Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Gonzaga vs current MWC teams (Few era)

17 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Oh right the "my team is too cheap to charter a plane" argument, or the "2 hours of plane flight AND 2 hours of bus riding is just extreme" argument. LOL. 

Literally the next post. yummy yummy

I guarantee there will be whining about GU getting a pass somehow, no matter their schedule. 

More to do with not wanting to lose and the overall state of Wyoming basketball. Were we a top 25 program, teams would come. 

Are parenthetical comments invisible to certain Aztecs?

Lol what?

Actually, the Aztecs do charter a flight to Wyoming.

We can't get Arizona or UCLA to do a home and home with us, It wouldn't matter if Wyoming was a top 25 programs, good teams won't schedule games on their floor. 

Nope, saw the NVM remark but since you first made the remark I felt in prudent to reply.

Last was a direct response to this which basically was in response to the first two of your bulletpoints: 

• GU somehow getting a pass on at least one of these things, if not all of them

5 hours ago, Zagaholic said:

I get the feeling the majority of the MWC thinks we will come in and fall flat on our faces. Good Luck.

Not at all.  The Zags have a great program and that  I personally think would be an excellent addition to the conference.

23 minutes ago, Aztec1984 said:

Actually, the Aztecs do charter a flight to Wyoming.

We can't get Arizona or UCLA to do a home and home with us, It wouldn't matter if Wyoming was a top 25 programs, good teams won't schedule games on their floor. 

Nope, saw the NVM remark but since you first made the remark I felt in prudent to reply.

Last was a direct response to this which basically was in response to the first two of your bulletpoints: 

• GU somehow getting a pass on at least one of these things, if not all of them

So how the hell is the travel "difficult" to Laramie with a chartered flight? It's a, maybe, 10 minute flight difference than to CSU. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

So how the hell is the travel "difficult" to Laramie with a chartered flight? It's a, maybe, 10 minute flight difference than to CSU. 

As long as you can fly directly in there isn't much of an issue. Any other sports, other than men's basketball, that go to Laramie don't fly charter. No matter how you get there you are still playing at over 7,000 feet. This year one of our players was suffering from "flu like symptoms" and missed the game in Laramie. Once he got back home he was fine so they expect he was suffering from altitude sickness.

6 hours ago, Zagaholic said:

Im of the opinion we will definitely have tougher games. But thats the whole point, i welcome it. Id rather go 25-5 or whatever instead of 29-1 if it means tougher competition to help us prepare for the tourney. 

Plus I would think (I’m just guessing) from a Gonzaga’s fan perspective there would be more exciting/fun conference games.  I know this is definitely the case for me when Nevada got into the MW.

5 hours ago, Aztec1984 said:

As long as you can fly directly in there isn't much of an issue. Any other sports, other than men's basketball, that go to Laramie don't fly charter. No matter how you get there you are still playing at over 7,000 feet. This year one of our players was suffering from "flu like symptoms" and missed the game in Laramie. Once he got back home he was fine so they expect he was suffering from altitude sickness.

Sandy vag

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

35 minutes ago, slappy said:

Now that is funny

Not sure what is funny about it, perhaps you can explain it to me? That was Hemsley, a junior who had played there twice. For one reason or another this time something made him feel ill. It happened to Kahwi Leonard as well when he played for SDSU. Back when I was a distance runner I would not have expected to compete at 7,000 plus feet and do well despite the quality of my conditioning.

2 minutes ago, Aztec1984 said:

Not sure what is funny about it, perhaps you can explain it to me? That was Hemsley, a junior who had played there twice. For one reason or another this time something made him feel ill. It happened to Kahwi Leonard as well when he played for SDSU. Back when I was a distance runner I would not have expected to compete at 7,000 plus feet and do well despite the quality of my conditioning.

So Helmsley played there twice with no ill effects but the 3rd time he gets sick. Must be the the altitude. Lol suds fans. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

13 hours ago, Zagaholic said:

I get the feeling the majority of the MWC thinks we will come in and fall flat on our faces. Good Luck.

I get the feeling the majority of the MWC thinks Gonzaga would drop 2-3 more games in the MW conference compared the WCC. Ie instead of going 17-1 in conference maybe 15-3. Still enough to win more MW regular season crowns than any other team will. Still enough to continue their NCAAT streak even if they drop a game in the MWT. 

If Gonzaga plays in the MW next year they will be underdogs in at least three away games: @UNR, @UNM, and @SDSU. And the rest of away games will be really tough. 

Gonzaga isn't going to walk in and win the league easily. Are they a good team? Of course, but right now I have Nevada winning it next year. 

8 hours ago, Aztec1984 said:

Dude you get 15 seconds extra time to qualify for USA swimming sectionals in a mile swim for that altitude. Running long distance when you were fit it would have sucked, but you still would have performed well. 

It just sounds like Laramie is in SDSU's head. You know that Gonzaga almost never loses in the Kennel, right? What are you going to blame when you lose there more often than not?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

9 minutes ago, happycamper said:

It just sounds like Laramie is in SDSU's head. You know that Gonzaga almost never loses in the Kennel, right? What are you going to blame when you lose there more often than not?

Bad food at Zip's

10 hours ago, Aztec1984 said:

Hmmm.....I wonder if they often felt ill during long commercial flights because a pressurized cabin is usually the equivalent of 6000-8000 feet above sea level.

3 hours ago, happycamper said:

Dude you get 15 seconds extra time to qualify for USA swimming sectionals in a mile swim for that altitude. Running long distance when you were fit it would have sucked, but you still would have performed well. 

In one sentence you admit that altitude affects athletic performance and in the next you try to relate that to your own home court advantage when they are unrelated. I guess we can wait and see if you have issues playing at 7,200 feet should y'all join the conference.

11 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

So Helmsley played there twice with no ill effects but the 3rd time he gets sick. Must be the the altitude. Lol suds fans. 

Yeah, the effects of altitude can be unpredictable. Just because you've experienced it before doesn't mean that you're immune to it.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Hmmm.....I wonder if they often felt ill during long commercial flights because a pressurized cabin is usually the equivalent of 6000-8000 feet above sea level.

Usually 8,000 feet. The B-787 pressurizes at 6,000. Long flights can be dehydrating but there isn't much room to do aerobics on an aircraft.

28 minutes ago, Aztec1984 said:

In one sentence you admit that altitude affects athletic performance and in the next you try to relate that to your own home court advantage when they are unrelated. I guess we can wait and see if you have issues playing at 7,200 feet should y'all join the conference.

Of course it affects athletic performance. The extent to which it affects athletic performance is so ridiculously overblown by SDSU fans you might think that Laramie is on the summit of Mt Everest. Furthermore, the salient point is that it affects athletic performance for everyone on the court. That 15 seconds for a 15 minute race is for athletes who live at that altitude. 

90% of SDSU's issues with Laramie are morale, not physical. A well-conditioned team at sea level will still be well conditioned at altitude, they'll just feel it.