Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokebball

Which MWC coaches "applied" for the Tennessee job

14 hours ago, Spot50B said:

All teams are a coach away from disaster.  Boise could probably get away with a hire that is less than a home run and still manage to be competitive/bowl eligible but a bad hire can ruin any program.

I think very strongly that the argument can be made that Harsin actually was "less than a home run" of a hire. He had a really good team his first year that won a Fiesta Bowl (still can't believe we made that game after the less than stellar start to the season), and then had a very rough (by Boise State standards) year or so, and has finally (I hope) settled into the system here and started allowing the other people in the program do their job. 

I have no belief that he will be here in ten years, maybe even five, which is ok. I think the powers that be here know that they can't bring anyone in who is going to blow up the system and start from scratch, because we don't need it.

I wanted Dirk Koetter at the time, and still think he would have been the better hire because he would have stayed probably forever, and is just as good of a coach. He was certainly more proven at the time.

I am more than fine with Harsin. He is letting his staff contribute now, he obviously can recruit like a mofo, and he is on-track to have us challenging for Conference Championships and hopefully getting us to bigger Bowls over the next few years. But if he moves on, I have a high confidence that we won't pull an SJSU.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

3 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

I think very strongly that the argument can be made that Harsin actually was "less than a home run" of a hire. He had a really good team his first year that won a Fiesta Bowl (still can't believe we made that game after the less than stellar start to the season), and then had a very rough (by Boise State standards) year or so, and has finally (I hope) settled into the system here and started allowing the other people in the program do their job. 

I have no belief that he will be here in ten years, maybe even five, which is ok. I think the powers that be here know that they can't bring anyone in who is going to blow up the system and start from scratch, because we don't need it.

I wanted Dirk Koetter at the time, and still think he would have been the better hire because he would have stayed probably forever, and is just as good of a coach. He was certainly more proven at the time.

I am more than fine with Harsin. He is letting his staff contribute now, he obviously can recruit like a mofo, and he is on-track to have us challenging for Conference Championships and hopefully getting us to bigger Bowls over the next few years. But if he moves on, I have a high confidence that we won't pull an SJSU.

And that is where institutional support comes in.  Once upon a time CSU didn't have it and when Sonny started running out of coaches it was seen as no big deal.  The program was Sonny's and he'd live or die on whatever they threw him.  We died.   SJSU went the same route.  MacIntyre had them rolling and they were proud to call themselves a football powerhouse for a year or two, but when he left and it came time to back it up...they walked away financially.  Boise State was built on their FB program.  No way will the administration walk away from that.  If Harsin leaves the support from the top down will exist to keep the program at the top.

10 hours ago, Spot50B said:

I understand what you are saying but I respectfully disagree.  UCF was 0-12 two years ago.  Oregon went from the National Championship to an awful team with an awful defense just two years later.  Alabama could go 4-8 two years after Saban retires or leaves.  All it takes is the wrong choice to kill a program.  The better programs have a little more wiggle room but it still happens.

Correct. Unless you're a Gonzaga which is in a conference with an automatic bid but most of the members of which devote relatively little money to basketball, it's almost impossible to get to the post-season every year decade after decade. The same is true in football. Look at FSU. The Seminoles had to obtain a special dispensation in order to get to a bowl game in 2017 to maintain their post-season streak.

But some schools manage to catch lightning in a bottle. As examples there's Oregon and Phil Knight and Okie State and Boone Pickens. UCF? That school made a great hire in Scott Frost but although UCF is highly unlikely to regress back to 0-12, it's equally unlikely to have another 13-0 season because it doesn't have a graduate like Knight or Pickens.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Harsin really grew as a coach last off season and during the season.  Last year was a really good coaching job outside of one game, UVA.  The youngest defense in the country (or something like one of the 5 youngest) and the O-line woes to start the year not to mention Rypien was a mess.  Last year could have very easily been a 7 win type of year.  

11 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Agree on both counts:  I also would have preferred Koetter and Harsin was not a home run hire.  I have my issues with Harsin but he does love Boise State.  Last year's team jelled and had good chemistry by the end of the year (much like his first year team).  In his other years, the teams started off strong and then faded down the stretch.  He still has to figure out how to build a team that can go through an entire season without any letdowns.

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

And that is where institutional support comes in.  Once upon a time CSU didn't have it and when Sonny started running out of coaches it was seen as no big deal.  The program was Sonny's and he'd live or die on whatever they threw him.  We died.   SJSU went the same route.  MacIntyre had them rolling and they were proud to call themselves a football powerhouse for a year or two, but when he left and it came time to back it up...they walked away financially.  Boise State was built on their FB program.  No way will the administration walk away from that.  If Harsin leaves the support from the top down will exist to keep the program at the top.

This is what actually concerns me right now.  Kustra has been fantastic for Boise State, but he is retiring.  The problem I see is that (I believe) the SBOE has the say over who is hired to be the new president.  Look who they got for Idaho—if they make a bad choice like that, Boise could be in a world of hurt.

If Harsin leaves, next up should be Andy Avalos who I have complete confidence in. He rebuilt the defense and is well liked and respected by the players. Still actually day to day coaching is done at the assistant level. The head coach has got to be smart enough to find the best assistants available with the resources available to him. Your OC and DC need to be the most intelligent guys on your staff as they are instrumental in game planning and game adjustments. They need to always be one step ahead of your opponents. 

18 hours ago, bsubroncochick said:

This is what actually concerns me right now.  Kustra has been fantastic for Boise State, but he is retiring.  The problem I see is that (I believe) the SBOE has the say over who is hired to be the new president.  Look who they got for Idaho—if they make a bad choice like that, Boise could be in a world of hurt.

That's not exactly how it works. They certainly have some say, and could be making the final decision depending on how things go, but they are not preciously the hiring committee as most people would think of it. The SBOE hired a "search firm" that specializes in Higher Ed to get a list of candidates. A local committee also was active in submitting names (and yes Linda Clark is on that committee). There are a lot of people working on this.

Everyone involved in higher ed in Idaho knows exactly what role Boise State's Football program has played in the amazing advancements we have made as an institution. A Staben type hire is a non-starter. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

5 hours ago, RogueStout said:

That's not exactly how it works. They certainly have some say, and could be making the final decision depending on how things go, but they are not preciously the hiring committee as most people would think of it. The SBOE hired a "search firm" that specializes in Higher Ed to get a list of candidates. A local committee also was active in submitting names (and yes Linda Clark is on that committee). There are a lot of people working on this.

Everyone involved in higher ed in Idaho knows exactly what role Boise State's Football program has played in the amazing advancements we have made as an institution. A Staben type hire is a non-starter. 

Awesome. Thanks!