Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

URI offered Hurley $2 million per year to stay

Smart move.

The sky is the limit at UConn. Not so much at RI. They were bracket busters in the 90's too. Still a small mid major in the A10 that is overshadowed by Boston pro sports and always will be. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

He turned down Pitt too and their offfer. Took less money at Uconn. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, AndroidAggie said:

sounds like he just wanted to go to UConn

I think that’s what it came down to.  He can win it all at UCONN, probably felt like he reached the limit of what he could do at URI. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

28 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

wasnt just base salary of 2 million, I mean look at this offer. That’s massive for a mid major. Those last things are big, bigger assistant salaries and charter flights for all.

“I’m intrigued. Tell me more.”

8527499_web1_bkc-mwtourney_031117cs_029.

1 hour ago, Jaredcg said:

wasnt just base salary of 2 million, I mean look at this offer. That’s massive for a mid major. Those last things are big, bigger assistant salaries and charter flights for all.

Thats Gonzaga level commitment. I hope URI can get someone else in there with some loyalty to build that program. URI has to compete with providence basketball too, its not as easy a road as some people would think. 

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

“I’m intrigued. Tell me more.”

8527499_web1_bkc-mwtourney_031117cs_029.

I hope we can offer something like that to Muss.  We just built a basketball practice facility and are chartering more flights already. But if chartering all away games is what it takes then I’m all for it.  I don’t think Muss cares about the money as much as he cares about the resources to build a program. 

1 hour ago, Lester_in_reno said:

URI basketball was set for a total rebuild.

Maybe he figured he could do that  just as easily over   at UConn.

the state of Connecticut government  really supports UConn athletics. $$

4 of their top 5 leaders based on minutes played/points scored are graduating seniors. He would have been looking at a rebuild situation had he stayed. Really hope this is what keeps Muss around for next year and beyond. He has potentially 4 of 5 starters returning.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

19 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I hope we can offer something like that to Muss.  We just built a basketball practice facility and are chartering more flights already. But if chartering all away games is what it takes then I’m all for it.  I don’t think Muss cares about the money as much as he cares about the resources to build a program. 

I agree, I think you guys also have to offer his assistants a significant bump in salary. 

1 minute ago, Rosegreen said:

I agree, I think you guys also have to offer his assistants a significant bump in salary. 

I agree completely.  

4 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Smart move.

The sky is the limit at UConn. Not so much at RI. They were bracket busters in the 90's too. Still a small mid major in the A10 that is overshadowed by Boston pro sports and always will be. 

I’ve read/watched several articles and programs on Syracuse/UConn since each left the Big East. Is the sky the limit for either of these programs? It’s funny how identification with a region can impact recruiting. 

5 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Smart move.

That is like saying the "sky is the limit at UNLV." UCONN is in the American. They are just like the Mountain West would be with Gonzaga. Still not one of the P6 conferences for basketball. 

4 hours ago, mugtang said:

I think that’s what it came down to.  He can win it all at UCONN, probably felt like he reached the limit of what he could do at URI. 

In modern day college basketball, URI and Uconn are in basically the same position. I am not saying he should or should not have taken the Uconn job, but people forget that "Uconn" is no longer the Uconn of the Big East. They are like the rest of us, just with a really good history.

2 minutes ago, fanhood said:

That is like saying the "sky is the limit at UNLV." UCONN is in the American. They are just like the Mountain West would be with Gonzaga. Still not one of the P6 conferences for basketball. 

There are pretty much zero comparables between UConn and UNLV.

I'd love to hear why you think they are synonymous. This isn't Football we are talking about. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok