Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ViAggie

Honest question - what happens to byu FB if we boycott them?

11 hours ago, slappy said:

@ViAggie the better question is does Utah state vote yes ( assuming a private vote) to allow them back in the MW?

Utah State is head to head right now with them and gaining every day   Now throw the WCC conference affiliation in the mix and the aggies will have a big recruiting advantage   

I don’t know if even USU knows what it would do.  Historically, we’ve played them about as much as any other school in the country.  Historically as well, BYU has stabbed us in the back.  We have a very smart president.  I’d imagine, if I were to guess, that at the end of the day we’d vote no.  We can always play them in FB and BB.  Bringing them back does nothing for us at this point.

Guest #1Stunner

This thread is the equivalent of those people that fantasize about telling their boss they quit, yet when reality arrives, don't have the balls to do so because they need the money.

BYU vs Boise.  Not going anywhere.  Both fanbases love the game.  Sellout for both schools.

USU vs BYU.  Not going anywhere.  One of the few home games USU can ever sell out or at least approach selling out.  USU can't get any P5s to ever play a game in Logan (except Wake Forest, one time), so they need and want the BYU game.  BYU needs and wants this game too.  It's also almost always played on Mormon General Conference weekend.

That's it... The other MWC games will be fewer and farther between.  BYU preference is to schedule SDSU, Hawaii, and UNLV, and I wouldn't be surprised if CSU and UNM are scheduled.  The Twins (SJSU and Fresno) are good, occasional filler...

Holmoe also recently said he almost scheduled AFA, and that it might happen soon as well.

Guest #1Stunner
12 hours ago, slappy said:

@ViAggie the better question is does Utah state vote yes ( assuming a private vote) to allow them back in the MW?

Utah State is head to head right now with them and gaining every day   Now throw the WCC conference affiliation in the mix and the aggies will have a big recruiting advantage   

USU is head to head with BYU now?

Not even USU fans believe your story...

USU just fired their basketball coach and the local media keeps running stories about how USU basketball will never be able to compete in the MWC.  That USU can't recruit with SDSU, UNLV, and the rest of the MWC.  Weber State's basketball coach is paid more than USU's coach (USU has no money).

And their football coach has had 3 consecutive losing seasons and is at risk of getting fired.

Kudos to a lot of schools beating BYU in football last year, but 1 losing season isn't the end all, be all.  We'll see what BYU football does in 2018 with an almost all new coaching staff.

12 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

We'll see what BYU football does in 2018 with an almost all new coaching staff.

Same thing they do every year:

• Cheap Late Shots
  • Whine like 13 year old girls
  • Think they are the Show
  • Replay gate
  • Be the pompous, useless, disingenuous SOB's they have always been and continue to be.

Nothing new...

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Bob said:

That is such a garbage schedule. Playing ECU, UMass, Idaho St. and Liberty in the home stretch. LOL

Sorry you feel that way...

BYU fans will just have to "suffer" through a home schedule of Utah, USC, Washington, Boise, Idaho St., and Liberty....

You AFA fans don't know how good you've got it sometimes.

I wasn't suggesting we break contract deals, just no new deals.  Honestly, what would byu do?  Scheduling more FCS schools to fill in the blank spots wont work.  I guess you could reach out to some MAC or Fun Belt Schools? 

51 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

USU is head to head with BYU now?

Not even USU fans believe your story...

USU just fired their basketball coach and the local media keeps running stories about how USU basketball will never be able to compete in the MWC.  That USU can't recruit with SDSU, UNLV, and the rest of the MWC.  Weber State's basketball coach is paid more than USU's coach (USU has no money).

And their football coach has had 3 consecutive losing seasons and is at risk of getting fired.

Kudos to a lot of schools beating BYU in football last year, but 1 losing season isn't the end all, be all.  We'll see what BYU football does in 2018 with an almost all new coaching staff.

Usually you are pretty good at seeing the big picture, but you are blinded here.  I am big on Utah State as long as BYU is not allowed back to the MW.  This trend of declining athletics will continue as we have seen over the last few years.  Now with the WCC ( with out Gonzaga ) turning into the WAC/Big Sky your situation only worsens.  From an outsider watching this, it is clear.  

Over the the next few years Utah State will continue to inch ahead of you.  This much I know.  That is why I was wondering in a vote, which party line would be followed.  Stunner I am rarely wrong, prepare. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, ViAggie said:

I wasn't suggesting we break contract deals, just no new deals.  Honestly, what would byu do?  Scheduling more FCS schools to fill in the blank spots wont work.  I guess you could reach out to some MAC or Fun Belt Schools? 

There are only really 2 schools you are talking about, then... USU and Boise.   They are the only schools looking to schedule BYU every year.   So that's where this topic starts and ends.

Do you honestly think either school is going to "boycott" scheduling BYU?

The other schools are only scheduling BYU something like two games every ten years.   (see SDSU and UNLV as an example).   I don't see that changing much either.

Holmoe recently stated that he's had some more scheduling discussions with other MWC schools, and mentioned AFA by name.   So I think you are going to see more BYU vs MWC announcements very soon.

4 minutes ago, slappy said:

Usually you are pretty good at seeing the big picture, but you are blinded here.  I am big on Utah State as long as BYU is not allowed back to the MW.  This trend of declining athletics will continue as we have seen over the last few years.  Now with the WCC ( with out Gonzaga ) turning into the WAC/Big Sky your situation only worsens.  From an outsider watching this, it is clear.  

Over the the next few years Utah State will continue to inch ahead of you.  This much I know.  That is why I was wondering in a vote, which party line would be followed.  Stunner I am rarely wrong, prepare. 

Good point, why take in the third best program in Utah? 

