Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

OT: For you Texas Expansionists

20 hours ago, brillio said:

CUSA and sun belt aren’t that different anymore. They really should just split them in half and all the schools in the west go to one conference and the east go to another one. Then maybe nmsu can get an invite to the western conference 

Agreed.

And should the MW decide to add a school from Texas, it should be Texas State whose stadium and arena in combination beat the heck out  of what UTSA and UNT have.

Boom goes the dynamite.

24 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Agreed.

And should the MW decide to add a school from Texas, it should be Texas State whose stadium and arena in combination beat the heck out  of what UTSA and UNT have.

I think we are in the final round of split in football between P5 and G5.  I am not sure what will trigger the "official" separation, but once that happens i think more regional conferences will make sense.  Splitting CUSA/Sun Belt into 2 new conferences with schools closer in proximity could happen.  Maybe looking at something 5-7 years away.  MWC could be spared in a new G5 realignment if B12 stands pat, but if the conference is pulled apart by Texas/Oklahoma departing for example, all bets are off.  It would be chaos again and B12 and MWC could end up looking completely different.  2024 when B12 GOR expires could be the last chance any of the G5 teams can make a move before the train leaves the station, if not sooner.

27 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

I love how the community college in Vegas is so desperate to leave NEVADA behind. Seeing as NEVADA has had much greater success in both football AND basketball this century than UNLV, it's almost as though they subconsciously are acknowledging that the the only way to beat Nevada is to have them relegated to an inferior conference. 

That's from the the BSU playbook...

21 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Agreed.

I guess you haven't seen UNT basketball arena and other facilities?

7 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

That's from the the BSU playbook...

Hey, you rode Boise's coattails to the Big West, after that, you were on your own.  It's not Boise's fault DUI shet the bed!!

down in a hole.jpg

No additions......just the subtraction of SJSU.

If an addition to replace them is necessary, add Eastern Washington.  Boise and EWU games will alternate every year from a blue to red field.

50ccfb3eeab8ea1c39000014-750-421.jpg

Boise_State_vs_San_Jose_offensive_pocket

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

I guess you haven't seen UNT basketball arena and other facilities?

All I need to know about UNT is that in the first game in its new football stadium against a quality opponent in Houston, about 15% of the seats were vacant.

Boom goes the dynamite.

13 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

All I need to know about UNT is that in the first game in its new football stadium against a quality opponent in Houston, about 15% of the seats were vacant.

What you posted was Texas state combination of stadium and arena beat the heck out of what UNT of UTSA have. Texas state does not have near the facilities in either sport or the athletic support facilities than UNT have. I have seen them both and it is not even close.

I see no reason to add any new members at this time, and I doubt any full memberships will be considered.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Agreed.

You are probably right.... 

Texas State actually cares, and is upgrading their facilities.  North Texas is also not bad.   UTSA is the bottom of the barrel. 

TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY (enrollment: 38,800)

(currently expanding their basketball arena, to remove a wall, and expand capacity)

30.jpg

Strahan_Coliseum_2015_16_3_.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
27 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

Do the texas schools field Quiddich?

sjsu-quidditch.jpg?w=620

Funny you posted that...

The discussion has come up among BYU fans regarding why some of the WCC schools in the Bay Area don't have more fan support (San Francisco, Santa Clara)  Saint Mary's is OK.

some of the BYU fans who live there say that traditional sports like football and basketball are dying a rapid death in Northern California and aren't popular anymore.   That there is no interest for youth sports for either basketball or football, and that even high school sports quality and interest is dropping for those two sports.

It looks like Northern California is much more into Soccer going forward, and maybe will support Pro teams.   But that is about it.   Even Cal and Stanford have declining fan interest.

Bay Area is more liberal, singles and people with smaller families (few kids), and has priced out many folks.   It is a Silicon Valley, Soccer and tech / video game culture now.

As I said, UTSA's facilities are awful. The Alamodome was built to lure an NFL franchise and with 64,000 seats it is 100% larger than UTSA needs. And the basketball arena shouts BIG WEST!

As to UNT, to repeat, any school which opens a brand new stadium half as big as the Alamodome by hosting one of the handful of best G5 teams in the country yet has 4K empty seats should never be a candidate for promotion to a higher level conference.

Viva Tejas pero los ambos son basura.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 2/20/2018 at 5:33 PM, RebelRobert said:

UNLV

SDSU

BYU

Boise

New Mexico

Colorado State

SMU

Houston

Stronger Conference than the original MWC-8.

Potential Expansion Candidates:

Fresno, Memphis

With a tight geography & travel, warm weather, good tv exposure, good football bowls, eastern and central time zones, and depth in both football and basketball, I just don't see any team leaving the AAC unless it is a P5 invite.  With the recent addition of WIchita State, the folding of Navy games within the AAC TV contract {excluding Army/Navy game}, the consensus of AAC followeres is just to sit tight for the time being. 

There is no comparison between UNT, Texas State and UTSA.

San Antonio is a captive college football audience, hosts a bowl game and shows up to their sporting events in a sizable area.

The other two can be shoe-horned into DMAs that barely register, where they're out in the sticks at best. Who cares what they've built facility wise? They must keep everything tip-top just to remain relevant in Denton and San Marcos.

Facility can be improved. UTSA's ceiling is way higher, way younger and comes at a discount.

5 hours ago, Cincy said:

No additions......just the subtraction of SJSU.

If an addition to replace them is necessary, add Eastern Washington.  Boise and EWU games will alternate every year from a blue to red field.

50ccfb3eeab8ea1c39000014-750-421.jpg

Boise_State_vs_San_Jose_offensive_pocket

Make them always play neutral site at the purple field, wanna say Central Arkansas.