Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

Will the MWC add men's soccer for Gonzaga?

"The Union-Tribune first reported Feb. 28 that the Mountain West had held discussions with Gonzaga about a possible move, perhaps as early as next season. Sources have confirmed since then that talks have progressed, so much that they have even involved where to park the Gonzaga men’s soccer team next season.

Only five members of the Mountain West currently field men’s soccer teams, one short of the requirement to gain an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament, and thus belong to different leagues around the west. San Diego State, for instance, is a guest member of the Pac-12 to give it six teams (with UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington).

Time is likely too short for the Mountain West to formally add men’s soccer before 2019, so Gonzaga would have to play elsewhere in the 2018 season that begins in August – possibly in the WAC or another western conference in a one-year arrangement."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-gonzaga-mountain-west-wcc-20180326-story.html

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

UNM’s soccer team just joined CUSA (in our 3rd or 4th season with them I believe). If they do, I think UNM should bail on CUSA and come home to the MWC!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

It'll happen but not until 2019. 

As an aside, I'm shocked Fresno doesn't have a men's soccer team. I'd have figured that'd be a natural fit. I guess they don't have a water polo team there either and some of the best water polo in the country is played in the valley...yet they have a lacrosse team. Strange. 

And I sometimes associate Colorado with peroxide blonde soccer moms, mad on pharmaceutical cocktails, driving minivans to the strip malls they love so much there,  so I'm shocked CSU doesn't have a team. 

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

As an aside, I'm shocked Fresno doesn't have a men's soccer team. I'd have figured that'd be a natural fit. I guess they don't have a water polo team there either and some of the best water polo in the country is played in the valley...yet they have a lacrosse team. Strange. 

And I sometimes associate Colorado with peroxide blonde soccer moms driving minivans to the strip malls they love so much there so I'm shocked CSU doesn't have a team. 

title 9

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

title 9

Yeah. But Fresno could, for example, add men's and women's water polo and it'd balance each other out. 

And soccer can't use that many scholarships so it could be balanced out somehow, I'm sure. 

14 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah. But Fresno could, for example, add men's and women's water polo and it'd balance each other out. 

And soccer can't use that many scholarships so it could be balanced out somehow, I'm sure. 

Dog's added women's water polo when wrestling was brought back. Men's soccer was cut back in 2004 I believe. They ad pretty good success and was well attended. With Title IX, I doubt the team will ever come back. 

Via GoBulldogs.

BULLDOG SOCCER

Since its inception as a varsity program in 1970, Bulldog soccer has celebrated many accomplishments. It has since developed a standard of excellence spanning the last 33 years as a NCAA Division I sport. The proof is in the numbers.

* 25 winning seasons,including 22 of the last 25
* 14 NCAA playoff appearances, including eight consecutive bids from 1984 to 1991
* An appearance in the 1986 Final Four
* The school's first No. 1 national ranking (1987) by any Fresno State varsity sport
* 16-time NCAA playoff host
* 12 conference titles
* 8 All-Americans
* 18 past and current soccer professionals
* Numerous all-Academic, all-Conference and Player of the Year accolades.

Additionally, Fresno State soccer, a three-time NCAA attendance leader, is one of the largest collegiate soccer draws in the nation, having played in front of over 450,000 fans since 1981. In fact, in the 22 seasons that Bulldog Stadium has served as home, Fresno State has compiled a 175-48-18 record, while averaging 1,908 fans in 246 contests. In 1987, following Fresno State's Final Four appearance, the Bulldogs led the nation in total attendance, drawing 45,532 fans, while setting the NCAA single-match attendance record of 12,224 on Sept. 27, 1987, versus the University of San Francisco. Last year, the Bulldogs ranked sixth in the nation and led the Pac-10 in attendance.

Having earned the reputation as one of the country's premier soccer programs, regional and national prominence has gone hand in hand with Bulldog soccer. Bulldog Stadium has been selected to serve as a NCAA playoff site 16 times as 59,914 fans -- an average of 3,745 per match -- have gone through the gates to watch Fresno State pursue its quest for a national title in 13 of the last 21 years. And, having captured numerous individual accolades for its players and coaches in the last three decades, Fresno State soccer looks to continue that tradition for many years to come.

Only four coaches have been at the helm of Bulldog soccer: Bob Bereskin (1970-79), Fresno State's inaugural coach who twice captured conference Coach of the Year honors, Jose Elgorriaga (1980-90), the program's most celebrated figurehead who compiled a 170-58-20 record (.726) in 11 years and guided the Bulldogs to a NCAA semifinal appearance in '86, John Bluem (1991-96), who captured three conference championship titles, while collecting three coach of the year honors and guiding his teams to four NCAA tournaments in his six seasons and Dave Chesler (1997-present), who guided the Bulldogs to the 1998 WAC title, enters his 

24 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Boise has men's club soccer.  I would rather have seen the university add men's soccer over baseball, but I was obviously in the minority on that.  

I have nothing against soccer, but I would never have gone to see a game. I will definitely go to Bronco baseball games. I really enjoy attending college baseball games. I go out to TVCC a few times a year and that is a pretty bottom level stuff, but its a good time and those kids work their asses off. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

10 minutes ago, Sportzaddict said:

Dog's added women's water polo when wrestling was brought back. Men's soccer was cut back in 2004 I believe. They ad pretty good success and was well attended. With Title IX, I doubt the team will ever come back. 

Via GoBulldogs.

