Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RogueStout

Will Gonzaga join the MWC?

Will Gonzaga join the MWC  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Will Gonzaga join the MWC

• Yes Gonzaga will join the MWC
    • No Gonzaga will stay in the WCC

This poll is closed to new votes

zags have respect for their wcc teams.  they aren’t into back door deals and ploys.  only byu fans think like that 🤣

18 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Deeper runs than last year when they played in the national championship game?  Makes sense.

I admit - Didn't know the Zags were in the title game last season - BUT

Looking at the Gonzaga NCAA history they have had some nice runs, but deep runs are not the norm either

Gonzaga NCAA tournament record is 31-21 

1995 - 1st rd

1999 - E8 (year MWC began & Utah coming off the title game in 1998)

2000 - S16

2001 - S16

2002 - 1st rd

2003 - 2nd rd

2004 - 2nd rd

2005 - 2nd rd

2006 - S16

2007 - 1st rd

2008 - 1st rd

2009 - s16

2010 - 2nd rd

2011 - 2nd rd

2012 - 2nd rd

2013 - 2nd rd

2014 - 2nd rd

2015 - E8

2016 - S16

2017 - NT game

2018 - S16 

The best run for Gonzaga has been from 2015 to 2018 - a stronger conference might help them make that the norm 

7 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Here are the facilities of the 3 candidates to replace Gonzaga (or be added if Gonzaga stays).

If Denver is added the WCC, I think they will really take off (not compete with Colorado....but probably CSU, Wyoming, and AFA, for recruits)

23-Y-GRANDCANYON-master768.jpg

9066070.jpeg

SATILNBAVWDCUGM.20100831215837.jpg

Nobody competes with Air Force except Army and Navy. And maybe the Ivy League schools. A completely different group of recruits even for Denver.

..GO FALCONS..

11 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Looking at the Gonzaga NCAA history they have had some nice runs, but deep runs are not the norm either

1995 - 1st rd

1999 - E8 (year MWC began & Utah made the title game)

2000 - S16

2001 - S16

2002 - 1st rd

2003 - 2nd rd

2004 - 2nd rd

2005 - 2nd rd

2006 - S16

2007 - 1st rd

2008 - 1st rd

2009 - s16

2010 - 2nd rd

2011 - 2nd rd

2012 - 2nd rd

2013 - 2nd rd

2014 - 2nd rd

2015 - E8

2016 - S16

2017 - NT game

2018 - S16 

The best run for Gonzaga has been from 2015 to 2018 - a stronger conference might help them make that the norm 

This is still so significantly better than anyone else around here that it seems pretty silly to even complain about it.  They're already pretty successful without the MWC.  I think the MWC is better competition, but I think if they come they'll run this place too.  And SDSU will be mad about their favorable deal when SDSU has been earning a lot of the credits for this league.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

18 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

1995 - 1st rd

1999 - E8 (year MWC began & Utah coming off the title game in 1998)

2000 - S16

2001 - S16

2002 - 1st rd

2003 - 2nd rd

2004 - 2nd rd

2005 - 2nd rd

2006 - S16

2007 - 1st rd

2008 - 1st rd

2009 - s16

2010 - 2nd rd

2011 - 2nd rd

2012 - 2nd rd

2013 - 2nd rd

2014 - 2nd rd

2015 - E8

2016 - S16

2017 - NT game

2018 - S16 

There are very few teams nationally for whom deep tournament runs are the norm.  Expecting a conference change to improve on Gonzaga's post-season record is a little silly. It's especially silly when you consider all the teams that have had the advantage of being in the MWC have not really come close to eclipsing the Zags tournament performance.  If the conference is such a huge determinant of tournament success, why has Gonzaga alone amassed more tournament credits by themselves than the entire MWC combined?

I'm a Zag fan and I think we're as good as gone. Gonzaga is incredibly unhappy with the WCC and I'm not sure there's even anything they could do that will keep us, it still won't change the fact that 8 of the 10 programs don't have any interest in supporting their basketball programs which is ultimately the problem. It's best for our long term health to surround ourselves with programs that actually care, and actually try, so that we don't end up the next San Francisco or LMU. 

