Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ViAggie

Honest question - what happens to byu FB if we boycott them?

Date

Opponent

Sat., Sept. 1

Arizona Wildcats

Arizona Stadium, Tucson, Arizona

Sat., Sept. 8

California Bears

LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, Utah

Sat., Sept. 15

Wisconsin Badgers

Camp Randall Stadium, Madison Wisconsin

Sat., Sept. 22

McNeese State Cowboys

Sat., Sept. 29

Washington Huskies

Husky Stadium, Seattle, Washington

Fri., Oct. 5

Utah State Aggies

Sat., Oct. 13

Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors

Sat. Oct. 20

BYE WEEK

Sat., Oct. 27

Northern Illinois Huskies

Sat., Nov. 3

Boise State Broncos

Albertsons Stadium, Boise, Idaho

Sat., Nov. 10

UMass Minutemen

Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Massachusetts

Sat., Nov. 17

New Mexico State Aggies

Sat., Nov. 24

Utah Utes

Rice-Eccles Stadium, Salt Lake City, Utah

That's what this year's schedule would look like!  They tend to play 3-4 MW schools per year.  If we all agreed to boycott them, who do they fill those spots with?  Lets be honest, they'd be LUCKY to be playing three more FCS schools, none of which are going to want to play byu late into the season knee deep in a conference.  byu fans act like they don't need the MW, fine.  I guess you can join the ACC, have fun in the new CUSA... and that's if you could get them to add you!  I'm sure none of those schools would be too thrilled flying across the country on a regular basis to play a conference rival. Boise and SDSU sure as hell didn't!  BTW I'm not advocating for their inclusion BACK into the "lowly" MWC, I'm just pointing out that they need us more than WE need them!  

Who cares? BYU is sliding deeper and deeper into irrelevance. The Front Range schools won't schedule them, but I don't see the rest of the MWC boycotting the Borg. 

11 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Who cares? BYU is sliding deeper and deeper into irrelevance. The Front Range schools won't schedule them, but I don't see the rest of the MWC boycotting the Borg. 

Until CSU-San Diego broke ranks recently, only WAC 2.0 schools would schedule YBU in f'ball.

@ViAggie the better question is does Utah state vote yes ( assuming a private vote) to allow them back in the MW?

Utah State is head to head right now with them and gaining every day   Now throw the WCC conference affiliation in the mix and the aggies will have a big recruiting advantage   

3 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Never really thought of UNLV as WAC 2.0.

CORRECT:  What term should I use for old school WAC/charter MWC members?

4 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

I don't really think of UNLV as old school WAC, either.  Looks like they joined the league in 1996 and then left in 1999 as a charter MWC team.

7 minutes ago, Pelado said:

I don't really think of UNLV as old school WAC, either.  Looks like they joined the league in 1996 and then left in 1999 as a charter MWC team.

WAIT....they are WAC 2.0.   Anything after 1992 when CSU-Fresno St joined is WAC 2.0 or higher.

Membership timeline[edit]

36f384ce4bf52361e05057e6e7b60ab4.png

Sadly it would probably look something like this.  Oh the horror of it all.

2019 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

**TENTATIVE**
Date   Opponent Time/TV Tickets
Thursday
Aug. 29
Utes Utah Utes
LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UT
Time TBA
TV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 7
Volunteers at Tennessee Volunteers
Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, TN
Time TBA
TV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 14
Trojans USC Trojans
Time TBA
TV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 21
Huskies Washington Huskies
Time TBA
TV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 28
Rockets at Toledo Rockets
Glass Bowl, Toledo, OH
Time TBA
TV TBA

Saturday
Oct. 5
  TBA or OFF    
Saturday
Oct. 12
Bulls at USF Bulls
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL
Time TBA
TV TBA

Saturday
Oct. 19
Broncos

Boise State Broncos

Houston Cougars

Time TBA
TV TBA

Saturday
Oct. 26

TBA or OFF

Saturday
Nov. 2
Aggies

at Utah State Aggies
Maverik Stadium, Logan, UT

at UCF Knights

Time TBA
TV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 9
Flames Liberty Flames
Time TBA
TV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 16
Bengals Idaho State Bengals
Time TBA
TV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 23
Minutemen at UMass Minutemen
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA
Time TBA
TV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 30
Aztecs

at San Diego State Aztecs
Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, CA

at ECU Pirates

Time TBA
TV TBA

2019 Hawaii Bowl
TBA Poinsettia Bowl AAC Opponent TBA
Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, HI
Time TBA
TV TBA

9 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

WAIT....they are WAC 2.0.   Anything after 1992 when CSU-Fresno St joined is WAC 2.0 or higher.

Membership timeline[edit]

36f384ce4bf52361e05057e6e7b60ab4.png

No, they're not.  They are charter members of the MWC.  IMO WAC 2.0 refers to teams in the WAC after the airport meeting.  I get it, not original WAC either but not 2.0.  CSU was not a charter member of the WAC.

44 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

There's a special place in hell for MWC founding members who schedule BYU in football.  It matters not what you call them in the present for their fate in the afterlife is sealed and justice will be served!  :pitchforks:

8 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

No, they're not.  They are charter members of the MWC.  IMO WAC 2.0 refers to teams in the WAC after the airport meeting.  I get it, not original WAC either but not 2.0.  CSU was not a charter member of the WAC.

Okay....so what term do I use the describe the newer WAC/MWC teams that broke ranks (pre-SDSU) & scheduled YBU?

