Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Congrats WCC, Fire Hair!

3 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

LOL. WCC makes a last ditch effort to stop this hostile raid and the pants shitting on this board is on taco night at the old folks' home level. 

If they didn't make a move in an effort to secure the conference's crown jewel, it'd be a bigger surprise. 

That's the spirit!

44 minutes ago, mugtang said:

You only need 16 conference games when you have 9 teams.   I think GU is on its way here.   That isn't going to help the lower WCC because they won't get any quality teams to schedule.  Their RPI still will be at the bottom since 2 games isn't going to make a difference.  

Why in the world would the WCC give Thompson such a great blue print to negotiate with Gonzaga two weeks before the vote needs to be taken? At least wait a couple of days before so it limits the time the MWC can negotiate. Good lord that is stupid! We complain about our Commissioner, but I think the WCC might have made the wrong hire.

6 minutes ago, jlobo09 said:

Why in the world would the WCC give Thompson such a great blue print to negotiate with Gonzaga two weeks before the vote needs to be taken? At least wait a couple of days before so it limits the time the MWC can negotiate. Good lord that is stupid! We complain about our Commissioner, but I think the WCC might have made the wrong hire.

This would go along with the division thread.

6 on each side 

Play in your own home and away = 10 games

3 at home and 3 away against the other division.

1 minute ago, rudolro said:

This would go along with the division thread.

6 on each side 

Play in your own home and away = 10 games

3 at home and 3 away against the other division.

Old Big 12 had that scheduling format in basketball.  Round robin with the divisional rivals and one game each against the other division.

25 minutes ago, jlobo09 said:

OR, they are willing to give in even more and are waiting for the MWC's offer to have a final sit down with Gonzaga, then will sweeten the deal one last time.  They are negotiating and showing they will make concessions to hold on to their top team.  It might not be enough, so give yourself time if necessary to make it better.  I am sure Gonzaga is going to push to see what the breaking point is, and they have the MWC to hold over their heads.  Will be interesting to see who blinks first.  I don't think Gonzaga makes a move unless they get privileges like Boise did in football.

Even if Gonzaga leaves this is still a good change for BYU

1. Should slightly raise WCC RPI

2. BYU has no excuse (with Gonzaga gone) to not finish in the top 2 every year. Thus they just need to win two games (as oppose to most top 2 seeds winning three) in the conference tourney to make the NCAAT. A conference tourney where BYU with has a pseudo "home game" since BYU will have the most fans in attendance.

43 minutes ago, alum93 said:

OR, they are willing to give in even more and are waiting for the MWC's offer to have a final sit down with Gonzaga, then will sweeten the deal one last time.  They are negotiating and showing they will make concessions to hold on to their top team.  It might not be enough, so give yourself time if necessary to make it better.  I am sure Gonzaga is going to push to see what the breaking point is, and they have the MWC to hold over their heads.  Will be interesting to see who blinks first.  I don't think Gonzaga makes a move unless they get privileges like Boise did in football.

Just to be clear I don't think MWC is going to give a ton. (or do they need to) Everybody on this board is talking about money etc. There is more at stake here for Gonzaga besides money. If this was just about money Gonzaga wouldn't even be talking to other conferences. They are a top 20 revenue program. The Big 5/6 (with Big East) are going to a 20 game schedule. Lump in a early season tournaments and ACC/Big Ten challenge, Big 12/SEC challenge etc. and there are just not enough games to schedule OOC like Gonzaga did 2-3 years ago. That is the problem. It is hard to make run in the tournament when you get 4/5 seeds and you can't control who you play after Christmas (the WCC is probably going to get worse at the bottom not better). The scheduling changes WCC just did changes nothing. Who is going to LMU/Pepperdine etc 1:1? Probably the Big West and maybe the Big Sky. How is that going to boost the bottom half RPI?

It will be nice to have Gonzaga, but this basketball league is strong without them. Even in a very down year for the league we still had an RPI of 9 and sent two teams to the NCAA. With programs like UNLV, SDSU, Nevada, UNM, BSU, and even USU always trying to get better and with facilities that allow them to recruit big time transfers and quality HS players the MWC will be competitive. If I was Gonzaga now is the time to move. If they wait another few years (no pun intended) they might have less leverage, especially if the WCC continues to struggle and OOC scheduling starts to dry up even further.

6 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

If BYU and/or Gonzaga joins the MWC this year, we should have a board vote on whether or not to ban #1Stunner. Just sayin'.

I vote no.  If that masochist wants to continue to post here, I want him.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

You can shine up a turd but in reality all you have is a turd. The bottom of the WCC is bad and this doesn't help it get better. I think really the only game changer scheduling wise that could change things is if WCC says we will help you schedule better games. 

However their tournament format does seem similar to a few other conferences where the Top 2 teams only have to play at most 2 games in the conference tournament

Not sure if this has been posted, but they are going to a 16 team schedule now in conference. Maybe luring the zags to stay.                                                                        https://www.google.com/search?q=wcc+basketball&client=ms-android-att-us&hl=en-US&prmd=nsvi&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiR0JTErovaAhWCTd8KHRgSClUQ_AUIESgB&biw=360&bih=519