Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mano

So, what do you think of the death penalty?

Do you favor the death penalty?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor the death penalty?

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46265221&nid=757&title=utah-gop-lawmakers-pushing-to-end-death-penalty

SALT LAKE CITY — Republican state lawmakers, including House Speaker Greg Hughes, are again pushing to end the death penalty in Utah.

Hughes, R-Draper, said ending capital punishment is usually seen as "left-leaning, liberal" endeavors but that he supports that effort as a "staunch conservative." Government, he said, "can and will" get it wrong when it comes to executing someone.

Thought I would post this since there doesn't seem to be enough controversy on the board.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

2 minutes ago, Mano said:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46265221&nid=757&title=utah-gop-lawmakers-pushing-to-end-death-penalty

Thought I would post this since there doesn't seem to be enough controversy on the board.

I think the way it's been applied has been seriously compromised by the legal system being as screwed up as it is.

I do favor it for killers.  I don't like that serial killers languish in prison, often living out their lives with confinement being the only real punishment. 

But until the legal system cleans up its act, it's not a reasonable punishment. 

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

Guest #1Stunner

After our poor showing in these Winter Olympics....

If someone helps the Communists (like that bastard the Unabomber and that Robert Haansen), then yes I support it on a limited basis. 

I'd be all for it if we could be sure that we had the right person convicted.  Too many wrong/corrupt/overworked cops/public defenders/judges to get it right.  Although, I would be tempted to have it for your second conviction with different victim, facts, judge and jury.  Nobody is unlucky enough to be wrongly convicted twice.

1 hour ago, Mano said:

I'd like to be for it if it was a perfect system but since it's not, I could never get over executing someone that might be innocent.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

In seriousness, no I don't favor it.

It isn't a deterrent, it is not justice it's simply vengeance. State sanctioned murder. And yes my view has changed over time. I used to be pro, but my opinion has changed.

Dealing death as justice is not what I believe in.

One of the Final Five..........

The state should not have the authority to decide life or death in a contained, non-threatening situation. The death penalty/executions are morally wrong.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

6 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

seems like widespread agreement against the death penalty... I’m a little shocked.

Although I favor it, I was surprised the % opposed.  Who was the last not-guilty executed?

110926run_defense710.jpg

30 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Although I favor it, I was surprised the % opposed.  Who was the last not-guilty executed?

Yeah what @halfmanhalfbronco said. Even in the face of overwhelming evidence, I don’t think the state can kill someone based on the “reasonable doubt” standard. Even an unreasonable doubt is still doubt.

34 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Robert Pruett Texas Convicted 2002 Executed 2017

Texas executed Robert Pruett on October 12, 2017, after the Texas courts deemed DNA evidence in his case "inconclusive" and denied him a stay of execution to further review the evidence in his case. Pruett was sentenced to death in 2002 for the 1999 stabbing death of Officer Daniel Nagle, a state correctional officer who was at the center of a prison corruption investigation. Pruett had long maintained that he had been framed for the murder. Earlier on the day of the mjrder, Officer Nagle had given Pruett a disciplinary write-up for eating a sandwich in an unauthorized area. A bloody shank and a torn-up copy of the disciplinary report were found next to the officer’s body. Pruett had no history of prison violence. The prosecution's case turned on dubious testimony from prison informants and the junk-science testimony of a forensic analyst who linked the tape wrapped around the handle of the shank used to kill Nagle to the prison craft shop in which Pruett’s cellmate worked. A state investigator’s notes that had not been disclosed to the defense revealed that a key prison witness—Harold Mitchell—had been promised a transfer to a prison close to his family’s home in Virginia if he testified against Pruett, and had been threatened with being charged with Nagle’s murder if he did not. Pruett's post-conviction lawyers later debunked the forensic methodology the state's expert had used to link the tape on the murder weapon to Pruett, and results of a subsequent DNA test of the murder weapon found DNA that did not match either Pruett or Nagle. According to Pruett’s clemency petition, Officer Nagle had been working to identify corrupt correctional officers who had been helping prison gangs launder drug money, and Nagle's name had been discovered on a secret note that had been passed between inmates, which said that a prison gang wanted the officer dead. The same day Pruett was indicted, four correctional officers were indicted on federal bribery charges for participating in a drug smuggling ring. Pruett’s lawyers argued that the unidentified DNA may belong “to the person [who] killed Nagle.” 

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Robert Pruett Texas Convicted 2002 Executed 2017 

Thanks, I was curious. Much more recent than I expected.  I think one is owed reconsideration when new facts come to light.  Juries should know all consideration received by witnesses.

110926run_defense710.jpg