Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

bracket is set up GREAT to get two teams to NCAAT!

Nevada basically gets the toughest possible game in each round.

quarterfinals will likely be a road game since UNLV is hosting the tourney. YES I fully expect Nevada to win that game but it is still the toughest possible quarterfinals game. 

semifinals vs either SDSU or Fresno. Again out of the 4 possible teams that could have been in the 4/5 game (Wyoming, New Mexico, Fresno, SDSU) my guess is these are the two toughest opponents. At the very least SDSU is playing the best of those 4 school right now. You could make an case that New Mexico or WY might be tougher than Fresno (since Fresno lost there PG they have taken a step back) but it is close. 

Finals, if Nevada makes it, will be vs a team that is one win from a NCAAT bid. Nevada will already be a lock at that point so motivation wise the opponent will have a huge leg up. Plus Nevada with it's short bench could be running out of gas by Saturday.   

In short I feel pretty good about getting two teams into the NCAAT.

My guess is Nevada gets a 10 seed and the other team (SDSU? BSU?) gets a 13 seed. 

6 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

My guess is Nevada gets a 10 seed and the other team (SDSU? BSU?) gets a 13 seed. 

Nevada a #10 seed? They are a top 25 team with a strong resume. #7 seed is a worst case scenario right now. 

1 minute ago, SixPack said:

Nevada a #10 seed? They are a top 25 team with a strong resume. #7 seed is a worst case scenario right now. 

I think if we lose in the tournament then 8/9 is quite possible. Not 10 though.

This is motivation enough for us to win, we don't want to be in the 8/9 game.

19 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Nevada basically gets the toughest possible game in each round.

quarterfinals will likely be a road game since UNLV is hosting the tourney. YES I fully expect Nevada to win that game but it is still the toughest possible quarterfinals game. 

semifinals vs either SDSU or Fresno. Again out of the 4 possible teams that could have been in the 4/5 game (Wyoming, New Mexico, Fresno, SDSU) my guess is these are the two toughest opponents. At the very least SDSU is playing the best of those 4 school right now. You could make an case that New Mexico or WY might be tougher than Fresno (since Fresno lost there PG they have taken a step back) but it is close. 

Finals, if Nevada makes it, will be vs a team that is one win from a NCAAT bid. Nevada will already be a lock at that point so motivation wise the opponent will have a huge leg up. Plus Nevada with it's short bench could be running out of gas by Saturday.   

In short I feel pretty good about getting two teams into the NCAAT.

If you believe Reno is banking on the selection committee you are foolish.  Reno will play for a bid and play hard.  There is a ton of history that shows they better play for the auto.  Muss is a good coach and his guys will play hard. 1 bid this year.  My guess. 

Just now, slappy said:

If you believe Reno is banking on the selection committee you are foolish.  Reno will play for a bid and play hard.  There is a ton of history that shows they better play for the auto.  Muss is a good coach and his guys will play hard. 1 bid this year.  My guess. 

Come on even if Nevada loses in the first round to UNLV they are a 99.9999999% lock for the NCAAT. If they win at least 1 games it is a 100% lock. Yes they are gonna be motivated to win but they DO have that NCAAT bid already locked up. 

Just now, thedude15 said:

Come on even if Nevada loses in the first round to UNLV they are a 99.9999999% lock for the NCAAT. If they win at least 1 games it is a 100% lock. Yes they are gonna be motivated to win but they DO have that NCAAT bid already locked up. 

I would be willing to bet those kids have little to no idea about this process and they have coaches that are telling them they better win.  Wouldn't you as a coach?

13 minutes ago, SixPack said:

I'd say somewhere in the middle of that is the most accurate. I think 10 seed is our likely floor, but I'd say a tourney loss puts us in the 8/9 game. Finals loss I'd say solid chance we're 7 seed. 6 seed still a possibility but I think all chance of a 5 seed was lost by losing yesterday.

8k3esKz.png

7 minutes ago, slappy said:

Nonsense. Nevada is in regardless of who wins the tournament.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 minute ago, slappy said:

I would be willing to bet those kids have little to no idea about this process and they have coaches that are telling them they better win.  Wouldn't you as a coach?

I would bet the opposite. You really think college kids are not looking at ESPN or paying attention to bracket projections. I am 100% they are. Sure in interviews they will say the PC thing (ie exactly what the coach tells them to say) but they are ALL well aware of the standings and projections. 

I DO agree they coaches are preaching the fact they have to win the tourney to get the bid (ie don't leave anything to chance). 

9 minutes ago, slappy said:

Lulz

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

11 minutes ago, slappy said:

So your guess is Nevada wins the MWT. Fair enough, they are the favorites. But if they do drop a game we are getting 2 bids. 

54 minutes ago, slappy said:

Unless Musselman has taken away their cell phones, tablets and access to TV and banned them from speaking with their friends and relatives, I would bet against you.

Boom goes the dynamite.

You already know my feeling, Nevada isn't a lock until they win the tournament.

However did see something last night online after the loss to SDSU that Nevada will probably in the 7-10 range for the tournament which isn't quite the draw if you want to make some noise in the tournament.

2 hours ago, Chrysis said:

I'd say somewhere in the middle of that is the most accurate. I think 10 seed is our likely floor, but I'd say a tourney loss puts us in the 8/9 game. Finals loss I'd say solid chance we're 7 seed. 6 seed still a possibility but I think all chance of a 5 seed was lost by losing yesterday.

I’d rather have the 10 seed than the 8/9

Take it from a guy whose team had gone to the NCAAs six consecutive seasons until 2015 that much more important than the seed you get is your opponent and your location.

While those aren't mutually exclusive, SDSU got reamed by the committee in both 2010 and 2012. In 2010, we got sent to Providence R.I., 2600 miles away, to play Tennessee, which entered the tournament 23-7 including 10-4 in the SEC. In 2012, we REALLY got porked as a #6 seed getting sent to Columbus, OH to face NC State. Raleigh, NC is only 366 air miles, or a one-hour flight, or a 6-hour drive, from Columbus, so the place was stocked with Wolfpack fans. Although NC State was given just an 11 seed and had finished just 9-7 in the ACC, they came into the game ranked #20. The fact NC State was given a ridiculously low seed by the committee was confirmed by the fact they went on to upset Georgetown and then lost in the Sweet 16 by just 3 points to Kansas, which went on to the tournament final and damn near won it.

Folks here wonder why I hate the MWC but among the reasons is the total lack of respect the committee gives to our NCAA tournament participants.

So I'll ask once again. How the hell does Craig Thompson still have a job?

Boom goes the dynamite.

All I can think is Hair has pictures. Because he' been a royal eff up since day one!

down in a hole.jpg

I think The Pack are easily in but be careful assuming you'll get a great seed because you won a meh league. In 2014 UNM was ranked 17th in the AP poll, had 2 wins over #13 SDSU, and won the tournament. Most people thought we'd earn a 5 seed. We ended up earning a 7 and IIRC we were the the last 7. Losing the title game to SDSU could have easily meant an 8/9 game for a top 25 school