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, slappy said:

Over the the next few years Utah State will continue to inch ahead of you.  This much I know.  That is why I was wondering in a vote.  Stunner I am rarely wrong, prepare. 

I don't think you understand the dynamics of the State of Utah.

Unless BYU all of a sudden loses all of its fans in football and basketball, don't expect your fantasy dream to happen.  BYU has some of the highest basketball attendance in the Country.   And football attendance is still very good, even with the general decline of attendance in all of college football.  A school with a lot of fans is usually pretty good.

And, the threat USU has right now is not BYU....it's UVU.   UVU is now the largest enrollment school in the State of Utah, and is enjoying much stronger recruiting in basketball than it has ever had before.  Many out-of-state Mormons are choosing UVU, which of course is helping their basketball recruiting.   Of course USU is in a stronger conference than UVU, but it is not easy to recruit to Logan, which is more isolated from the Wasatch Front.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Unless BYU all of a sudden loses all of its fans in football and basketball, don't expect your fantasy dream to happen.  BYU has some of the highest basketball attendance in the Country.   And football attendance is still very good, even with the general decline of attendance in all of college football.  A school with a lot of fans is usually pretty good.

And, the threat USU has right now is not BYU....it's UVU.   UVU is now the largest enrollment school in the State of Utah, and is enjoying much stronger recruiting in basketball than it has ever had before.  Many out-of-state Mormons are choosing UVU, which of course is helping their basketball recruiting.   If Course USU is in a stronger conference than UVU, but it is not easy to recruit to Logan, which is more isolated from the Wasatch Front.

Are you saying UVU could take over BYU as the third best program in the state? 

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Are you saying UVU could take over BYU as the third best program in the state? 

Study this chart.  As every UNLV basketball fan knows, having a large fanbase is significant.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2017.pdf

And ask yourself this.  Why is Weber State's basketball coach turning down the USU job, because Weber State pays him more money?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865696789/Mountain-West-was-too-big-a-leap-for-Aggies-Duryea.html

One coach USU had its eye on was former UCLA coach Ben Howland, who landed the job at Mississippi State. Weber State coach Randy Rahe, an ex-assistant at USU, wasn’t interested. Small wonder. Rahe’s current salary, according to public records, is $391,337, while Duryea’s is listed at $227,516.

Every school has its issues, but recruiting high-level players to USU is daunting. It’s a fine university with a wonderful vibe, both on campus and in the arena. But recruiting against warm-weather UNLV and San Diego State on most years is a chore. New Mexico and Fresno State have strong basketball reputations. Boise State — thanks to its football program — is a bigger national brand.

13 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

There's a special place in hell for MWC founding members who schedule BYU in football.  It matters not what you call them in the present for their fate in the afterlife is sealed and justice will be served!  :pitchforks:

But it seems that fans of of MWC founding members were okay scheduling those they left behind in the WAC. :huh:

10 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

MWC teams would be paying BYU a whole bunch of money for breach of contract.  Plus if BYU sued they might get a whole bunch more for a judgement against all the schools.

This. Isn’t that collusion to hurt BYU? What it could do is button up the schedule so tight there is no room for OOC games in season and even that seems petty. 

24 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Study this chart.  As every UNLV basketball fan knows, having a large fanbase is significant.

And ask yourself this.  Why is Weber State's basketball coach turning down the USU job, because Weber State pays him more money?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865696789/Mountain-West-was-too-big-a-leap-for-Aggies-Duryea.html

One coach USU had its eye on was former UCLA coach Ben Howland, who landed the job at Mississippi State. Weber State coach Randy Rahe, an ex-assistant at USU, wasn’t interested. Small wonder. Rahe’s current salary, according to public records, is $391,337, while Duryea’s is listed at $227,516.

Every school has its issues, but recruiting high-level players to USU is daunting. It’s a fine university with a wonderful vibe, both on campus and in the arena. But recruiting against warm-weather UNLV and San Diego State on most years is a chore. New Mexico and Fresno State have strong basketball reputations. Boise State — thanks to its football program — is a bigger national brand.

Is water wet? That’s as about as no chit as it gets. The same could be said for those programs and BYU too. 

34 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

And, the threat USU has right now is not BYU....it's UVU.   UVU is now the largest enrollment school in the State of Utah, and is enjoying much stronger recruiting in basketball than it has ever had before.  Many out-of-state Mormons are choosing UVU, which of course is helping their basketball recruiting.   Of course USU is in a stronger conference than UVU, but it is not easy to recruit to Logan, which is more isolated from the Wasatch Front.

All one has to do is drive around any neighborhood in Utah for 5 minutes. Every house has a in-ground hoop in its backyard with kick ass netting surrounding it. Hell, many have awesome lightning systems. The only threat to hoops in Utah is pickle ball!

19 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

That story was written by a sports writer that work's for the LDS church which is the owner of the news paper. The story is not correct, it does not add media money to the USU salary which is guaranteed. Also fails to point out that Stew Morrill was paid $750,000. Tim was not wanted as the coach, but was hired by a A.D. that was headed out the door.

The new coach can be paid at least as much as what Stew made. Tim was given a make good salary he did not get it done. Randy Rahe did not want to coach at USU because he knew he was following a legend coach. He would have made more than Tim.

How did USU do with the schools he mentioned UNLV was 0-2 against us, Fresno was 0-2 New Mexico was 2-1 BSU was 1-2 SDS was 1-0. That is the type of reporting you get from the LDS owned newspaper in Utah.

For what it's worth, I seriously doubt that Boise and Utah St. will stop playing BYU.  Also, I am not sure that the MWC can impose a boycott by its members to stop playing any school.  

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg