Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CPslograd

Trump will be proposing gun control legislation

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

I feel like giving - even a little bit - will alleviate the pressure building for serious gun control in this country. The NRA has decided that gun rights activists are going to have to die on every single hill possible in the face of kids mowing down each other. It has resulted in no gun control but I feel like this "take no prisoners" attitude will lead to a repeal of the 2nd amendment in the next 50 years.

I see your point to a degree, though I don't believe we'll enter a situation where the 2nd Amendment would be wholesale repealed. I also don't think that most people, even those on the progressive side of things, want to see guns outlawed in this country. A number of close friends of mine are on that side of the aisle, and don't want a repeal of the 2nd Amendment or for guns to be completely removed. There are certainly people that do, but I think they're a smaller portion of that side of this discussion --- perhaps about the same percentage as the people on the other side who want to be able to own RPGs and fully automatic weapons. 

That being said, if the NRA and the rest of the gun lobby continues down the "take no prisoners" attitude, then when something finally does happen, it's going to be significantly more severe than it would have been otherwise --- especially if we continue to see more shootings at schools or like the Las Vegas incident. 

8 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah do you think the rabid pro gun crowd is going to just hand them over???

You do know how amendments work, right?

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Unless you think guys like BSUTop25 are going to just hand their arsenal over.   Living among many of them I don’t see it happening.  Do you?

I see them being mostly dead. Attachment to gun rights is heavily tied to certain demographic trends that are evaporating.

Furthermore, even if you posit a civil war, isn't that even more of a reason to actually give a little? The last time we had a civil war it was the urban industrialized portion that won, decisively, killing something like 1 in 5 of every white man of military age in the South. Today, the "urban, industrialized portion" has, proportionally, far more power than it did then.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

50 minutes ago, happycamper said:

You do know how amendments work, right?

I see them being mostly dead. Attachment to gun rights is heavily tied to certain demographic trends that are evaporating.

Furthermore, even if you posit a civil war, isn't that even more of a reason to actually give a little? The last time we had a civil war it was the urban industrialized portion that won, decisively, killing something like 1 in 5 of every white man of military age in the South. Today, the "urban, industrialized portion" has, proportionally, far more power than it did then.

Sure that’s why I was exploring the militia model.  

But I don’t think the gun side will accept any restrictions and the “we have had enough” side will accept no restrictions.   I would be happy to be wrong.  In fact, I hope I’m wrong but I have seen nothing to indicate people are willing to compromise here.   

10 minutes ago, AlvinLee said:

That shows a concerted lack of understanding of the issues involved.    There was an armed security guard in the high school in Parkland.  Hell there was one at Columbine, who engaged the shooters.  Worked out well, right?

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

23 hours ago, happycamper said:

I feel like giving - even a little bit - will alleviate the pressure building for serious gun control in this country. The NRA has decided that gun rights activists are going to have to die on every single hill possible in the face of kids mowing down each other. It has resulted in no gun control but I feel like this "take no prisoners" attitude will lead to a repeal of the 2nd amendment in the next 50 years.

i agree.

22 hours ago, retrofade said:

I see your point to a degree, though I don't believe we'll enter a situation where the 2nd Amendment would be wholesale repealed. I also don't think that most people, even those on the progressive side of things, want to see guns outlawed in this country. A number of close friends of mine are on that side of the aisle, and don't want a repeal of the 2nd Amendment or for guns to be completely removed. There are certainly people that do, but I think they're a smaller portion of that side of this discussion --- perhaps about the same percentage as the people on the other side who want to be able to own RPGs and fully automatic weapons. 

That being said, if the NRA and the rest of the gun lobby continues down the "take no prisoners" attitude, then when something finally does happen, it's going to be significantly more severe than it would have been otherwise --- especially if we continue to see more shootings at schools or like the Las Vegas incident. 

oh, im pretty sure a lot of progressives want to outlaw guns.  all yo have to do is talk to them about it long enough, and it eventually comes out.

19 hours ago, Boise fan said:

That shows a concerted lack of understanding of the issues involved.    There was an armed security guard in the high school in Parkland.  Hell there was one at Columbine, who engaged the shooters.  Worked out well, right?

What else would you expect from huge dump?