Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RogueStout

Will Gonzaga join the MWC?

Will Gonzaga join the MWC  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Will Gonzaga join the MWC

• Yes Gonzaga will join the MWC
    • No Gonzaga will stay in the WCC

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Denver could be great for the media rights deal along with Seattle.  If they could add GCU and one more school, perhaps the WCC might be able successfully offset the loss of Zaga.

GCU will never be a part of the WCC. Ever. 

7 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

pipe dreams

you're all fools.  they're not coming.

If they don't join, I'll permanently exile myself from this site. 

9 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

pipe dreams

you're all fools.  they're not coming.

Yes sir, barring some disaster, they are coming. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

21 hours ago, LoboSage said:

ESPN to Gonzaga...listen Zags, you are our western darlings, but as good as you are, it's just not good television to show you in half empty high school gyms. Shoot, even that top 25 team from Moraga plays in what appears to be a Jr. High gym.

As you are aware, our contract with the WCC is up in a year or so and interestingly enough, the MW contract with CBS is coming up at about the same time. Hear us out Zags, we at ESPN think it would make good business sense to showcase your product in MW arenas. We think that we can outbid CBS and negotiate a pretty attractive contract for the MW as long as you are on board. Gonzaga has a nice national following as does one of your current conference mates. We would like to showcase The New MW as perhaps the new, top western conference. We think that we can even get Bill Walton and his sidekick Dave on board as it appears that the "Conference of Champions" is headed toward some degree of suckitude.

We believe that a western conference anchored by Nevada and Gonzaga along with SDSU, UNLV, UNM, Boise and Wyoming (who wouldn't want to watch a  Zag/Cowboy clash from the 'Double D') is the future of Mountain Pacific programming. Now, if we can help mediate a truce between future conference mates Burman and Holmoe, a WYO/BYU renewal would be must see TV. I think that a Holmoe apology and a promise of good sportsmanship and ethical behavior from BYU would go a long way in repairing the Cougar/Cowboy rift.

This the New MW that ESPN would like to see: (in order of predicted finish for the 2018/19 season).

1...Nevada (if everybody plus Muss returns, Pack will be back beyond the sixteen)

2..Gonzaga (not sure who's coming or going, but Few will reload and dance for awhile again)

3...SDSU ( we believe that McDaniel will return and Aztecs will dance again)

4...UNM (Weir's Wolves will be loaded and will be part of the party)

5...UNLV (Rebels will compete better without McCoy)

6...BSU ( Broncos lose a lot but Rice always seems to have BSU in the mix)

7...WYO (7220...enough said)

8...BYU (Cougars won't have the Waves of the world for a given third place finish)

9...GCU (yes, because we at ESPN are forward thinkers, we want Grand Canyon and the Phoenix market to be a part of this Best of the West)

10...USU (not sure who's going to stay, but could finish ahead of BYU)

11...FSU (new coach...question marks)

12...CSU (new coach...question marks)

13...AFA (not a new coach and a trio of super sophs could propel the Falcons to a higher finish)

14...SJSU (I heard that Spartans are losing the core of their talent to transfer)

We at ESPN are working hard to help get this done and we will do our part. We suggest that the New MW allow for a merit based distribution of tournament dollars...yes, including SDSU. Also, to appease BYU and WYO, we would suggest institutional ownership of third tier TV rights.

ESPN sees the future of sports programming in the west and the future is the New MW.

Furthermore...we at ESPN cannot guarantee a future contract with the WCC...with or without GU.

This would be a great group. It could be divided into two seven team divisions with each division playing each other home and home and seven other games against the other division alternating home and home on a yearly basis, resulting in 19 conference games vs the current 20.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

40 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Denver could be great for the media rights deal along with Seattle.  If they could add GCU and one more school, perhaps the WCC might be able successfully offset the loss of Zaga.

I've wanted to see DU in the WCC for a long,  long time.  It makes way more sense for them than the shitty Summit League. Hopefully this becomes their opportunity.  It would be huge for that basketball program!

1 minute ago, RambleOn said:

I've wanted to see DU in the WCC for a long,  long time.  It makes way more sense for them than the shitty Summit League. Hopefully this becomes their opportunity.  It would be huge for that basketball program!

