Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Schools safer than they were in the 90's, among the safest place for kids.

http://news.northeastern.edu/2018/02/schools-are-still-one-of-the-safest-places-for-children-researcher-says/

Really good read, not political.

I liked this part at the end as well 

In addition to being ineffective, Fox said increased security measures of these kinds can do more harm than good. He called the suggestion to arm teachers “absurd” and “over the top.”“I’m not a big fan of making schools look like fortresses, because they send a message to kids that the bad guy is coming for you—if we’re surrounding you with security, you must have a bull’s-eye on your back,” Fox said. “That can actually instill fear, not relieve it.”

26 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Interesting article. My own experience with the media since Columbine led me to believe they were increasing. But that's not the case via the statistics. Be interesting to read their methodology.

The first thing that struck me about the article was the sourcing.  Northeastern is a very well respected university and this was not an article written with a political slant.

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The first thing that struck me about the article was the source.  Northeastern is a very well respected university and this was not an article written with a political slant.

Yeah. They had an eclectic group of sources in there too. Should be fairly balanced statistical bias wise.

School rampage shootings are the only thing that disproportionately affects suburban white people. White suburbs are where the media and political elite come from, and is where their kids go to school, so that's what they are scared of.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

18 minutes ago, happycamper said:

School rampage shootings are the only thing that disproportionately affects suburban white people. White suburbs are where the media and political elite come from, and is where their kids go to school, so that's what they are scared of.

This is a very valid point. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

11 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Fear sells.  "Our kids are being gunned down" is the new "Muslims are scary".  

Whatever happened to illegals are raping and killing Americans at a record rate?  I loved that one.

Posted Image

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

White privilege

8 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

White privilege

To worry about mass shootings instead of the  what, 50 times more common drug or gang related homicide?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

ok, so the issue about legally selling assault weapons to 18 year old mentally ill people should "go away"?

And we need bump stocks.

No, just that you are being lied to about this being an epidemic.  You are buying fear and drinking it by the pitcher.  Your thoughts are not based in the reality of the situation.

Ban bump stocks and raise the age limit.  It will not make a difference or even a tiny dent in gun violence but will raise the morale of the country so it is worth it.

1 hour ago, Lester_in_reno said:

ok, so the issue about legally selling assault weapons to 18 year old mentally ill people should "go away"?

And we need bump stocks.

Then you will want to ban something else and on and on until you get everything banned.

Mental emotional cripples like you need to calm the fuck down and take your Valium.

20 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

http://news.northeastern.edu/2018/02/schools-are-still-one-of-the-safest-places-for-children-researcher-says/

Really good read, not political.

I liked this part at the end as well 

In addition to being ineffective, Fox said increased security measures of these kinds can do more harm than good. He called the suggestion to arm teachers “absurd” and “over the top.”“I’m not a big fan of making schools look like fortresses, because they send a message to kids that the bad guy is coming for you—if we’re surrounding you with security, you must have a bull’s-eye on your back,” Fox said. “That can actually instill fear, not relieve it.”

For me, articles like this lose their validity when compared to the original study when they add quotes that aren't supported by the study. This is a retrospective analysis and there isn't anything in the study design where they can claim that increased security measures can do more harm than good or that extra security can instill fear or not relieve it. This is like Climate Change reporting claiming that 97 percent of climate scientists believe in man made global warming when the original article doesn't claim anything of the sort or that the oceans might rise 3 feet if we don't stop fracking. The premise of the article is fine about school safety compared to other activities but injecting unsubstantiated opinion introduces bias from the reporter and author of the study.

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

To worry about mass shootings instead of the  what, 50 times more common drug or gang related homicide?

Haven't you realized no one cares about those? Those are poor brown people being killed. CNN isn't doing a town hall on that. 

300 people a year are killed by rifles and 5500 are killed by handguns but that AR-15 is the problem. Policy suggestions now are being based on emotion and not reality. 

56 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

300 people a year are killed by rifles and 5500 are killed by handguns but that AR-15 is the problem.

Alcohol kills 482 Americans every 48 hours but none of these lefties seem to want to ban it. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

For me, articles like this lose their validity when compared to the original study when they add quotes that aren't supported by the study. This is a retrospective analysis and there isn't anything in the study design where they can claim that increased security measures can do more harm than good or that extra security can instill fear or not relieve it. This is like Climate Change reporting claiming that 97 percent of climate scientists believe in man made global warming when the original article doesn't claim anything of the sort or that the oceans might rise 3 feet if we don't stop fracking. The premise of the article is fine about school safety compared to other activities but injecting unsubstantiated opinion introduces bias from the reporter and author of the study.

It is called social science, you inject some statistics that mean nothing and produce any opinion you desire in your snowflake little heart.