Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CPslograd

Trump will be proposing gun control legislation

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-citing-‘evil-massacre’-in-florida-starts-talking-about-gun-control/ar-BBJobt2?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

I would be good with limited restrictions such as being 21, magazine limits, and bump stocks.  I don't expect it to make a huge difference, but it might help in some instances.  Would be interested to see how it goes down politically if he moves forward with it.  The left will  say its a sham even though it would be more than Obama ever did, even when he had both houses.  The right, I think will be more split.  The Members of Congress will likely support it, but the libertarians and others will hate it.

9 hours ago, CPslograd said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-citing-‘evil-massacre’-in-florida-starts-talking-about-gun-control/ar-BBJobt2?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

I would be good with limited restrictions such as being 21, magazine limits, and bump stocks.  I don't expect it to make a huge difference, but it might help in some instances.  Would be interested to see how it goes down politically if he moves forward with it.  The left will  say its a sham even though it would be more than Obama ever did, even when he had both houses.  The right, I think will be more split.  The Members of Congress will likely support it, but the libertarians and others will hate it.

If Obama proposed the same thing the right would be dancing around with tea bags on their heads and screaming “tyranny!” The messenger matters more than the message. Such is the age we live in.

I applaud any real effort to stem these shootings, but like you, assume they will mostly be feel-good measures that won’t make much of a difference in the end. The fact is, most gun control measures, fixes to the mental health system, good guys with guns, etc., won’t be an answer. They’ll most likely only help on the margins (which is still better than nothing!).

This is an issue that is cultural, and that is much harder to fix than a few tepid law changes in Washington. I will say, it’s encouraging that these discussions are at least taking place.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

If Obama proposed the same thing the right would be dancing around with tea bags on their heads and screaming “tyranny!” The messenger matters more than the message. Such is the age we live in.

I applaud any real effort to stem these shootings, but like you, assume they will mostly be feel-good measures that won’t make much of a difference in the end. The fact is, most gun control measures, fixes to the mental health system, good guys with guns, etc., won’t be an answer. They’ll most likely only help on the margins (which is still better than nothing!).

This is an issue that is cultural, and that is much harder to fix than a few tepid law changes in Washington. I will say, it’s encouraging that these discussions are at least taking place.

Lots of truth to that.

And yes, the issue is much deeper than just gun control.

5 hours ago, CPslograd said:

so, rather than address the issue at the margins at least, they'll do nothing?

They've all done nothing for years. I suspect that will continue to be standard operating procedure.

28 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Tough row to hoe. I think some states are still holding back mental health records from the feds. 

Nothing significant is going to happen legislatively. Both sides will fight about it, the Republicans will want meaningless measures taken, and the Democrats will want bans on certain types of weapons. Everything will grind to a screeching halt, we'll get something like this tweet.

rsiQpy0.png?2

Then there will be some other Trump administration scandal and we'll all forget about it until there's another shooting. 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:39 PM, CPslograd said:

I feel like giving - even a little bit - will alleviate the pressure building for serious gun control in this country. The NRA has decided that gun rights activists are going to have to die on every single hill possible in the face of kids mowing down each other. It has resulted in no gun control but I feel like this "take no prisoners" attitude will lead to a repeal of the 2nd amendment in the next 50 years.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

31 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Good Lord, he's a moron.

I never said "give teachers guns", I said "give teachers guns". 

Holy +++++ing shit.... I was curious if the "Rule of TrumpTweets" would apply in this instance. Yes, there is literally a hypocritical Donald Trump tweet out there for everything.

48 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I feel like giving - even a little bit - will alleviate the pressure building for serious gun control in this country. The NRA has decided that gun rights activists are going to have to die on every single hill possible in the face of kids mowing down each other. It has resulted in no gun control but I feel like this "take no prisoners" attitude will lead to a repeal of the 2nd amendment in the next 50 years.

Right and then what happens? 

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Right and then what happens? 

Uh... no one gets guns. Did you read my whole post?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.