Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVBasketball#FireTonySanchez

UNLV can't Recruit and Coach Football

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Hauck was here for 4 seasons, not 2. You need to research your facts man.

He had 2 win seasons in 3 yrs and 1 bowl game in the other. 

I do, but got messed up somehow. That was a dumb mistake on my part, but still Sanchez doesn't deserve to stick around. We still need to recruit and coach better. I'd like to say that in more than half of the games we lost, we lost in the second half, and we were winning in the first. Sanchez must have some terrible second half adjustments or just not doing something right at halftime, since we come out terrible. He isn't the right head coach for us moving forward esp. with a brand new NFL stadium coming to town,  that we have the honor to play in. We should be looking for someone better who can build more hope and trust in UNLV football so we can build up the hype for the stadium otherwise it just will be a bad image.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:52 PM, SharkTanked said:

He had 2 win seasons in each of 3 yrs and 1 bowl game in the other. 

He was butt awful here. And if you think Sanchez is bad at recruiting, take a look at Bobby's classes. We were competing with the likes of Northern Arizona, Montana State and Southern Utah for recruits. 

You come off as an ill informed fan with an axe to grind. That won't go over well in you arguments to the AD.

But still about a decade ago we were getting like one four star a year. We are in a bad situation now, with a coach that shouldn't even be here. Plus the others coaches inquired about being here, we didn't have to go far and they actually were interested, but we showed little if any motivation to actually look into them further. We didn't do our homework. Tell me I didn't do my homework....well TKM was much worse in this she was so swayed by the donors, even though she won't admit it, to hire Sanchez that she wouldn't even look into other candidates once she had her eyes set on a HS coach that the donors wanted. Not to complain about the donors, but they shouldn't be the deciding factor in what coach we should hire, not based upon facts, but just things I have a feeling that occurred. Plus with Coach O among the others they were so much better, having coached in a Power 5 conference, and Coach O actually won. He is known as a great interim coach, but he did a remarkable job turning the season around at LSU last season, and I don't see why he couldn't have done the same here. TKM did a TERRIBLE job, if not one of the worst jobs I have ever seen in hiring a new coach, even the Browns (in the NFL) can do better. Wyoming can also do better, which is very sad, they can get a great FCS coach, not that we haven't in the past, but he can actually coach up his players and they play well. I know they lost to us, but it was an upset win for us in the past. Plus Bohl, as I said, actually knows how to coach a college team and had a TON of D1 training and exp. at Nebraska, Duke and Wisconsin just to name a few. ACC and BIG10 are both Power 5 schools and to have experience like that is crucial especially when you are going to coach in D1, I wouldn't mind having just FCS experience, but Sanchez had no experience in the coaching ranks there. He only had one year as a student assistant, which doesn't really count and the rest is in HS, you can't jump straight from HS to D1, it has been proven time and time again. Look at the history of it. He won't succeed and won't last past five seasons. If he does, then I'd be surprised.

At least with DRF, I know she knows how to find a coach, at VT when they were looking for a new football coach to succeed the great Frank Beamer, they got one in Justin Fuente, and he has worked out wonderfully. So, I trust her to make the right decision, but she already has one misstep (not firing Sanchez by now). Overall, though I trust her and think she is just waiting one more season, so she can analyze him over two seasons to see if she sees any growth in the team at all. Hopefully there will be NONE. Well, in my argument with the AD I would research and actually prepare something.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:52 PM, SharkTanked said:

He had 2 win seasons in each of 3 yrs and 1 bowl game in the other. 

He was butt awful here. And if you think Sanchez is bad at recruiting, take a look at Bobby's classes. We were competing with the likes of Northern Arizona, Montana State and Southern Utah for recruits. 

You come off as an ill informed fan with an axe to grind. That won't go over well in you arguments to the AD.

Actually Hauck coached UNLV for 5 seasons, went 15–49 and had four seasons with only two wins.  The 7 win season in 2013 was keyed by Caleb Herring, Devante Davis, and Tim Cornett carrying the team despite the coaching.

Tony Sanchez is 12-24 after 3 seasons.  The Howard loss is inexcusable but other than that he doubled Hauck's win total for first three years. 

Sanchez has 3 more seasons on his contract (through 2021 season).  This fourth year Sanchez MUST beat NMSU and Prarie View and at least 3 conference games to avoid the heat.  If he can manage 6 wins he will be golden.  If he gets 6 wins and one of them is "Nevada" he might get a contract extension. 

On 3/6/2018 at 12:29 AM, UNLVBasketball#FireTonySanchez said:

UNLV should #firetonysanchez and actually hire a real college head coach. An FCS school just hired a co-offensive coordinator who coached two first round qbs and won a national championship! He also coached a Heisman trophy winning quarterback, while UNLV can't even hire a proven coach!?!?! We need a proven coach who can recruit and actually coach (that is a proven winner) once we do this we can win. Less than a decade ago, we were bringing in four stars, now we are lucky if we get a three star. If we actually knew how to recruit we could get better talent in football and win (make a bowl game) and I bet we could do that with Bret Bielema, who coached in two of the best conferences and won and recruited well. We actually interviewed the current LSU Head Coach Ed Orgeron (when he was the interim coach at USC), but didn't hire him, and instead hired a high school coach instead. We need a proven coach or at least one that has some big time experience, even SMU got a coach before us. They got the former Clemson OC and he brought his team to a bowl game, but we haven't been to one in so long. Any other coach like the one listed above (Bret Bielema, or someone like Chad Morris) would be a great choice!

https://www.change.org/p/desiree-reed-francois-fire-unlv-head-football-coach-tony-sanchez

From what I recall UNLV never reached the interview stage with Orgeron.  They only had a phone conversation to gauge his interest.  Whether UNLV could have gotten him is questionable.  Instead of the $300K head coaching salary at UNLV he got $445K to be defensive line coach at LSU, with more upward mobility in the SEC.

Personally at the time I was hoping they would hire Jim Fassel.

I don't remember the influx of 4* players to UNLV.  Plus a decade has changed recruiting in general - while recruits used to tier their offers as D1 and D2, they now tier them as P5, G5, and FCS... and only a few G5 programs get a lot of serious interest from 4* players.

Guest RoscoesDad
2 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

From what I recall UNLV never reached the interview stage with Orgeron.  They only had a phone conversation to gauge his interest.  Whether UNLV could have gotten him is questionable.  Instead of the $300K head coaching salary at UNLV he got $445K to be defensive line coach at LSU, with more upward mobility in the SEC.

I don't remember the influx of 4* players to UNLV.  Plus a decade has changed recruiting in general - while recruits used to tier their offers as D1 and D2, they now tier them as P5, G5, and FCS... and only a few G5 programs get a lot of serious interest from 4* players.

UNLV never got any type of consistent 4* recruits, this guy doesn't know wtf he's talking about.  JROB and Sanford did pop a few out i.e Jason Thomas, Nate Turner, Aaron Straiten, Rocky Hinds and Frank Summers...but that's really about it.  Oh and Alvin Marshall, forgot about him.  All transfers btw, I am not sure if we ever got a 4* recruit out of HS before Armani....maybe John Ford or Herman Ho-Ching?  They turned out well.

You are right about Orgeron.  Again, this dummy doesn't even have his facts straight.  We never offered him the job nor had a formal interview.  We DID however have Dennis Fran in for a formal interview and he begged for the job, but unfortunately Livengood had his 'boy' Hauck greased in from the start and engaged his butt buddy Ed Graney to proceed with a smear campaign against Coach Fran in order to paint him as some sort of lunatic retard who couldn't be trusted with 'the biggest hire in UNLV Football History' (Graney's words, look them up).  He was the goofball Graney said was going around the interview stating how everything was going to be "Frantastic'. Methinks we got sold a false story by Mr. Graney and Mr. Livengood.   IDGAF how crazy he may have been, Fran had one thing UNLV has never had at head coach  - proven experience turning around sorry D1 programs.  And he wanted to be at UNLV.  Not good enough for Livengoood.  The messiah of every single cell DNA UNLV fan who still complains about TKM being the anti-christ.

17 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

UNLV never got any type of consistent 4* recruits, this guy doesn't know wtf he's talking about.  JROB and Sanford did pop a few out i.e Jason Thomas, Nate Turner, Aaron Straiten, Rocky Hinds and Frank Summers...but that's really about it.  Oh and Alvin Marshall, forgot about him.  All transfers btw, I am not sure if we ever got a 4* recruit out of HS before Armani....maybe John Ford or Herman Ho-Ching?  They turned out well.

You are right about Orgeron.  Again, this dummy doesn't even have his facts straight.  We never offered him the job nor had a formal interview.  We DID however have Dennis Fran in for a formal interview and he begged for the job, but unfortunately Livengood had his 'boy' Hauck greased in from the start and engaged his butt buddy Ed Graney to proceed with a smear campaign against Coach Fran in order to paint him as some sort of lunatic retard who couldn't be trusted with 'the biggest hire in UNLV Football History' (Graney's words, look them up).  He was the goofball Graney said was going around the interview stating how everything was going to be "Frantastic'. Methinks we got sold a false story by Mr. Graney and Mr. Livengood.   IDGAF how crazy he may have been, Fran had one thing UNLV has never had at head coach  - proven experience turning around sorry D1 programs.  And he wanted to be at UNLV.  Not good enough for Livengoood.  The messiah of every single cell DNA UNLV fan who still complains about TKM being the anti-christ.

Come on man, both Livengood and TKM were the anti-Christ.

On 3/11/2018 at 12:09 PM, BleedRebelRed said:

Yes recruiting has changed but still ESPN and every other source still lists the rankings the same. Well now they do, but with Coach O we could've gotten that, because his players love him. Plus if you actually read those articles correctly, Coach O expressed interest, we didn't gauge his interest, he, himself, inquired. We had a phone interview with him as well as Houston Nutt, but sadly they were already sold on Sanchez and couldn't change. Plus he would've come here because he wanted to be a head coach so bad, I remember those times he was mad he wasn't hired at USC and thus he wanted another job so bad to prove that he could be a head coach as he failed at Ole Miss and wanted another chance, because he felt he had earned that with the outstanding job he did as interim HC at USC once Kiffin was dismissed. I'd do more research on his situation if I were you.

To rebut your first statement, who cares that he doubled Hauck's record in his first three years he went 12-24, are you accepting how bad our program is? Because we simply can't afford to waste money on a dumpster fire of a coach (Sanchez). I hope he only gets 4, at least I can say we won a few games, and then hopefully he is gone. I am glad it is only until '21, and I hope he will be gone long before then so we don't waste anymore precious time, when we could be hyping up our program for our new stadium! I am not saying that I am cheering on other teams, or Prairie View, but I think we will lose to Prairie View I could be wrong but Sanchez seems to win games that we should win. I hate to admit it, but the UNR program looks to be one that is on the rise, because I believe Norvell is a good coach and one that is on the rise. If I were them (our athletics department), not being biased, I would hire an assistant from Ohio State because they always seem to be good one they leave, or even 'Bama because they are winning staffs and if we can grab an assistant from there as a head coach that would pay dividends to our program. I am not saying that Tim Beck or Schiano from Ohio State would come......don't doubt that one would come here, because Clemson's former OC went to SMU and won and got a job in the SEC at Arkansas.

On 3/11/2018 at 2:20 PM, RoscoesDad said:

Look at our history, you must not do your research. Do you even know how?

I didn't say we had a formal interview we had a phone interview, look at the articles and facts I have used to back-up my claims. Well, at least you know that part of Dennis Fran would've been nice to have him, but as you know we can never pick the right football coach we have our minds set before a better candidate comes along wanting the job. I wish that we would've gotten him, but this last time I would've liked to have had Coach O! I know we could've gotten him.