Personally I'd be surprised if this didn't happen, It makes too much sense for both sides. 

8 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Here are the facilities of the 3 candidates to replace Gonzaga (or be added if Gonzaga stays).

If Denver is added the WCC, I think they will really take off (not compete with Colorado....but probably CSU, Wyoming, and AFA, for recruits)

23-Y-GRANDCANYON-master768.jpg

9066070.jpeg

SATILNBAVWDCUGM.20100831215837.jpg

You forgot one.

image.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Shooter McDabbin said:

I'm a Zag fan and I think we're as good as gone. Gonzaga is incredibly unhappy with the WCC and I'm not sure there's even anything they could do that will keep us, it still won't change the fact that 8 of the 10 programs don't have any interest in supporting their basketball programs which is ultimately the problem. It's best for our long term health to surround ourselves with programs that actually care, and actually try, so that we don't end up the next San Francisco or LMU. 

Personally I'd be surprised if this didn't happen, It makes too much sense for both sides. 

I hope you're right. We'd love to have you. And I agree that it would be mutually beneficial for both the MW and the Zag program. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

58 minutes ago, Shooter McDabbin said:

I hope you're right. Gonzaga makes this a better conference immediately and I do think you will have an easier time recruiting players that may not want to play in small gyms. Your level of competition in conference takes a step up which I think better prepares you for postseason play and I do think viewers back East are going to be more willing to tune in to see a game of Gonzaga at Viejas much more than one at the "slim gym." Same goes for many of the other road games you would play, much easier to sell a game to a TV audience against UNLV, UNM, BSU, UNR than PSU, USF, Pepperdine, UOP. To be honest, you guys pretty much disappear once you start conference play.

7 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

My best prediction is "No".  The Gonzaga "model" is clearly working just fine - no need to mess with it.  I don't think the MWC offers materially more than the WCC.  They have more in common with and more history with WCC schools.  The WCC offers easier and better destinations for Gonzaga.  I don't think they're eager to give up ESPN exposure to play on CBS Sports, Roots, and Facebook Live.  The MWC does not offer significantly more $$$ than the WCC.  In the end, I think they're using this MWC talk as leverage in discussions with the WCC and that they'll get whatever it is they want and will be content to stay put. 

ESPN to Gonzaga...listen Zags, you are our western darlings, but as good as you are, it's just not good television to show you in half empty high school gyms. Shoot, even that top 25 team from Moraga plays in what appears to be a Jr. High gym.

As you are aware, our contract with the WCC is up in a year or so and interestingly enough, the MW contract with CBS is coming up at about the same time. Hear us out Zags, we at ESPN think it would make good business sense to showcase your product in MW arenas. We think that we can outbid CBS and negotiate a pretty attractive contract for the MW as long as you are on board. Gonzaga has a nice national following as does one of your current conference mates. We would like to showcase The New MW as perhaps the new, top western conference. We think that we can even get Bill Walton and his sidekick Dave on board as it appears that the "Conference of Champions" is headed toward some degree of suckitude.

We believe that a western conference anchored by Nevada and Gonzaga along with SDSU, UNLV, UNM, Boise and Wyoming (who wouldn't want to watch a  Zag/Cowboy clash from the 'Double D') is the future of Mountain Pacific programming. Now, if we can help mediate a truce between future conference mates Burman and Holmoe, a WYO/BYU renewal would be must see TV. I think that a Holmoe apology and a promise of good sportsmanship and ethical behavior from BYU would go a long way in repairing the Cougar/Cowboy rift.

This the New MW that ESPN would like to see: (in order of predicted finish for the 2018/19 season).

