Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Billy Graham - RIP

3 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

he seemed to be sincere.

In a line of work not known for itl

Agreed, it also seemed that he tried to stay non-partisan, at least outwardly, which gave him opportunity to speak into many a president lives.  The times I listened to him, he seemed focused on everyone's need for repentance and forgiveness, but didn't get down in the weeds of which sins we're worse than others.  For instance, my understanding of scripture, fornication, homosexuality, and adultry are wrong, but many a preacher has gotten bent out of shape over one, with little attention to the other two. 

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

Agreed, it also seemed that he tried to stay non-partisan, at least outwardly, which gave him opportunity to speak into many a president lives.  The times I listened to him, he seemed focused on everyone's need for repentance and forgiveness, but didn't get down in the weeds of which sins we're worse than others.  For instance, my understanding of scripture, fornication, homosexuality, and adultry are wrong, but many a preacher has gotten bent out of shape over one, with little attention to the other two. 

I respected him a great deal for that. This is a great quote from him after he refused to join or support the "Moral Majority". 

I'm for morality, but morality goes beyond sex to human freedom and social justice. We as clergy know so very little to speak with authority on the Panama Canal or superiority of armaments. Evangelists cannot be closely identified with any particular party or person. We have to stand in the middle in order to preach to all people, right and left. I haven't been faithful to my own advice in the past. I will be in the future.

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I respected him a great deal for that. This is a great quote from him after he refused to join or support the "Moral Majority". 

Thanks retro, I figured if there was significant dirt on him, you would find it.  None of us are perfect and I am sure he had faults, but I had respect for his ability to stay focused on what he believed and to minister to many denomination, not just focus narrowly on one.

110926run_defense710.jpg

16 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

My Grandmother took me to see him in the mid-60s at the old Balboa Stadium. He was a good man.

His son is a complete troll. 

Mr. Graham was one of the few evangelicals from my youth who has died with my respect.

Growing up in the bible belt I heard all of them ( circa 1970's through 80's) and he was one I didn't laugh at. 

2 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Mr. Graham was one of the few evangelicals from my youth who has died with my respect.

Growing up in the bible belt I heard all of them ( circa 1970's through 80's) and he was one I didn't laugh at. 

Yeah, he's the only one I can think of that was legit, not a corrupt POS and knew how to handle himself. I think Falwell was completely sincere, but he was just an idiot too much of the time. And could be annoying as hell. 

It's mind blowing that a guy like Swaggart could get caught being his real sleazy self, and then some people came back and supported him to continue preaching. 

But the biggest joke of them all has to be the ultra phony Joel Olsteen and that biitch wife of his. You gotta love this Prosperity Theology crap that he and some others have created to justify them having a lavish lifestyle paid for by his followers. The idea is if you are a good Christian, God will bless you with material things. Olsteen seems pretty busy at his job, so his followers naturally think that he's being rewarded by God and deserves it. What a perfectly created scam to rip people off. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Yeah, he's the only one I can think of that was legit, not a corrupt POS and knew how to handle himself. I think Falwell was completely sincere, but he was just an idiot too much of the time. And could be annoying as hell. 

It's mind blowing that a guy like Swaggart could get caught being his real sleazy self, and then some people came back and supported him to continue preaching. 

But the biggest joke of them all has to be the ultra phony Joel Olsteen and that biitch wife of his. You gotta love this Prosperity Theology crap that he and some others have created to justify them having a lavish lifestyle paid for by his followers. The idea is if you are a good Christian, God will bless you with material things. Olsteen seems pretty busy at his job, so his followers naturally think that he's being rewarded by God and deserves it. What a perfectly created scam to rip people off. 

Good post Convert.

Yeah, it’s too bad Jesus didn’t know about Olsteen’s prosperity ministry ... He could have avoided the crusifixion and all that. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

8 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

My Grandmother took me to see him in the mid-60s at the old Balboa Stadium. He was a good man.

His son held one of his "Revivals" or whatever he calls them in Visalia in '97. Being the good church going high schooler I was at the time, I volunteered for it. The guy was a complete asshat diva before the thing started and treated people like shit when he didn't get things done his way. 

On 2/21/2018 at 7:39 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

I wanted to go to his final SoCal crusade at the Rose Bowl back in 2004 but got snowed in. I was living in Yucca Valley, CA at the time and the Morongo Pass was closed due to snow, so I couldn't make the trip. I agree, he was a good man.

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Rest in peace Billy Graham.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:24 PM, Lester_in_reno said:

he seemed to be sincere.

In a line of work not known for itl

Over all I respect the guy, however I must call BULLSHIT on Billy Graham's sincerity!!!  

Graham is very "sincere" about his anti-sematism 

NIXON:  "...It's (Newsweek) all run by Jews and dominated by them in their editorial pages. The New York Times, the Washington Post, totally Jewish too..."

GRAHAM:  "This stranglehold (the Jews have on the media) has got to be broken or this country is going down the drain."

NIXON:  "Do you believe that?"

GRAHAM:  "Yes Sir!"  I can't ever say it, but I believe it."

Rev Graham's last sentence is anything but "SINCERE."

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

Over all I respect the guy, however I must call BULLSHIT on Billy Graham's sincerity!!!  

Graham is very "sincere" about his anti-sematism 

NIXON:  "...It's (Newsweek) all run by Jews and dominated by them in their editorial pages. The New York Times, the Washington Post, totally Jewish too..."

GRAHAM:  "This stranglehold (the Jews have on the media) has got to be broken or this country is going down the drain."

NIXON:  "Do you believe that?"

GRAHAM:  "Yes Sir!"  I can't ever say it, but I believe it."

Rev Graham's last sentence is anything but "SINCERE."

Not everyone is perfect, like you.

110926run_defense710.jpg

51 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Not everyone is perfect, like you.

Never said I was.  I didn’t claim to be sincer either.  

I can tell you that I’m not an anti-Semite though.

5 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Never said I was.  I didn’t claim to be sincer either.  

I can tell you that I’m not an anti-Semite though.

One comment does not make him an anti-Semite. We've ALL said stupid things that we didn't really mean. And Graham publicly apologized for his remark and made many positive contributions to the Jewish community here in America and abroad. But you didn't mention that, of course.