Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

USU hires Craig Smith

2 minutes ago, Mano said:

Good luck to USU, hope he turns out to be a great coach.

Thanks, Mano. We are all hopeful and the indicators are that he is an excellent coach and a good fit for Logan. He won't be sending any transfer players your way either. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

3 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Thanks, Mano. We are all hopeful and the indicators are that he is an excellent coach and a good fit for Logan. He won't be sending any transfer players your way either. 

Pffffffttt....how do you know? Is he not going to recruit Utah or any Mormons?

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Pffffffttt....how do you know? Is he not going to recruit Utah or any Mormons?

Dammit Skier I was being optimistic. Honestly the biggest priority after hiring Smith is keeping McEwen and Merrill on the squad. I hope neither transfers. McEwen is much more likely than Merrill. If another good player transfers from USU to Utah or BYU I'm going on both their campuses and spray painting male genitalia everywhere.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

17 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Dammit Skier I was being optimistic. Honestly the biggest priority after hiring Smith is keeping McEwen and Merrill on the squad. I hope neither transfers. McEwen is much more likely than Merrill. If another good player transfers from USU to Utah or BYU I'm going on both their campuses and spray painting male genitalia everywhere.

Being a smart ass, I may have jinxed Nevada. The Utes AD job just opened up and Nevada AD Knuth will probably be near the top of the list of potential candidates.

https://twitter.com/dougknuth/status/978323640755212288?s=21

10 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Being a smart ass, I may have jinxed Nevada. The Utes AD job just opened up and Nevada AD Knuth will probably be near the top of the list of potential candidates.

MW board karma is real. Never underestimate it. Scientifcally proven at this point. 

Good job USU, seems like a great hire on paper! Hopefully you guys are good again before long, I miss our old rivalry and want to see the Spectrum rocking again. Not many MW fans realize how tough a place to play that can be (could be the toughest home court in the MW).

27 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I am sure he is on the short list for replacements. Really big shoes to fill, hoping whoever they get can approach Hill's level of success ( hiring Ron McBride, Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham in football, Rick Majerus and Larry Krystkowiak in hoops, not to mention leading the Utes to the Pac ).  Living through the dark times for Utah's athletic program in the 70's and 80's for football, ( as well as the Archibald, Giacoletti and Boylen tenures in basketball ) I feel really fortunate to have had good and elite level coaches in football and basketball for the vast majority of Dr. Hills tenure.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

37 minutes ago, renoskier said:

This would be truly horrible. Knuth is the best thing to happen to our AD in a long time, I'd almost rather lose Musselman than Knuth (almost...).

Hopefully Utah has someone else in mind. Knuth seems happy in Reno, but I'm sure he'd take a job at UConn or Utah or somewhere else he's familiar with.

3 hours ago, Mano said:

I am sure he is on the short list for replacements. Really big shoes to fill, hoping whoever they get can approach Hill's level of success ( hiring Ron McBride, Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham in football, Rick Majerus and Larry Krystkowiak in hoops, not to mention leading the Utes to the Pac ).  Living through the dark times for Utah's athletic program in the 70's and 80's for football, ( as well as the Archibald, Giacoletti and Boylen tenures in basketball ) I feel really fortunate to have had good and elite level coaches in football and basketball for the vast majority of Dr. Hills tenure.

He hired Ray Giacoletti and Jim Boylen too.

3 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Boylen is my favorite Ute head coach of all time. 

3 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

When you hit so many home runs, you are forgiven for a couple of strikeouts.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

7 hours ago, bigd said:

Good job USU, seems like a great hire on paper! Hopefully you guys are good again before long, I miss our old rivalry and want to see the Spectrum rocking again. Not many MW fans realize how tough a place to play that can be (could be the toughest home court in the MW).

Oh man.  Loved being in the Hurd that night.   I miss it terribly.

21 minutes ago, easybronc said:

He looks like an ugly skinhead.  He won't do any better than .500 that got your last coach fired.  

Great call!!  I would’ve preferred a more handsome man as head coach. But what you gonna do??

one of the few people that I trust their basketball acumen, says the Craig Smith hire was a home run

21 hours ago, bigd said:

This would be truly horrible. Knuth is the best thing to happen to our AD in a long time, I'd almost rather lose Musselman than Knuth (almost...).

Hopefully Utah has someone else in mind. Knuth seems happy in Reno, but I'm sure he'd take a job at UConn or Utah or somewhere else he's familiar with.

Utah has been grooming an AD (Kyle Brennan) for the last few years, I would be shocked if he isn't Utah's new A.D.

1 hour ago, cosinama said:

Great call!!  I would’ve preferred a more handsome man as head coach. But what you gonna do??

Stew Morrill was quite a looker.

3 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Stew Morrill was quite a looker.

Famous Utah basketball coaches generally are. He and Majerus were both devilishly handsome as coaches. 

5 hours ago, easybronc said:

He looks like an ugly skinhead.  He won't do any better than .500 that got your last coach fired.  

Word is that what got Duryea fired is that he only beat BSU two of the three times they played.

2 hours ago, utaggies said:

Word is that what got Duryea fired is that he only beat BSU two of the three times they played.

Winning only 2/3 of games against BSU in hoops is an embarrassment.