Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mano

So, what do you think of the death penalty?

Do you favor the death penalty?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor the death penalty?

5 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Every country, even those with government sponsored health care, rations care.

Not talking about rationing.  Rationing isn't the same as making it unavailable or too expensive to utilize. 

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

8 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I said earlier, I'm against it overall, but I always think "Why should we support this person with taxpayer funds given their cost on society that put them in this position"

Flip your argument.

It isn't the cost of keeping them alive, but the cost to keep society safe. Like our military budget, police forces etc.

One of the Final Five..........

16 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’m OK with it but only in cases where there’s indisputable and undeniable proof of guilt (not “evidence” per se but video, picture, multiple independent eye witness accounts, etc.)...  for example, this latest school shooting?  I have no problem if that kid is executed.

Let me just ask you this question... would you still be in support of the death penalty if Comrade fan somehow seized control of the government? Something tells me you would be singling a different tune if you were thrown into a box car heading to one of his gulag death camps. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

22 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Let me just ask you this question... would you still be in support of the death penalty if Comrade fan somehow seized control of the government? Something tells me you would be singling a different tune if you were thrown into a box car heading to one of his gulag death camps. 

We’d all be faced with far bigger problems than support or non-support of the death penalty if this scenario ever occurred.

:pitchforks:

v0icAvfW.jpg

59 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

We’d all be faced with far bigger problems than support or non-support of the death penalty if this scenario ever occurred.

:pitchforks:

I respectfully disagree considering Comrade fan's tolerance of opposing points of view ... this problem would quickly make its way to the top of the list. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On 2/21/2018 at 5:50 PM, jackmormon said:

You would lose your wager for sure. I still enjoy reading an actual newspaper while drinking coffee or with a meal.

The guy made a deal to plead to manslaughter, then withdrew his guilty plea. I knew about it and that’s why I was excused.

At a high school playoff game and picked up a Sac Bee on the way over 

California, the most left leaning state in the country, voted against Proposition 62 in the 2016 general election.  This proposition, which would have abolished the death penalty in California, failed with 46 percent of the vote despite research from the CBO that the measure would have saved taxpayers millions.  

The most progressive state in the country voted to spend MORE MONEY to kill people.  

How do you reconcile the fact that the majority of the populace of the most progressive state in the country are for the death penalty when over 2/3 of this board are against it?

6 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

California, the most left leaning state in the country, voted against Proposition 62 in the 2016 general election.  This proposition, which would have abolished the death penalty in California, failed with 46 percent of the vote despite research from the CBO that the measure would have saved taxpayers millions.  

The most progressive state in the country voted to spend MORE MONEY to kill people.  

How do you reconcile the fact that the majority of the populace of the most progressive state in the country are for the death penalty when over 2/3 of this board are against it?

This board is made up of college grads.   Education makes many of us better decision makers.

1 hour ago, Los_Aztecas said:

Charles Manson?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 hours ago, Los_Aztecas said:

What was the voter turnout?

Poll sampling doesn’t always reflect the voting group.

One of the Final Five..........

3 hours ago, Los_Aztecas said:

Do as I say, not as I do.  We all feel better that we are tough on crime.

110926run_defense710.jpg

3 hours ago, mysfit said:

What was the voter turnout?

Poll sampling doesn’t always reflect the voting group.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article119672758.html

Highest turnout since 2008, record win for Dems, all spending propositions passed.

On 2/22/2018 at 1:29 PM, retrofade said:

I'm 100% against the death penalty... which is a complete reversal from what my beliefs were until about 10 years ago. The main thing that caused me to change my mind was reading The Innocent Man by John Grisham, which is a non-fiction book that tells the story of the wrongful conviction of Ron Williamson, and the lengths the police and authorities in Oklahoma went to in order to secure a death penalty verdict against a man that didn't even commit the crime. It also goes into the stories of three other men from the same area in Oklahoma who were also wrongfully convicted and sentenced to death for crimes that they didn't commit.

FWIW, I would also recommend The Innocent Man. Same as @retrofade, it was a large part of the reason that I'm 100% against the death penalty now, which was not where I was I prior to reading it.