Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RogueStout

Will Gonzaga join the MWC?

Will Gonzaga join the MWC  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Will Gonzaga join the MWC

• Yes Gonzaga will join the MWC
    • No Gonzaga will stay in the WCC

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

Gonzaga, UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, SDSU, Colorado State, etc...yeah, that's a pretty solid hoops conference.

BYU can join the WAC...NMSU, BYU, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, Seattle, etc.

LOL - moron.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I find it so mind blowing and even hilarious that some people think the WCC is still the perfect situation for Gonzaga, that G fans love it, and that the MWC doesn't offer much. Maybe some of these people need to talk to real Zag fans about that. 

It's worked out great to build the program, but they've long out grown it. Gonzaga is generally a respected program, but there are a lot of people out there that don't quite have full respect for them because they play in such a cupcake conference. And I think the folks at G realize this and want to do something about it.

What good does it do to pound high school teams by 45? Some say it gives G a chance to play their new players and get them better. My response to that is dream on. You think playing young guys against Pepperdine is going to get them ready for Arizona or UCLA? They'll have tougher competition in practice!! 

And as good as G is, their ceiling for recruiting would go even higher if they played in a decent conference. I'll guarantee you they've lost some elite recruits because they play in the WCC. Gonzaga needs tougher games and environments to help them prepare for tough OOC and tourney games. And then getting a lot more dough makes it a no brainer. They may not have finished this deal in time (due date in early March) for next year, but if it's not 2018-19, it'll be 2019-20. 

kat.jpg

4 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I find it so mind blowing and even hilarious that some people think the WCC is still the perfect situation for Gonzaga, that G fans love it, and that the MWC doesn't offer much. Maybe some of these people need to talk to real Zag fans about that. 

It's worked out great to build the program, but they've long out grown it. Gonzaga is generally a respected program, but there are a lot of people out there that don't quite have full respect for them because they play in such a cupcake conference. And I think the folks at G realize this and want to do something about it.

What good does it do to pound high school teams by 45? Some say it gives G a chance to play their new players and get them better. My response to that is dream on. You think playing young guys against Pepperdine is going to get them ready for Arizona or UCLA? They'll have tougher competition in practice!! 

And as good as G is, their ceiling for recruiting would go even higher if they played in a decent conference. I'll guarantee you they've lost some elite recruits because they play in the WCC. Gonzaga needs tougher games and environments to help them prepare for tough OOC and tourney games. 

I too am shocked at the amount of Zag fans on the Zag board that seem to oppose this move. No reasonable person can think it would not be a serious jump up in competition. Furthermore, it is clear that the Zags want an upgrade to their schedule. 

I am not sure what Roth is referring to, when he says there are some things that need to be worked out, and evaluated. However, I believe this thing is done, minus the fine print. Time will tell I guess.

4 minutes ago, fanhood said:

I too am shocked at the amount of Zag fans on the Zag board that seem to oppose this move. No reasonable person can think it would not be a serious jump up in competition. Furthermore, it is clear that the Zags want an upgrade to their schedule. 

I am not sure what Roth is referring to, when he says there are some things that need to be worked out, and evaluated. However, I believe this thing is done, minus the fine print. Time will tell I guess.

I've talked to a lot of Zag fans in the last few years that definitely want out. But these are older guys, and maybe that Zag board has a lot of students that don't like change. In their minds they probably see it as 'don't try to fix what ain't broke'.

kat.jpg

4 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Gonzaga, UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, SDSU, Colorado State, etc...yeah, that's a pretty solid hoops conference.

BYU can join the WAC...NMSU, BYU, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, Seattle, etc.

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

LOL - moron.

A-yr-ago CSU finished 2nd in the regular season & played in the tournament championship game, and our 27-win season wasn't that long ago.

52 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

A-yr-ago CSU finished 2nd in the regular season & played in the tournament championship game, and our 27-win season wasn't that long ago.

Birds of a feather.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I've talked to a lot of Zag fans in the last few years that definitely want out. But these are older guys, and maybe that Zag board has a lot of students that don't like change. In their minds they probably see it as 'don't try to fix what ain't broke'.

The ones complaining are small group of mostly older Alum that feel the Church league is more important to the soul of the student than some fancy new arena conference. Mad talking sad walking people as this deal gets closer and closer IMO.

20 hours ago, LetTheFurFly said:

I think you're overlooking the landscape surrounding Gonzaga's "model", which is changing.

The shrinking non P5 at-large bids and the reduction of OOC games in "Power 5" leagues are making Gonzaga's MO adjust.

Is their model functional now? Yes it is. Though it surely shows diminishing returns through higher NCAA seeds down the road and schedule conflicts.

