Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

Sean Miller and DeAndre Ayton implicated in FBI wiretap

10 minutes ago, renoskier said:

It's because there's enough doubt about the veracity of the Yahoo/ESPN story that they aren't going to make things worse by prematurely trashing their coach's reputation.

Pretty much the same reason they're letting Ayton continue playing.

Don't get me wrong, it would be cool if all of this was true and some big name programs get burned but I just think you're getting ahead of yourself.

I don't trust a major university to be masters of deep and comprehensive investigations.

1 minute ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Misinformation to discredit leaks is pretty common in big cases like this. We see it in the news all the time.

did Mark Schlobach actually listen to the recordings or is he taking the word of someone else?  I cant imagine ESPN would take that risk, but who knows maybe they layed off one too many source checker :shrug:

Just now, Del Scorcho said:

did Mark Schlobach actually listen to the recordings or is he taking the word of someone else?  I cant imagine ESPN would take that risk, but who knows maybe they layed off one too many source checker :shrug:

I can't imagine ESPN reporting a story of this nature without seeing the transcripts. One side is putting out misinformation. The question is...which side?

I can't imagine ESPN reporting a story of this nature without seeing the transcripts. One side is putting out misinformation. The question is...which side?

the way Sean Millers statement was crafted today, makes me side with ESPN, but they have been wrong before

10 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

the way Sean Millers statement was crafted today, makes me side with ESPN, but they have been wrong before

True, but ESPN believing the word of a source over the telephone and running with the story is a huge dereliction of basic journalism. I don't think ESPN would run the risk of publishing a fake news story.

8 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

The NCAA hit parade continues. Trier has been cleared to play despite testing positive for PEDs...again.

i see sean miller throwing a massive F*** you, 'yeah, i didn't do it, so i'm going to coach, Ayton,'s going to play, Trier is going to play.'  might as well go out in a blaze of glory, lol. and the ncaa (and U of A, for that matter) is too afraid to do anything at this point..

On 3/2/2018 at 3:17 AM, 4UNLV said:

i see sean miller throwing a massive F*** you, 'yeah, i didn't do it, so i'm going to coach, Ayton,'s going to play, Trier is going to play.'  might as well go out in a blaze of glory, lol. and the ncaa (and U of A, for that matter) is too afraid to do anything at this point..

Arizona is basically saying prove we did anything wrong to the NCAA.  Good for them.  I really dislike the NCAA for many reason, but perhaps the biggest is much like our justice system they go after those with less resources when it comes to punishment.  North Carolina gave students a pass, literally, for years and nothing happened.  Yet if a G5 school had done the same, they would have made an example of them.  

Glad to see so many NBA players speak out against NCAA and it looks like the one and done rule might be going away.  Good.  Why anyone thought making an athlete go to school for a year is beyond me.  If you are ready, you are ready.  If a GM want to pay you $20M a year out of high school, more power to you.  

On 3/1/2018 at 1:37 PM, Del Scorcho said:

There were no quotes in the article so I think he was getting it second or third-hand. I think ESPN screwed the pooch here.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 3/1/2018 at 5:19 PM, Rebels2k3 said:

The NCAA hit parade continues. Trier has been cleared to play despite testing positive for PEDs...again.

He had trace amounts in his blood when it was tested of something he had tested for the previous year which they traced back to some supplement ingrediants. Once those levels were gone, he was going to be cleared to play by the NCAA just like they did last time. 

This was announced when Trier was suspended, once it was out of his system they would allow him to play again. Nothing suspicious here, just NCAA doing what they said they were going to do.

4 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

He had trace amounts in his blood when it was tested of something he had tested for the previous year which they traced back to some supplement ingrediants. Once those levels were gone, he was going to be cleared to play by the NCAA just like they did last time. 

This was announced when Trier was suspended, once it was out of his system they would allow him to play again. Nothing suspicious here, just NCAA doing what they said they were going to do.

If the IOC took that route, the Russians wouldn't have to worry about being banned for doping...

53 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Arizona is basically saying prove we did anything wrong to the NCAA.  Good for them.  I really dislike the NCAA for many reason, but perhaps the biggest is much like our justice system they go after those with less resources when it comes to punishment.  North Carolina gave students a pass, literally, for years and nothing happened.  Yet if a G5 school had done the same, they would have made an example of them.  

Glad to see so many NBA players speak out against NCAA and it looks like the one and done rule might be going away.  Good.  Why anyone thought making an athlete go to school for a year is beyond me.  If you are ready, you are ready.  If a GM want to pay you $20M a year out of high school, more power to you.  

The NCAA isn't investigating anything. They said they were leaving it up to Arizona because until the FBI is done with their stuff, NCAA isn't and has been asked not to investigate anything. 

The one and done deal is actually NBA's rule not the NCAA. NBA's requirement is to be 19 and one year removed from high school. That isn't an NCAA rule that is one NBA passed that is where the one and done came from with regards to the NCAA. However when Silver did take over as commish he was talking about raising the age limit up to 20.

If the IOC took that route, the Russians wouldn't have to worry about being banned for doping...

But in some ways isn't IOC and NCAA really on the same level? If it is in the best interests of all just look the other way?

9 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

The NCAA isn't investigating anything. They said they were leaving it up to Arizona because until the FBI is done with their stuff, NCAA isn't and has been asked not to investigate anything. 

The one and done deal is actually NBA's rule not the NCAA. NBA's requirement is to be 19 and one year removed from high school. That isn't an NCAA rule that is one NBA passed that is where the one and done came from with regards to the NCAA. However when Silver did take over as commish he was talking about raising the age limit up to 20.

That's what i meant.  They are essentially saying we didn't do anything wrong.  If the NCAA wants to investigate on their end, they can.  Maybe ESPN really screwed up on their reporting.  Who knows.  Time will tell what comes out "officially".

1 minute ago, alum93 said:

That's what i meant.  They are essentially saying we didn't do anything wrong.  If the NCAA wants to investigate on their end, they can.  Maybe ESPN really screwed up on their reporting.  Who knows.  Time will tell what comes out "officially".

ESPN has been known to jump the gun on much of their reporting.