Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Instead of arming teachers what about

6 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Broward County School District has 1 counselor for every 450 students. It's one of the better staffed districts in Florida.

I don't think you can ignore all of the adults at the school.  All teachers and admins have to be engaged in these efforts.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

This happened yesterday where I live: http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/6031320-151/teen-arrested-for-credible-threat-to-shoot-students. This is the high school my daughter will attend, and the school one of my closest friend's two kids go to. This ended well, we think. But this shit is at every school in America, I bet. 

We have a culture problem. And it will take generations to fix.

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

No.  It seems these school shooters are evolving.  They want max carnage so they pull a fire alarm and get kids out into the hallways and open spaces.  I don't have an issue with that device as a backup but, what the hell do you do when the fire alarm goes off?

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

This happened yesterday where I live: http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/6031320-151/teen-arrested-for-credible-threat-to-shoot-students. This is the high school my daughter will attend, and the school one of my closest friend's two kids go to. This ended well, we think. But this shit is at every school in America, I bet. 

We have a culture problem. And it will take generations to fix.

We had a social media threat on a school here in Cheyenne.  They tracked it to a kid in, like Ohio or some other state in the midwest.

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

I don't think you can ignore all of the adults at the school.  All teachers and admins have to be engaged in these efforts.

The educators I know already are.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

With rare exception, shooters come from the population of kids currently in school. It seems to me an easier task for school staff to determine who the high risk kids are and design some sort of process or program that involves frequent contact, engagement and dialog with them. Help them find ways to fit in or at the very least let them know someone cares. Fellow students can help too.  Might not always ID the right kids but with enough personal interaction you have a basis for making that determination.

Not everything has to be shoot em up.

Would be nice if once identified,  there was a way to quickly determine if they have access to any guns in thier household.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Just now, pokebball said:

We had a social media threat on a school here in Cheyenne.  They tracked it to a kid in, like Ohio or some other state in the midwest.

This has been the fourth threat at a Bend high school ... this week. The other three were deemed non-credible. This one was the real deal, it appears.

1 minute ago, NWRebel said:

No.  It seems these school shooters are evolving.  They want max carnage so they pull a fire alarm and get kids out into the hallways and open spaces.  I don't have an issue with that device as a backup but, what the hell do you do when the fire alarm goes off?

The kids are still going into classrooms to hide after the alarms get pulled though. Door barricades aren't going to solve the whole problem, but maybe we have 4 dead kids instead of 17. There is no perfect answer but we can probably reduce the severity and frequency of these incidents with just some action.

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

The kids are still going into classrooms to hide after the alarms get pulled though. Door barricades aren't going to solve the whole problem, but maybe we have 4 dead kids instead of 17. There is no perfect answer but we can probably reduce the severity and frequency of these incidents with just some action.

No one thing can prevent or eliminate this.  Like I said above, we have to consider it all.  A classroom full of kids hear shooting down the hall, this sounds like one tool to help reduce the risk of those kids getting hit.

17 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Office joke aside, although I disagree with many of your premises and how simple they would be to employ, I do agree that it's "better than feel good do nothing legislation."

It's okay, it's the internet and you have no idea what I do for a living.

I think people without personal experience or knowledge put some things on a pedestal when in reality it's within reach of anybodies capabilities.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

23 hours ago, Mano said:

Would be nice if once identified,  there was a way to quickly determine if they have access to any guns in thier household.

This is something that needs a lot of conversation.  Many seem to think that "once identified" solves the problem.  I honestly don't know what the next steps are "once identified".   Mental health in adolescents is a tough nut to crack in my opinion.  Kids are experiencing so much for the first time at this age and dealing with emotions and mental health issues.  This is normal; it's part of growing up.  I've actually been concerned for the past couple of decades because I think we're making it too easy for our youth and they do not get the life events to allow them to grow mentally and emotionally, costing them and society later in life.

How do we give our youth enough rope to grow and mature but not too much rope to harm themselves or others?

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Broward County School District has 1 counselor for every 450 students. It's one of the better staffed districts in Florida.

The kids interact with an adult in small groups at least 6 or 7 adults per day.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, Mano said:

There are ways to determine that. Asking, for a start. A call home to parents is another. Not foolproof but you don't know unless you ask. Keep in mind often the motivation for this stuff is attention seeking. I'm having a hard time getting around how many people knew this kid was troubled and how many didn't do anything.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 hours ago, Boise fan said:

Who would pay for it?  All that training?  And the weapons?  Freaking gov't won't even adequately pay for school supplies for kids to learn with, but suddenly millions are available to make schools armed camps.

It's a fantasy land.

And that doesn't even broach the subject of how difficult it is for anyone to be trained to a "standard" that would be able to take on a determined gunman with a semi-automatic weapon in a place with little to no cover like a school hallway.

The cops have to go in using military style tactics.  Teachers are going to do that?

Might as well just issue Kevlar and helmets for every student and faculty member.  They can keep those in the classrooms.  Or perhaps the kids should have to wear them from now on.  

But again, costs & reality & shit. 

Fantasy land.

They are better off having defensive weapons like those I mentioned in other threads that effectively barricade the doors. 

Who throws more money around congress? The NEA or the NRA?

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

It's okay, it's the internet and you have no idea what I do for a living.

I think people without personal experience or knowledge put some things on a pedestal when in reality it's within reach of anybodies capabilities.

Maybe so, but then I read things from trained soldiers that talk about how hard it is to make and execute the right decisions under that much pressure and adrenaline.

9 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Maybe so, but then I read things from trained soldiers that talk about how hard it is to make and execute the right decisions under that much pressure and adrenaline.

Of course it's hard to make and execute the right decision.  That is exactly why training and experience are so critical.