BULLDOG SOCCER

Since its inception as a varsity program in 1970, Bulldog soccer has celebrated many accomplishments. It has since developed a standard of excellence spanning the last 33 years as a NCAA Division I sport. The proof is in the numbers.

* 25 winning seasons,including 22 of the last 25
* 14 NCAA playoff appearances, including eight consecutive bids from 1984 to 1991
* An appearance in the 1986 Final Four
* The school's first No. 1 national ranking (1987) by any Fresno State varsity sport
* 16-time NCAA playoff host
* 12 conference titles
* 8 All-Americans
* 18 past and current soccer professionals
* Numerous all-Academic, all-Conference and Player of the Year accolades.

Additionally, Fresno State soccer, a three-time NCAA attendance leader, is one of the largest collegiate soccer draws in the nation, having played in front of over 450,000 fans since 1981. In fact, in the 22 seasons that Bulldog Stadium has served as home, Fresno State has compiled a 175-48-18 record, while averaging 1,908 fans in 246 contests. In 1987, following Fresno State's Final Four appearance, the Bulldogs led the nation in total attendance, drawing 45,532 fans, while setting the NCAA single-match attendance record of 12,224 on Sept. 27, 1987, versus the University of San Francisco. Last year, the Bulldogs ranked sixth in the nation and led the Pac-10 in attendance.

Having earned the reputation as one of the country's premier soccer programs, regional and national prominence has gone hand in hand with Bulldog soccer. Bulldog Stadium has been selected to serve as a NCAA playoff site 16 times as 59,914 fans -- an average of 3,745 per match -- have gone through the gates to watch Fresno State pursue its quest for a national title in 13 of the last 21 years. And, having captured numerous individual accolades for its players and coaches in the last three decades, Fresno State soccer looks to continue that tradition for many years to come.

Only four coaches have been at the helm of Bulldog soccer: Bob Bereskin (1970-79), Fresno State's inaugural coach who twice captured conference Coach of the Year honors, Jose Elgorriaga (1980-90), the program's most celebrated figurehead who compiled a 170-58-20 record (.726) in 11 years and guided the Bulldogs to a NCAA semifinal appearance in '86, John Bluem (1991-96), who captured three conference championship titles, while collecting three coach of the year honors and guiding his teams to four NCAA tournaments in his six seasons and Dave Chesler (1997-present), who guided the Bulldogs to the 1998 WAC title, enters his 

That's a shame. And good to know about water polo. 

39 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

And I sometimes associate Colorado with peroxide blonde soccer moms, mad on pharmaceutical cocktails, driving minivans to the strip malls they love so much there,  so I'm shocked CSU doesn't have a team. 

Tight budgets.  Title IX.

2019 is good enough to start MWC men's soccer.  Before I learned that NM had a team I thought there were only 4 teams.  I would have suggested GU, SJSU, UNLV, and Air Force join SDSU in the Pac12.  But, with NM I hope the MWC adds the sport and the Pac12 can pound sand with their 5 teams.

1 hour ago, LoboMan59 said:

UNM’s soccer team just joined CUSA (in our 3rd or 4th season with them I believe). If they do, I think UNM should bail on CUSA and come home to the MWC!

No. CUSA is one of the better soccer conferences. Why would we leave that for the sorry programs that would make up the MWC?

5 minutes ago, GOUNMLOBOS said:

No. CUSA is one of the better soccer conferences. Why would we leave that for the sorry programs that would make up the MWC?

You will do what the President's tell you what to do.

image.jpeg.971b6e08eb97d1a050d532d4906f6ebb.jpeg

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Men's soccer allows for a maximum of 9.9 scholarships.  

56 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

2019 is good enough to start MWC men's soccer.  Before I learned that NM had a team I thought there were only 4 teams.  I would have suggested GU, SJSU, UNLV, and Air Force join SDSU in the Pac12.  But, with NM I hope the MWC adds the sport and the Pac12 can pound sand with their 5 teams.

I don't think the Pac12 will drop it; UCLA, Cal and Stanford would throw a fit.  I'm guessing Sac State moves over to replace SDSU.  

The reason UNMLOBOS is being so cantankerous is that UNM men's soccer lives in or around the top 25. That said, reduced travel expense might be attractive right now.

3 hours ago, NWRebel said:

3 hours ago, NWRebel said:

So sayeth the Krusta!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

4 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

I vehemently disagree with this. CUSA is good at one thing and that's Men's soccer.

For the same reasons Gonzaga is joining in MWC BB, UNM soccer stays in C-USA: higher competition, more consistent rankings and better overall tournament profile.

Tourney selection for Olympic sports is woefully biased - it makes the NCAA BB tourney look fair and balanced by comparison - but you have to do what you can with what you have.

4 hours ago, RiverCityBronco said:

"The Union-Tribune first reported Feb. 28 that the Mountain West had held discussions with Gonzaga about a possible move, perhaps as early as next season. Sources have confirmed since then that talks have progressed, so much that they have even involved where to park the Gonzaga men’s soccer team next season.

Only five members of the Mountain West currently field men’s soccer teams, one short of the requirement to gain an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament, and thus belong to different leagues around the west. San Diego State, for instance, is a guest member of the Pac-12 to give it six teams (with UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington).

Time is likely too short for the Mountain West to formally add men’s soccer before 2019, so Gonzaga would have to play elsewhere in the 2018 season that begins in August – possibly in the WAC or another western conference in a one-year arrangement."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-gonzaga-mountain-west-wcc-20180326-story.html

What about men's and women's rowing?