Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CPslograd

Tired cliche

No problem with Steve Jobs doing it, it was authentic and original.  I seem to remember Gates always wearing Dockers and a light blue button up shirt which seemed authentic too (he dressed like he worked at blockbuster) (howsthat for a 90's pop culture reference)

But all these succession CEOs wearing a costume for the crowd drive me nuts.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

CP, what's this about? Just the fact that high tech CEO's don't wear suits and ties?

Nah, it's that they all have this unauthentic image they try to give off.  I suspect the vast majority of those guys typically are dressed in business casual, but when they give a speech they all try to look like Jobs.

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Nah, it's that they all have this unauthentic image they try to give off.  I suspect the vast majority of those guys typically are dressed in business casual, but when they give a speech they all try to look like Jobs.

Is it really any less authentic than CEO's and CFO's in the past wearing suits? And regardless of whether or not it is or isn't.......does that really drive you nuts? You should find a hobby. 

9 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Is it really any less authentic than CEO's and CFO's in the past wearing suits?

Yes. CEOs and CFOs in the past wore suits because 1) that's what they wore every day anyway and 2) that's what everyone wore every day anyway.

9 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

And regardless of whether or not it is or isn't.......does that really drive you nuts? You should find a hobby. 

This is a website for talking about what 20 year olds do that irritate you...

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

24 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Yes. CEOs and CFOs in the past wore suits because 1) that's what they wore every day anyway and 2) that's what everyone wore every day anyway.

This is a website for talking about what 20 year olds do that irritate you...

Tech is one of those industries where most CEO's wear jeans on a daily basis, so I don't take it as putting on a show....it's what they wear. Same goes with Oil & Gas. I wear jeans and causal friday is shorts. The CEO wears shorts every day unless there's a meeting, in which chase, he wears jeans. 

8 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Is it really any less authentic than CEO's and CFO's in the past wearing suits? And regardless of whether or not it is or isn't.......does that really drive you nuts? You should find a hobby. 

Bitching about frivolous shit on Mug's silly board is my hobby.

On 3/12/2018 at 9:52 PM, CPslograd said:

No problem with Steve Jobs doing it, it was authentic and original.  I seem to remember Gates always wearing Dockers and a light blue button up shirt which seemed authentic too (he dressed like he worked at blockbuster) (howsthat for a 90's pop culture reference)

But all these succession CEOs wearing a costume for the crowd drive me nuts.

Back in the '50s businessmen also used to wear hats and the women wore white gloves.  When I was working I recall Fridays being dress down day.  That's when casualness began.  Then it spread to every weekday.  Hell man, it's not uncommon to see guys not even wearing a tie at weddings or funerals, the most sacred of events.  Think of the dough you're saving for your wardrobe.