but his initial honest reaction was just hilarious to me.  

On 3/30/2018 at 10:19 PM, retrofade said:

This was straight up, the most asinine hire of the entire coaching carousel. 

On 3/30/2018 at 9:55 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

This espn story on herm "you play to win the game" Edwards reads like a key and peele sketch. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22850239/arizona-state-sun-devils-herm-edwards-unconventional-hire-bold-experiment

some choice cuts:

1. He spends several minutes of valuable, limited practice time explaining the dimensions of the field.

2. He says that he knew jameis Winston and Amari cooper were going to be first round picks as though he (and his pal Steve mariucci) was the only one. 

3. He makes all his players - division 1 athletes mind you - get into a stance at the start of every practice. This isn't so bad except he talks about it like the 3-point stance is some well-guarded secret that only chuck noll understood. He also spends a ton of time explaining it. 

4. He repeats the phrase "bend your freaking knees" 3 times.

5. 9 sentences on the difference between talent and fundamentals.

6. Claims to remember the old sparky logo...just like everyone else, I guess?

7. Ends on the magic of the word "ok." Ok.

i think asu might be in trouble. Think about this next time you complain about your coach. 

What do you know about coaching?  How many games have you won?

6 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

What do you know about coaching?  How many games have you won?

Aww, how cute... toolsy is stalking me in the sports forum now as well. 

6 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

My madden career is stellar.  

6 hours ago, retrofade said:

Aww, how cute... toolsy is stalking me in the sports forum now as well. 

So you are both zero's.

i bet everyone really takes you both seriously.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

So you are both zero's.

i bet everyone really takes you both seriously.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Do you think Edwards will be successful? Care to make it interesting?