They would fit in really well. Honestly SU and DU replacing GU would be pretty ideal I'd think. 

This could cause NMSU to bolt the WAC too, should Seattle leave. They're already losing Bakersfield State. I could see UMKC going Summit should DU go to the WCC too. That would leave NMSU in the WAC with 4 bizarre fitting teams nobody else wants (Chicago State, UVU, GCU, and UTRGV). I'd think that if the dominos fall that way, NMSU is trying to get into the Big Sky for everything sans football, or Big West failing that. 

36 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

They would fit in really well. Honestly SU and DU replacing GU would be pretty ideal I'd think. 

This could cause NMSU to bolt the WAC too, should Seattle leave. They're already losing Bakersfield State. I could see UMKC going Summit should DU go to the WCC too. That would leave NMSU in the WAC with 4 bizarre fitting teams nobody else wants (Chicago State, UVU, GCU, and UTRGV). I'd think that if the dominos fall that way, NMSU is trying to get into the Big Sky for everything sans football, or Big West failing that. 

You're right.. this could be the first of many dominoes top fall in the smaller western conferences, and frankly that might be a good thing.   The WAC really just needs to go away at this point.

1 hour ago, BlueRyder said:

This is a done deal, just waiting for the anouncement. 1280 THE ZONE in SLC has been saying this for 2 weeks as well as sources that I have in an AD 's office. Wecolme to the West's power conference in bball!

Witch AD are you sourcing?

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Yes sir, barring some disaster, they are coming. 

They don't have another reasonable option. They want the Big East but the conference travel would kill them and then, at the end of the year they play the conference tournament in NYC. They would be giving a huge advantage to every other team in the league and I don't care if they have their own charter. 5 hour flights and 3 hour time changes hurt athletic performance, that is documented. They can stay in the WCC but there is no team they can add that is better than at least half the MWC teams. Hell, SMC beat no one outside of Gonzaga this year, how they were rated at the end of the year is beyond me. Of course, SMC doesn't play anyone in OCC outside of a draw in some holiday tournament

On 3/23/2018 at 11:27 AM, NorCalCoug said:

My best prediction is "No".  The Gonzaga "model" is clearly working just fine - no need to mess with it.  I don't think the MWC offers materially more than the WCC.  They have more in common with and more history with WCC schools.  The WCC offers easier and better destinations for Gonzaga.  I don't think they're eager to give up ESPN exposure to play on CBS Sports, Roots, and Facebook Live.  The MWC does not offer significantly more $$$ than the WCC.  In the end, I think they're using this MWC talk as leverage in discussions with the WCC and that they'll get whatever it is they want and will be content to stay put. 

The MWC offers much much more opportunity for G to make more tourney money. Right now, they make the tourney and have to feed the WCC with their own winnings. So this year, G makes about approximately $100k to be paid over 6 years. So instead of making $5.1 mil they only get $0.6 mil over the 6 years. 

Now in the MWC with G, we'd have 5 schools that could make the tourney as soon as next year. So let's use a hypothetical example:

2018-19

Gonzaga Final Four = 5

Nevada Elite Eight = 4

SDSU Sweet Sixteen = 3

New Mexico Thirty Two = 2

UNLV Sixty Four = 1

You've got 15 units. That would give each MWC school about $500k per year for 6 for a total of $3 mil per school just for 2018-19 earnings. It's doubtful the MWC would average 15 units per year. But say the average is 12. That would be $400k per year for 6 for a total of $2.4 mil per school just for 2018-19 earnings. Counting all six years, each MWC school would be making $2.4 mil PER YEAR for a total of $14.5 mil per MWC school. In contrast, with G averaging 3 units per year, G would make a total of only $3.6 mil for 6 years. 

I'm sure Gonzaga would consider $11 mil more money over 6 years or nearly $2 mil more per year than what they make in the WCC to be significant. 

And then there's the TV deal that would make G a lot more money. 

kat.jpg

Gonzaga, UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, SDSU, Colorado State, etc...yeah, that's a pretty solid hoops conference.

BYU can join the WAC...NMSU, BYU, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, Seattle, etc.

mem skyline sig.jpeg