Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Portland Timbers Stadium Expansion (implications for Portland St)

Guest #1Stunner

The Portland State Vikings are a Big Sky team, that shares a stadium with the Portland Timbers MLS team.   The Soccer team is apparently very popular.

Anyway, the Timbers are expanding the Stadium to a seating capacity of 25,000.   It will give a pretty nice stadium to the Portland St. Vikings.

I wonder if Portland St. might be interested in moving up to the MWC?   Here are some facts about the school:

OREGON - Population:  4.14 Million People   (Portland Metro Area: 2.3M)

(other western States:  Utah: 3.1M, Nevada 2.9M, Idaho 1.7M, New Mexico 2M, Washington 7.4M)

College Football Teams in the State:

University of Oregon: Eugene, OR  (112 miles from Portland)

Oregon State University: Corvallis, OR (85 miles from Portland)

NO current G5 schools in the State.

The new, expanded stadium (will seat 25,000)

171117_PPSE_TIMBERS-ARMY.small.jpg

providence_park_dz_img_02.jpg

Currently:

00003488820867.jpg

Basketball Arena currently under construction (seats 

PSU-STOTT%20Arena_LS_1.jpg

Guest #1Stunner

Not sure if the MWC would want 2 Pacific Northwest teams, but it is seems like the State of Oregon (and probably Washington) could support more than only 2 major college football teams.  Especially since Portland St is 100 miles away from oregon and oregon st.

Guest #1Stunner
25 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

Portland State drew 4,100 for football last season. The MWC does not need any more school, but if we were to add a BSC school there are much better options, of course that will not happen so I do not know why I bothered to post, silly me.

The SDSU fans have been very clear that they will not stand for a Facebook TV contract that doesn't pay out any money (Hair Thompson's idea).  They are threatening to join the AAC or go Indy in football if this happens.  

Now, the MWC TV contract negotiation period is rapidly approaching.  It will be interesting to see what Hair comes up with, and if SDSU follows up on their threat...  Most agree that SDSU is the most appealing school in the MWC now.

If they do leave, the MWC is going to need to consider replacements.  Like USU and San Jose once filled a vacancy, Portland State might be a good replacement candidate.

The TV deal will be very interesting to watch.  The MWC, BYU and AAC are all looking at new TV deals...

Guest #1Stunner
8 minutes ago, RamSack said:

The population of Portland is 640k.  All of Wyoming is 585k.  

It's called a Metro Area.  Salt Lake City (not the metro area) has a population of 193,000.

Obviously the immediate metro area is much larger.

The football stadium looks like the Taj mahal compared to Shartan Stadium.

And the basketball facility isn't much different.  I'm sure PSU basketball draws more than the random 17 people that show up for Sharta hoop games.

58 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The Portland State Vikings are a Big Sky team, that shares a stadium with the Portland Timbers MLS team.   The Soccer team is apparently very popular.

Anyway, the Timbers are expanding the Stadium to a seating capacity of 25,000.   It will give a pretty nice stadium to the Portland St. Vikings.

I wonder if Portland St. might be interested in moving up to the MWC?   Here are some facts about the school:

OREGON - Population:  4.14 Million People   (Portland Metro Area: 2.3M)

(other western States:  Utah: 3.1M, Nevada 2.9M, Idaho 1.7M, New Mexico 2M, Washington 7.4M)

College Football Teams in the State:

University of Oregon: Eugene, OR  (112 miles from Portland)

Oregon State University: Corvallis, OR (85 miles from Portland)

NO current G5 schools in the State.

The new, expanded stadium (will seat 25,000)

171117_PPSE_TIMBERS-ARMY.small.jpg

providence_park_dz_img_02.jpg

Currently:

00003488820867.jpg

Basketball Arena currently under construction (seats 

PSU-STOTT%20Arena_LS_1.jpg

Providence park is an amazing venue. I recommend any sports fan to attend a timbers sounders game. Oregon and oregon state will never allow Portland State to grow to its potential. I would love to see Portland state in the mountain west if they were aloud to grow. Unfortunately Portland state gets kicked out of providence park from time to time and plays a couple games a year in a high school stadium 

https://youtu.be/SFBUNbJLHro

can a mod help me with the YouTube link

1 minute ago, JohnAdams said:

Providence park is an amazing venue. I recommend any sports fan to attend a timbers sounders game. Oregon and oregon state will never allow Portland State to grow to its potential. I would love to see Portland state in the mountain west if they were aloud to grow. Unfortunately Portland state gets kicked out of providence park from time to time and plays a couple games a year in a high school stadium 

Providence Park is really cool. But Portland State is a commuter school with no fan base. It has nothing to do with Oregon and Oregon State.

13 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

It's called a Metro Area.  Salt Lake City (not the metro area) has a population of 193,000.

Obviously the immediate metro area is much larger.

I think you misunderstood my post which was a dig at Wyoming, not your OT.  

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, RamSack said:

I think you misunderstood my post which was a dig at Wyoming, not your OT.  

OK.  But a Wyoming fan showed me kindness the other day.  Plus no Wyoming fan has swore at me in over 2 weeks already...

1 hour ago, RamSack said:

They can have CSU's spot after we join the Big 12.

With all the success you’ve had in basketball and football recently, it’s a mystery the Big12 isn’t begging CSU to join.

On the other hand, it was pretty cool to see an honorable mention for Wyoming wrestling at Allen Fieldhouse the other day.

Keep those hopes high!!

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

2 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

Portland State drew 4,100 for football last season. The MWC does not need any more school, but if we were to add a BSC school there are much better options, of course that will not happen so I do not know why I bothered to post, silly me.

So they can outdraw SJSU?

Portland State is a perfect fit for the Big Sky and investment in athletic facilities should only help them compete better at that level.  I don't ever see enough alum support and fan interest to drive a push toward FBS/G5 status.  Oregon is owned by the Ducks and despite it's meager athletic history Oregon State has a decent following.  Portland State is the epitomy of a commuter school and with a large non-traditional enrollment like many urban campuses.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

OK.  But a Wyoming fan showed me kindness the other day.  Plus no Wyoming fan has swore at me in over 2 weeks already...

I'm all for showing kindness to #1Stunners everywhere.  As for the no swearing thing we just can't have that.  So have a great weekend Mother f#@ker!