1...Nevada (if everybody plus Muss returns, Pack will be back beyond the sixteen)

2..Gonzaga (not sure who's coming or going, but Few will reload and dance for awhile again)

3...SDSU ( we believe that McDaniel will return and Aztecs will dance again)

4...UNM (Weir's Wolves will be loaded and will be part of the party)

5...UNLV (Rebels will compete better without McCoy)

6...BSU ( Broncos lose a lot but Rice always seems to have BSU in the mix)

7...WYO (7220...enough said)

8...BYU (Cougars won't have the Waves of the world for a given third place finish)

9...GCU (yes, because we at ESPN are forward thinkers, we want Grand Canyon and the Phoenix market to be a part of this Best of the West)

10...USU (not sure who's going to stay, but could finish ahead of BYU)

11...FSU (new coach...question marks)

12...CSU (new coach...question marks)

13...AFA (not a new coach and a trio of super sophs could propel the Falcons to a higher finish)

14...SJSU (I heard that Spartans are losing the core of their talent to transfer)

We at ESPN are working hard to help get this done and we will do our part. We suggest that the New MW allow for a merit based distribution of tournament dollars...yes, including SDSU. Also, to appease BYU and WYO, we would suggest institutional ownership of third tier TV rights.

ESPN sees the future of sports programming in the west and the future is the New MW.

Furthermore...we at ESPN cannot guarantee a future contract with the WCC...with or without GU.

15 hours ago, Shooter McDabbin said:

It's best for our long term health to surround ourselves with programs that actually care, and actually try, so that we don't end up the next San Francisco or LMU. 

That's great and this Aztec would be pleased to have you but be forewarned that SJSU definitely doesn't fit that category.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:27 AM, NorCalCoug said:

My best prediction is "No".  The Gonzaga "model" is clearly working just fine - no need to mess with it.  I don't think the MWC offers materially more than the WCC. 

On 3/23/2018 at 10:37 AM, #1Stunner said:

I agree.

I don't think it is going to happen.  I think the WCC will simply give Gonzaga what it wants.

I think you're overlooking the landscape surrounding Gonzaga's "model", which is changing.

The shrinking non P5 at-large bids and the reduction of OOC games in "Power 5" leagues are making Gonzaga's MO adjust.

Is their model functional now? Yes it is. Though it surely shows diminishing returns through higher NCAA seeds down the road and schedule conflicts.

The problem is Gonzaga wants these smaller WCC schools to follow their model... which is scheduling and investment..and that isn't going to happen in the climate above. It hasn't happened with provided tourney credits.

That's really the point of all of this.

The Zags want stability. They have plenty of money. The MWC is a natural progression in that regard.

The fact that this is all happening in the MWC's TV negotiation window makes for even more cause to jump on board: the prime scenario to work out the transition.

News

"We're going to be closing on a window that is going to be making it difficult," Roth said. "I think we're into that crunch period for sure if we're going to try to get it done for the fall of 2018. At the same time, we're not going to rush the decision because of timing. "

"In a perfect world, we're going to be making a decision in the next couple of weeks here," Roth added during the West Regional that concluded here Saturday. "But there is no such thing as perfect worlds in the crazy world of college athletics." 

Thompson said of Gonzaga, "We talked to them. A lot would have to happen between now and [a date close to] April 6. They're done [with the season]. Hopefully they think about it now."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/gonzaga-to-the-mountain-west-zags-hope-to-reach-conference-decision-in-next-two-weeks/

On 3/23/2018 at 11:22 AM, #1Stunner said:

2018 (this year) is the year that Grand Canyon completed their transition to D1, and were eligible to be in the WAC Tourney, and have a shot at the NCAA tourney.  Its impressive that they have as much fan support as they do.

Denver has been in terrible conferences---first the Sun Belt, 1 year in the WAC, and now the Summit.   If they join the WCC, and play BYU, I can tell you that at least for that game, their arena will be significantly filled.  BYU fans in Colorado would be thrilled to have an annual game in Denver.

Denver could be great for the media rights deal along with Seattle.  If they could add GCU and one more school, perhaps the WCC might be able successfully offset the loss of Zaga.