The problem is Gonzaga wants these smaller WCC schools to follow their model... which is scheduling and investment..and that isn't going to happen in the climate above. It hasn't happened with provided tourney credits.

That's really the point of all of this.

The Zags want stability. They have plenty of money. The MWC is a natural progression in that regard.

The fact that this is all happening in the MWC's TV negotiation window makes for even more cause to jump on board: the prime scenario to work out the transition.

So playing in the MWC will make it easier for Gonzaga to schedule P5’s????

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 3/23/2018 at 10:27 AM, NorCalCoug said:

My best prediction is "No".  The Gonzaga "model" is clearly working just fine - no need to mess with it.  I don't think the MWC offers materially more than the WCC.  They have more in common with and more history with WCC schools.  The WCC offers easier and better destinations for Gonzaga.  I don't think they're eager to give up ESPN exposure to play on CBS Sports, Roots, and Facebook Live.  The MWC does not offer significantly more $$$ than the WCC.  In the end, I think they're using this MWC talk as leverage in discussions with the WCC and that they'll get whatever it is they want and will be content to stay put. 

I think Gonzaga is ready for a new boyfriend and will take the leap to join the MWC.  Yes, as you say their model has worked well to this point, but I think they see the MWC a step in improving their BB program.  There is a host of reasons for them to jump and I also think if BYU decides to piggyback with them that will seal the deal, but I also think they are more than willing to come over on their own.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

9 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

The MWC offers much much more opportunity for G to make more tourney money. Right now, they make the tourney and have to feed the WCC with their own winnings. So this year, G makes about approximately $100k to be paid over 6 years. So instead of making $5.1 mil they only get $0.6 mil over the 6 years. 

Now in the MWC with G, we'd have 5 schools that could make the tourney as soon as next year. So let's use a hypothetical example:

2018-19

Gonzaga Final Four = 5

Nevada Elite Eight = 4

SDSU Sweet Sixteen = 3

New Mexico Thirty Two = 2

UNLV Sixty Four = 1

You've got 15 units. That would give each MWC school about $500k per year for 6 for a total of $3 mil per school just for 2018-19 earnings. It's doubtful the MWC would average 15 units per year. But say the average is 12. That would be $400k per year for 6 for a total of $2.4 mil per school just for 2018-19 earnings. Counting all six years, each MWC school would be making $2.4 mil PER YEAR for a total of $14.5 mil per MWC school. In contrast, with G averaging 3 units per year, G would make a total of only $3.6 mil for 6 years. 

I'm sure Gonzaga would consider $11 mil more money over 6 years or nearly $2 mil more per year than what they make in the WCC to be significant. 

And then there's the TV deal that would make G a lot more money. 

I’m sure Gonzaga is salivating at the prospects of being in a MWC that will send 5 teams to the NCAA’s with teams advancing to the Final Four, Elite Eight, and Sweet Sixteen.  Your dream scenario is great and all but how realistic is that of a conference that just experienced its first multiple bid season in 3 years? 

v0icAvfW.jpg

I'm late to this voting party. I voted no. I don't have enough confidence in Thompson to put a deal together that would be financially beneficial to all of the existing MWC members.  Who are these other schools besides Gonzaga? BYU is usually mentioned here, but who else actually would bring value to the MWC? Maybe Thompson actually has a good plan, my belief is he doesn't.

On 3/23/2018 at 5:16 PM, Pelado said:

Pretty much.  They have been getting screwed on the conference revenue distribution model.  They earn the vast majority of the tournament credits and they are the biggest television draw.  They have been getting more than the other conference members, but it's a lot less than what they've brought in.  Based somewhat on what Morrison said, I think the conference will change the revenue distribution model and the scheduling model and that Gonzaga will stay.

Except that it’s about prestige and not $ distribution.  The AD said that it’s about growing the program so playing the same crappy teams but getting a little more money isn’t how you grow your program.

4 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Seems most of the opposition or doubt about this is coming from panicky BYU fans.  And for good reason I suppose. 

If Gonzaga joins the MWC I wonder if BYU would be interested in an invite from the AAC? I’d love to have em.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
28 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

If Gonzaga joins the MWC I wonder if BYU would be interested in an invite from the AAC? I’d love to have em.

I don't think it would work, unless it is football only.  Geography is too far away.

Guest #1Stunner
57 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

1280's program director is a big Aggie (USU) guy.

Scott Garrard?   

He's the same guy that said BYU had secret "flop houses" and paid for prostitutes for football players and basketball players.  He also claimed that BYU was buying TVs and car stereos for athletes, and that BYU was going to be receiving a huge punishment from the NCAA.  When it was investigated, it turns out that all that really happened was the equipment guy gave players extra socks, which they had to give back.

EED5VM3ARBDLPEW3ECBM4O33UE.png

maxresdefault.jpg