Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Victor Maitlin

Any Fans of Real College Hockey Here?

And I don't mean b.s. club teams that have as much to do with NCAA sports as the Quidditch team.  ECAC, Hockey East and the Big Ten are halfway through their tournaments.  The NCHA starts a single elimination tournament later this week.  Six teams (St. Cloud, Notre Dame, Cornell, Ohio State, Denver and Minnesota State) are fighting for the four #1 seeds in the NCAA tournament.  Some bluebloods like Minnesota, Providence, Boston College and North Dakota are on the bubble for the tournament.  The coming weekend might be the best all year for the sport.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

Im a big University of Maine fan. After we lost Coach Walsh to cancer years ago, the program has really slid back since our Nat Championship days and repeat frozen four appearances. 

This season they are showing sings of life and improvement on a shoestring budget. 

Maine is going into the ever tough Hockey East quarterfinals on Friday. 

latestbroncofanslogo.png.20959eb73e46249d924bc7abb968f702.png

3 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Go UAA Seawolves!

I went to UAA and cheered them on when they were mildly pathetic. Now? Good gracious. The level of suck that is UAA hockey is amazing. On the bright side they finally got rid of Coach Thomas, but with the state of finances in Alaska right now and the lack of support for the hockey program from the interim athletic director/office, I can't imagine UAA will have all too many coaches interested in the job. They'll probably end up with another no name, lack of experience coach and the team will continue to plummet until they finally do the right thing and cancel UAA hockey.

I watched UAA hockey during the glory days of Mike Pellouso. Before they were D1, and the Sullivan was rocking for every home game!

I keep hoping they’ll surprise one day and get back some of that past mojo.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 hour ago, LoboMan59 said:

I watched UAA hockey during the glory days of Mike Pellouso. Before they were D1, and the Sullivan was rocking for every home game!

I keep hoping they’ll surprise one day and get back some of that past mojo.

UAA hockey and the great Alaska shootout, I grew up during a great time there. Also the anchorage aces were solid for a long time. How the mighty have fallen

Never understood why UAA got rid of Brush Christianson, still the best hockey coach they ever had!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Minnesota is on the bubble.  They're out of the Big Ten tournament, so they'll probably need some help.  I'm a Big Ten guy, so after a slow start, it's nice to see the new Big Ten HC coming on strong.  Either Notre Dame or Ohio State will be a 1 seed (the other a 2).  Michigan is in as probably a 3, and the pedsters are likely in as a 4.  If Minny can sneak in that'll give the B1G 5 of the 16 teams in the tourney.

SteelCityBlue

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

I loved the old WCHA and to this day hate that the B1G broke that great hockey conference up.  I dearly miss the North Dakota vs Minnesota conference rivalry.  Growing up next door in SD I've rooted for Minnesota ever since I was little because I could watch Gopher games on TV and because so many great athletes from MN have played for team USA in international play.

3 hours ago, Jaredcg said:

UAA hockey and the great Alaska shootout, I grew up during a great time there. Also the anchorage aces were solid for a long time. How the mighty have fallen

And folded. The Aces are no more.

3 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Yeah I knew that. Sports in Alaska have really dropped from the 90s early 2000s unfortunately. At least they still have the Iditarod

For the time being at least.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2017/03/iditarod-alaska-sled-dog-race/

17 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I loved the old WCHA and to this day hate that the B1G broke that great hockey conference up.  I dearly miss the North Dakota vs Minnesota conference rivalry.  Growing up next door in SD I've rooted for Minnesota ever since I was little because I could watch Gopher games on TV and because so many great athletes from MN have played for team USA in international play.

Yeah, I know a lot of Minny hockey fans weren't happy about the BTHC.  I get the sentiment.  Doesn't Minny maintain an annual ooc game with ND though?  I've also heard that if the BTHC extends another affiliate membership, it'll go to UND.  In any event, Minny had to do as they were told.  They'd just built a nice new football stadium on a foundation of money generated by Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin.  It was time to pay back.

SteelCityBlue

Just now, Victor Maitlin said:

Yeah, I know a lot of Minny hockey fans weren't happy about the BTHC.  I get the sentiment.  Doesn't Minny maintain an annual ooc game with ND though?  I've also heard that if the BTHC extends another affiliate membership, it'll go to UND.  In any event, Minny had to do as they were told.  They'd just built a nice new football stadium on a foundation of money generated by Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin.  It was time to pay back.

They took a 2 year hiatus between 2014-16 but have renewed the rivalry.  However, it has lost some steam with fewer annual matchups and not playing for conference titles.  It's still great but just not the same.  I completely understand why the B1G wanted their own conference but I also think so far it hasn't turned out quite as well as they'd have liked.  The conference does need to expand and I'd like to see a couple new programs starting up at places like Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, Maryland or Rutgers.  The addition of Notre Dame was great and adding ND would be a home run for the B1G but a disater for the NCHC.

1 hour ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

They took a 2 year hiatus between 2014-16 but have renewed the rivalry.  However, it has lost some steam with fewer annual matchups and not playing for conference titles.  It's still great but just not the same.  I completely understand why the B1G wanted their own conference but I also think so far it hasn't turned out quite as well as they'd have liked.  The conference does need to expand and I'd like to see a couple new programs starting up at places like Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, Maryland or Rutgers.  The addition of Notre Dame was great and adding ND would be a home run for the B1G but a disater for the NCHC.

Illinois is probably the best shot right now for an existing B10 school.  They're teaming up with the NHL for a feasibility study.  I don't see any other school other than UND getting an affiliate shot.  I'm sure Minny would like to invite in St Cloud or Duluth, but Ohio State and Michigan will absolutely block that because it opens up a whole can of worms vis-a-vis their own in-state little brother schools wanting to get in.

As for the conference, it has been a slow start.  Michigan and Sparty were down, and the pedsters were a brand new program.  Ohio State was being historically mediocre Ohio State.  I think it turned the corner this year.  Michigan is bouncing back under their new coach.  The pedsters are for real, and Ohio State has turned a corner the last two years and looks like it might be a consistent top 10 team if they can hold onto their coaching staff.  Hopefully, their talk of building a 4-6K seat hockey only facility for their men's and women's programs will help in that regard.  Two things the Big Ten schools have that the NCHC schools don't is a national cable network to highlight their games and the ability to pump money into hockey based on football and basketball revenues.

SteelCityBlue

1 hour ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Illinois is probably the best shot right now for an existing B10 school.  They're teaming up with the NHL for a feasibility study.  I don't see any other school other than UND getting an affiliate shot.  I'm sure Minny would like to invite in St Cloud or Duluth, but Ohio State and Michigan will absolutely block that because it opens up a whole can of worms vis-a-vis their own in-state little brother schools wanting to get in.

As for the conference, it has been a slow start.  Michigan and Sparty were down, and the pedsters were a brand new program.  Ohio State was being historically mediocre Ohio State.  I think it turned the corner this year.  Michigan is bouncing back under their new coach.  The pedsters are for real, and Ohio State has turned a corner the last two years and looks like it might be a consistent top 10 team if they can hold onto their coaching staff.  Hopefully, their talk of building a 6K seat hockey only facility for their men's and women's programs will help in that regard.  Two things the Big Ten schools have that the NCHC schools don't is a national cable network to highlight their games and the ability to pump money into hockey based on football and basketball revenues.

Illinois athletic department is a mess.  It operated at a $6.2M loss in 2016, has a whopping $260M debt with both revenues and expenditures ranking in the bottom half of the conference.  I honestly think that fesability study goes absolutely nowhere.  Hockey is 2nd only to football in expense to startup and run and Title IX would require a womens hockey team as well.  Unless there is a huge donor out there I don't see the Illini starting a program.  Illinois is attractive cuz it sits in/near 3 major markets, Chicago, Indy and St. Louis.  St. Louis in recent years becoming a hot bed of US hockey talent.

I'm not so sure MN would want St. Cloud or Duluth in the B1G as they have in recent years become much more competitive both on the ice and on the recruiting trail.  Assuming B1G membership would be a boost to those programs I just don't see MN wanting greater in-state competition.

1 hour ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Illinois athletic department is a mess.  It operated at a $6.2M loss in 2016, has a whopping $260M debt with both revenues and expenditures ranking in the bottom half of the conference.  I honestly think that fesability study goes absolutely nowhere.  Hockey is 2nd only to football in expense to startup and run and Title IX would require a womens hockey team as well.  Unless there is a huge donor out there I don't see the Illini starting a program.  Illinois is attractive cuz it sits in/near 3 major markets, Chicago, Indy and St. Louis.  St. Louis in recent years becoming a hot bed of US hockey talent.

I'm not so sure MN would want St. Cloud or Duluth in the B1G as they have in recent years become much more competitive both on the ice and on the recruiting trail.  Assuming B1G membership would be a boost to those programs I just don't see MN wanting greater in-state competition.

I know there was some hope for Purdue, but I believe they ended up nixing building a facility that could be used for D1 hockey.  It seems like Nebraska won't consider it due to the program at UN-Omaha.  Rutgers or Maryland are intriguing choices, but both schools need several more years of B1G money to stabilize their ADs.  

As far as Illinois goes, while the state is screwing them, they're not a poor school.  Not the richest in the B1G, but in the top half with a 3.4B endowment.  I'm sure they could raise funds if they made the effort.  As for their current deficits, those should be wiped out when the B1G's new media deal takes effect.

SteelCityBlue