Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

OT - Boise fastest growing city in the country

12 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Sorry man, hang in there.

That's the way most around here feel... I'm not one of them, though. I'm an Idaho city kid (I know, doesn't make sense). I love the way access to the outdoors, but I also like city life. If you live downtown, there is no traffic to deal with, I own my house so I'm not getting priced out of the market, and I absolutely love seeing all the new restaurants and bars going in. It's still a super clean city and crime remains very low. Keep those last two things and I'm all for it. 

Vegas metro area is 6th. 

Wyoming-Grand Rapids is also further down the list. 

Unfortunately, there are some conspicuous absences among our MWC brethren.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

14 hours ago, WilliamHicks said:

We don't have any traffic. Some people think we have traffic but anyone from LA, Seattle or Portland knows that we don't have traffic. 

Phoenix has better traffic than us due to horrible city planning and all the sheep that go to suburbville meridian

15 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

Gotta admit, the famous Idaho potato bowl was the first time I’ve ever been in Boise. Definitely could see myself living there. I’d always rock the WYO for any of our games though.

AND that was my nice compliment for the month.

Boise isn’t a state.

There actually is quite a few Wyoming grads in Boise. We get a lot of the area college town graduates. A bunch of Wazzu, Idaho, Montana, Montana State, and Wyoming types roaming around. 

35 minutes ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Phoenix has better traffic than us due to horrible city planning and all the sheep that go to suburbville meridian

Surely you can't be serious.  I lived in Phoenix for 3 years - nothing in Boise remotely compares to sitting on I-60 between 3-6 pm everyday.  

I do agree that road planning seems to be an after thought, especially in Meridian where the subdivisions get built first and the roads expanded 5 years later, but even Eagle Road at 5 pm on a Friday is nothing compared to traffic in any major city (or a crappy one like Sacramento).

19 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

There actually is quite a few Wyoming grads in Boise. We get a lot of the area college town graduates. A bunch of Wazzu, Idaho, Montana, Montana State, and Wyoming types roaming around. 

Yeah I saw the satellite campus/classrooms for the University of Idaho in Boise. What’s that all about??

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

15 hours ago, WilliamHicks said:

We don't have any traffic. Some people think we have traffic but anyone from LA, Seattle or Portland knows that we don't have traffic. 

Yeah, I always get a laugh out of Facebook posts from family and friends back in Boise complaining about traffic. Moaning about a 30 to 40 minute drive commute home from work. I usually reply with an invite for them to experience Route 128 in Boston. I lived 20 miles from work and on a good day it would take an hour ... on a bad day about 2.5 hours.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

29 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

Yeah I saw the satellite campus/classrooms for the University of Idaho in Boise. What’s that all about??

That was "University Place". Idaho enrollment had been falling for years and that was their way to try and establish a Boise pressence before Boise State could fill certain research needs. It ended up being a massive flop and 1/3 the size of the original plan. Turns out they lied to the Idaho State Board about where the funds were coming from and weren't able to meet their financial obligation.

That is actually a pretty cool research facility over there, though. They are the ones that are bringing the technology for the river surf waves in town. They have one wave shaper now and just broke ground on four new features. They are also working with the surf community on another project that would put a wave where you pull out for the Boise River float. When it's finished, Boise will be the premier river surfing city in the world.

7 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Yeah, I always get a laugh out of Facebook posts from family and friends back in Boise complaining about traffic. Moaning about a 30 to 40 minute drive commute home from work. I usually reply with an invite for them to experience Route 128 in Boston. I lived 20 miles from work and on a good day it would take an hour ... on a bad day about 2.5 hours.

If you live in Boise, there is no traffic. If you live outside there is some.

Just now, kingpotato said:

If you live in Boise, there is no traffic. If you live outside there is some.

The only time you have horrible traffic in Boise is if there is a multi vehicle accident that shuts down I-84.  

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

16 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Ive been to Boise 3 or 4 times for work related items.

it is a nice city.

If I was going to be a bitch I'd say you cant drive to another big city very fast, or within  4 hours.

It's pretty isolated. SLC would be the closest and that's 4 1/2 hours away. There are benefits to it, though. Boise can't rely on any town for anything else, so they have to provide everything. It was crazy when I had to get a cab in Fort Collins and the hotel told me it would be an hour because they dispatched out of Denver. What a load of crap. Boise has to provide everything, or else you just don't get it.

8 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

The only time you have horrible traffic in Boise is if there is a multi vehicle accident that shuts down I-84.  

To be fair, I hate traffic. If I have to go the wrong direction at the wrong time of day, I'll be dropping multiple ef bombs to the person not sitting in my passenger seat.

15 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I'm thinking of heading up later this month or April to take a look for the first time. If I can get a job lined up, might be time to move if I like it.

You will love Boise!!  Trust me I grew up in Laramie (born in Casper) and moved to Boise after graduating UW.  The weather is amazing!!  It took me three months to stand up straight!!  When it's windy here, it would be a beautiful breeze in Wyoming.  The green belt, floating through Boise on the Boise river, skiing, golfing, etc.  You can ski Bogus in the morning and golf in the afternoon.  Not to mention, any outdoor activity is less than 30 minutes away.  So much to love!!

down in a hole.jpg

1 hour ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Boise has a great downtown.  It is cool living in an area where you can enjoy urban amenities and also be minutes away from the mountains and outdoor recreation. 

There are some really cool/unique things about Boise. This time of year is one of the only places where you can get a full day of skiing in while also playing a full round of golf.

15 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

Wind doesn’t bother me, and I prefer cooler climates. I cannot stand humid heat. I’ve spent way too much time in the south. Far more than I care for.

I like that Boise is a booming metropolis with a lot of opportunity. That and there are still outdoor opportunities to be had. 

Wind here is a breeze in Wyoming.  Boise gets into the 100's but it is a dry heat.  The outdoor opportunities in the area are much closer than anything to Laramie.  The only downside, is the influx of people are mostly from Kalifornia and they are screwing up this beautiful state!!  

down in a hole.jpg

17 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Cool, and your basketball team still sucks.  ☺

And so does your football team!!! 

down in a hole.jpg