2 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Okay....so what term do I use the describe the newer WAC/MWC teams that broke ranks (pre-SDSU) & scheduled YBU?

Uhhh, traitors?  :shrug:

2 hours ago, Pelado said:

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

OK, it's all pretty simple, pay attention:

THE SHORT HISTORY OF MWC TOGETHERNESS AND WHO PLAYS BYU

In 1998 BYU, Utah, Air Force, CSU and Wyoming broke from the WAC and are the MWC "FOUNDING MEMBERS".  The first two big moves:

1) Invited New Mexico, UNLV, and San Diego State (the Hoops Axis of Evil) who are ORIGINAL MEMBERS but not really FOUNDING MEMBERS

2) Hired commissioner Craig Thompson, who has now banked well over $11M in salary over 19 years

TCU came and went.  Utah also got called up to the P5.  BYU went rogue so they could be "non G5", which to some means "equal to P5 Utah".

Boise State joined and briefly battled TCU at the top of a very good football conference.  Hawaii joined as a FOOTBALL ONLY MEMBER.

BSU and SDSU tried to go rogue and join the Big East, but in Craig Thompson's second greatest stroke of luck (after being hired to a "high pay for no results" job) was the timely implosion of the Big East, with the AAC splitting off to be the football branch.  Boise St then became a SPECIAL TREATMENT FROM CRAIG MEMBER.

Nevada and Fresno were brought in as REPLACEMENT MEMBERS for departed schools.

Utah St and SJSU then were added as BECAUSE WE NEED 12 TO HAVE A CCG AND REMAIN RELEVANT MEMBERS.

After 2011 shunning BYU was an understandable strategy, as was the policy to not allow members that have football to participate in other sports but not football (because if several more MWC schools had the opportunity to go indy in FB they definitely would and the MWC would crumble).  Over time though, the BYU policy proved to be just another approach of doing nothing rather than innovate.  There were many lost opportunities that resulted from reacting instead of pro-acting... like watching Eastern conferences grab up Creighton and Wichita St then having a similar idea too late.

Eventually the BYU silent treatment was only still of interest to the HARD CORE CRAIG THOMPSON POWER BASE MEMBERS (Wyoming, CSU, and Air Force) who will fall in line and do whatever daddy tells them.  Craig Thompson has a strong network of other newcomers, like his boy Doug Knuth at Nevada, but a lot of the rest of the league (the Hoops Axis of Evil and Boise St) are no longer blindly following.

47 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

OK, it's all pretty simple, pay attention:

THE SHORT HISTORY OF MWC TOGETHERNESS AND WHO PLAYS BYU

In 1998 BYU, Utah, Air Force, CSU and Wyoming broke from the WAC and are the MWC "FOUNDING MEMBERS".  The first two big moves:

1) Invited New Mexico, UNLV, and San Diego State (the Hoops Axis of Evil) who are ORIGINAL MEMBERS but not really FOUNDING MEMBERS

2) Hired commissioner Craig Thompson, who has now banked well over $11M in salary over 19 years

TCU came and went.  Utah also got called up to the P5.  BYU went rogue so they could be "non G5", which to some means "equal to P5 Utah".

Boise State joined and briefly battled TCU at the top of a very good football conference.  Hawaii joined as a FOOTBALL ONLY MEMBER.

BSU and SDSU tried to go rogue and join the Big East, but in Craig Thompson's second greatest stroke of luck (after being hired to a "high pay for no results" job) was the timely implosion of the Big East, with the AAC splitting off to be the football branch.  Boise St then became a SPECIAL TREATMENT FROM CRAIG MEMBER.

Nevada and Fresno were brought in as REPLACEMENT MEMBERS for departed schools.

Utah St and SJSU then were added as BECAUSE WE NEED 12 TO HAVE A CCG AND REMAIN RELEVANT MEMBERS.

After 2011 shunning BYU was an understandable strategy, as was the policy to not allow members that have football to participate in other sports but not football (because if several more MWC schools had the opportunity to go indy in FB they definitely would and the MWC would crumble).  Over time though, the BYU policy proved to be just another approach of doing nothing rather than innovate.  There were many lost opportunities that resulted from reacting instead of pro-acting... like watching Eastern conferences grab up Creighton and Wichita St then having a similar idea too late.

Eventually the BYU silent treatment was only still of interest to the HARD CORE CRAIG THOMPSON POWER BASE MEMBERS (Wyoming, CSU, and Air Force) who will fall in line and do whatever daddy tells them.  Craig Thompson has a strong network of other newcomers, like his boy Doug Knuth at Nevada, but a lot of the rest of the league (the Hoops Axis of Evil and Boise St) are no longer blindly following.

He should pay half of that at least back.  He's a thief in this scenario.

You are confused regarding the Hair power base.  He carries pretty much zero cachet in the Rockies.  It's the west coasters that keep Craig employed.

At this point, I would take them in as a Non Football school if I was the commish. 4-5 game scheduling agreement. At least they bring in a above average hoops program along with a big fan base 

Related image

4 hours ago, TRVIT said:

At this point, I would take them in as a Non Football school if I was the commish. 4-5 game scheduling agreement. At least they bring in a above average hoops program along with a big fan base 

That would be the equivalent of selling your company at a discounted rate, when you are poised for significant growth and the buyer needs you more than you need them.

May not be the best analogy, but the point is, the MW has all the leverage here, BYU is fading, and they will be forced to make a hard choice soon.