Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POKE FAN

Utah State Guard Koby McEwen Has Requested and Received His Release

9 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

The coaching change is just an excuse, he knows a bigger program will pick him up in a heartbeat.

Yup this is the issue will college bball a kid can up and quit on his team and move to a p-5 program. He's a good player but, from what a lot of aggie fans have witnessed he's weak mentally, doesn't handle criticism very well. Rummor is that is is headed to Ohio St. 

Helluva player. I wish him the best. Too bad Smith wasn’t coaching him from the start. He could be so much better with decent coaching. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

20 minutes ago, BlueRyder said:

Yup this is the issue will college bball a kid can up and quit on his team and move to a p-5 program. He's a good player but, from what a lot of aggie fans have witnessed he's weak mentally, doesn't handle criticism very well. Rummor is that is is headed to Ohio St. 

College coaches up and quit on their teams all the time, but they also get rewarded with more money and don't have to sit out a year.  Until that changes, I see no problem with kids playing wherever they want in the short 5 years they have.

45 minutes ago, dark brew said:

College coaches up and quit on their teams all the time, but they also get rewarded with more money and don't have to sit out a year.  Until that changes, I see no problem with kids playing wherever they want in the short 5 years they have.

agree to disagree, this is what destroying college ball.  IT will ultimately lead to more divisions in the collegate game which would be bad for the game. Just look at the the kid that commited to the cuse who is going to go to the d league this is very bad for the MW. Players that we would normally get who be no more.

10 minutes ago, BlueRyder said:

agree to disagree, this is what destroying college ball.  IT will ultimately lead to more divisions in the collegate game which would be bad for the game. Just look at the the kid that commited to the cuse who is going to go to the d league this is very bad for the MW. Players that we would normally get who be no more.

There really should only be about 10-12 D1 conferences.  The MW is solidly in that category.  In some of the non-con games UNLV played, you could tell the disparity in athletes.

29 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

There really should only be about 10-12 D1 conferences.  The MW is solidly in that category.  In some of the non-con games UNLV played, you could tell the disparity in athletes.

I don't disagree with the 10-12 D1 conferences, but what I don't want to see is 5 upper conferences that only play 1 game with the lower level. And that most of the the high end talent goes to the D league or Europe for 1 yr.  That will impact College bball in a big way!

Tbe kids chose to go to USU when he had offers from other P5 schools. Doubt he transfers if his coach isnt fired.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Multiple sources have already reported that McEwen requested his release prior to the coaching change. He was leaving no matter what. Coach Duryea also said last off-season that several AAU coaches were involved in shopping him around to P5 schools prior to this year. 

This is the state of college athletics right now. Many P5 schools just do their "recruiting" at G5 schools by targeting proven players rather than taking a chance on a HS kid that may need development. The pressure to win now and at all costs has never been greater.

No offense, but why would a talented player with options to play for a more successful program feel obligated to play for a losing program that can’t put enough talent around him to win?

I don’t see how this is a problem. These kids aren’t indentured servants.

8 hours ago, TrueAg said:

Multiple sources have already reported that McEwen requested his release prior to the coaching change. He was leaving no matter what. Coach Duryea also said last off-season that several AAU coaches were involved in shopping him around to P5 schools prior to this year. 

This is the state of college athletics right now. Many P5 schools just do their "recruiting" at G5 schools by targeting proven players rather than taking a chance on a HS kid that may need development. The pressure to win now and at all costs has never been greater.

The G5 school that won this conference does the same. The kids who transfer generally do so because either they don’t feel they fit in a coach’s scheme, fallen out of the rotation, or are talented players playing for subpar teams. I don’t see that as a problem.

Does anyone think that Brandon Clarke would’ve been better off sticking with SJSU? 

11 hours ago, KingBronco said:

As predicted. That chubby, fat-faced dude will be gone soon as well. 10 years from now USU fans will rue the day they canned Duryea as they look up to regional rivals Idaho State and Utah Valley. 

I would bet you any amount of money that this is not true. Merrill is an Aggie through and through. Since when did Boise fans get so uppity about basketball? We dominated Boise and pretty much everyone else in the wac for years. Yeah we’re down now, but I don’t think that’s the norm. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.