Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Fresno State Basketball Head Coach Finalists

I don't speak like Hutson and presumably some of you don't either but why do you give a rat's butt? Your school isn't hiring the man to be its president, its hiring him to be its basketball coach. And I can also tell you he isn't so "ghetto" (to use my 24-year old's non-derogatory term) when speaking to the media. And guess what? If he speaks that way when visiting inner-city households and it helps him land recruits - which he's been damn good at - would you rather he emulated Eddie Murphy when poking fun at Judge Reinhold in Beverly Hills Cop? In other words you'd rather he be erudite and sound uppity and phony? Smh . . .

Boom goes the dynamite.

28 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I don't speak like Hutson and presumably some of you don't either but why do you give a rat's butt? Your school isn't hiring the man to be its president, its hiring him to be its basketball coach. And I can also tell you he isn't so "ghetto" (to use my 24-year old's non-derogatory term) when speaking to the media. And guess what? If he speaks that way when visiting inner-city households and it helps him land recruits - which he's been damn good at - would you rather he emulated Eddie Murphy when poking fun at Judge Reinhold in Beverly Hills Cop? In other words you'd rather he be erudite and sound uppity and phony? Smh . . .

Nobody gives a crap. It's just not what you'd expect from a HC. Just like if we hired someone from Boston I'd watch that and laugh every time he dropped an R.

Then again I'm childish. I find that kind of 💩 amusing

Solid hire.  Ideally it would be more comfortable if he had some prior head coaching experience say at a Big West or Big Sky school.

He knows the league well and is one of the best recruiters for California over the past several years. FSU should be good defensively.

In terms of the three pillars of coaching the biggest question marks are can he effectively connect with/motivate his players, and Xs and Os wise can his teams manufacture offense at least at a decent rate.

1 minute ago, Ernie Baer said:

Solid hire.  Ideally it would be more comfortable if he had some prior head coaching experience say at a Big West or Big Sky school.

He knows the league well and is one of the best recruiters for California over the past several years. FSU should be good defensively.

In terms of the three pillars of coaching the biggest question marks are can he effectively connect with/motivate his players, and Xs and Os wise can his teams manufacture offense at least at a decent rate.

We were good defensively under Rodney Terry, but the offense was high school at best. If J-Hut doesn't find a way to score points and make it exciting, he will suffer the same fate as Rodney...playing in front of 1800 semi-warm bodies.

I like the hire. Hutson can build a winner in the "armpit of America. "

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

I'd like to see SDSU reach out to Lamont Smith to fill the seat. It won't happen in this climate but he could more than fill the void left by Hut.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

22 hours ago, callen said:

I say we just discontinue the men's basketball team, and start a circus instead. Castro, Robertello, and the search committee would be the clowns. I bought season tickets last year for the first time. Needless to say, I will not renew them no matter who the coach is. I am embarrassed to be a Fresno State basketball fan for the first time in my life. I will support the football team still, but the basketball games are pretty much meaningless now. 

Really? Your fandom is that fragile? 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

22 hours ago, callen said:

I say we just discontinue the men's basketball team, and start a circus instead. Castro, Robertello, and the search committee would be the clowns. I bought season tickets last year for the first time. Needless to say, I will not renew them no matter who the coach is. I am embarrassed to be a Fresno State basketball fan for the first time in my life. I will support the football team still, but the basketball games are pretty much meaningless now. 

you're a fool, tbh. 

58 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I'd like to see SDSU reach out to Lamont Smith to fill the seat. It won't happen in this climate but he could more than fill the void left by Hut.

No thanks. Btw it sounds like Shelton will stay on staff, hope Hutson does well

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Agreed and that's what I opined on ASR but was criticized by a couple posters who seemed to think that Smith admitted to the claim of a sexual assault. MY reading of the various reports is Smith admitted not to sexual assault but merely to having had an affair with the woman involving entirely consensual sex. One of the posters then pointed out that Smith had been canned by USD as if that means SDSU should view him as persona non grata. My opinion of THAT is that contrary to USD, SDSU isn't affiliated with a religion which views adultery as a sin but rather views it as being irrelevant to the hiring and retention of employees unless such private activity has a demonstrable negative impact on SDSU.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

Awesome. Our coach sounds like a member of the Wu Tang Clan

Isn't that a good thing?  That means Hutson is nothing to +++++ with.  Plus he can give solid financial advice to his players for later in life.  Diversify yo bonds!

Yep, He nailed the Press Conference.  Really engaging personality.Cant wait to see what recruits he brings in.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill