Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Not only did the school resource officer not engage the shooter

Just now, mugtang said:

Or maybe we need those good guys with a gun to do their damn jobs. 

That’d be good, too. But the world is filled  with cowards. Often, they are not revealed until a situation like this.

3 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

So maybe we should pass more laws the tapeworms can't enforce and hire more resource officers.

I understand your sarcasm but I honestly don't think putting guns in the hands of teachers that want them (I can't imagine many will - maybe some of the coaches) is a good idea either.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

3 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I understand your sarcasm but I honestly don't think putting guns in the hands of teachers that want them (I can't imagine many will - maybe some of the coaches) is a good idea either.

Really, why not?  You already have armed resource officers.  What's the difference?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I bet up until this very moment he was thought of as a good guy.

From today's paper down there:

Peterson started with the Broward Sheriff’s Office in July 1985 and has been the school resource officer at Stoneman Douglas since 2009. His personnel record is filled with commendations: Four years ago, he was named school resource officer of the year. A year ago, a supervisor nominated him for Parkland deputy of the year.

1 minute ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The positive

Well it is well known that when challenged at all a school shooter and most mass shooters usually stop and often commit suicide.

The negative

Saying that, I think that having guns around kids especially teenagers even if kept in a locked box with a trained teacher.  Might still kill more students and teachers than mass shooters for the very fact that accidents happen and mass shooters are very very rare events.   If you were giving each teacher a car or a crosscut saw instead of a gun you are going to have accidents.

So I tend to agree with you.

Peterson started with the Broward Sheriff’s Office in July 1985 and has been the school resource officer at Stoneman Douglas since 2009. His personnel record is filled with commendations: Four years ago, he was named school resource officer of the year. A year ago, a supervisor nominated him for Parkland deputy of the year.

Exactly. 

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

Really, why not?  You already have armed resource officers.  What's the difference?

The officers are trained (although still didn't intervene in the Deputies' case). Teachers won't be. I believe very few teachers will want it.

7 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I have a partner that thinks he should be paid handsomely today for what he did 10yrs ago.  My partner did kick ass 10yrs ago and the pay and accolades he got then was well deserved.  He's been coasting this year and hasn't been a very good partner.

9 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The officers are trained (although still didn't intervene in the Deputies' case). Teachers won't be. I believe very few teachers will want it.

Why wouldn't we train those teachers?  We'd have to require training and all we would need were a few teachers, right?  Even if the "few" didn't get us to the number we'd prefer, having another half dozen would have significant impact in my opinion.

Officers are trained for 8 hours a year in most states to carry a gun in most states.   So if that level of training is your standard it is pretty low.   In fact in Nevada a citizen to get a carry permit is required 12 hours per year.

If I decided a teacher with a gun was the answer this would be my program.  I would put gun safes in every classroom.   I would arm teachers with guns who were willing to go through specific training and pass it.   I would not publicize how many teachers were armed and the school policy would be that every teacher would answer no comment when asked if they carried a gun in school. 

Signs would prominently declare that teachers in this school are trained and armed to respond to a mass shooter.

Then I would hope there would be no accidents with the guns and I would hope the signage would do the work and the shooter would go to a different school or attack a different gun free zone.   Since I think the signage and knowledge would be more important than any actual response although you never know, teachers have been very successful stopping shooters.

I really think we need to address the 3 main problems first.

1) mental health care.   Which if properly done would be a positive force in millions of american lives.

2)  The media glorification of these events which I think is the main driver of their continued occurrence.

3)  Some method of getting tapeworms to do their job effectively with enforcing the laws we have currently on the books.

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Especially as (someone from LE correct if I'm wrong) I believe the current tactics call for immediate direct action to confront and neutralize the shooter as quick as possible.

That is old policy. Can't speak for everyone, but majority of departments have updated active shooter training and policies.

Direct to threat. Even solo.

45 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

It's tough to call him a coward because I don't know how I would've responded in a situation like that, but man... that's your job.

Exactly, but he did sign up for that. He should have went in and he shouldn't have even hesitated.

Seems to be like he was in a different part of his life. Maybe a foot out the door. Usually the combination of being mentally prepared and adequate training is enough to get you in there.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

15 minutes ago, pokebball said:

So, he's a good guy?  I'm not following you.

I’m saying up until the moment the deputy decided to not enter the school, he would’ve been considered a good guy with a gun